1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jonathan Givony] Rockets trying to trade up in the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 26, 2012.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thats why he listed three teams instead of one. Lin is not as good a point as Lowry. No matter how much you like him. Williams will not go to any team but Lakers or Dallas. What exactly will teams be giving up for Lowry. Each one of those teams has a low lotto pick. Getting a near all-star point with a low lotto pick would be a steal.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

There is NOBODY in ClutchFans who will cheer harder for Sullinger. (Unless he somehow winds up on the MIA CHeat). Sullinger is a 100% class act in the mold of Kevin Durant.

That said, his lack of a quick leap is going to be a huge hindrance in the pros. The Rockets had a lot of floor spacers with Yao. Yao routinely got his shoot blocked by weakside defenders.

Sullinger...when in his comfort zone...unfortunately plays the game at too slow a pace. And he'll need a better face up game. Best case scenario would be your #3 scoring option.

Obviously, none of this will appear in a $Ball calculation. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Trade up, then trade everything you have for Dwight and Pau. Keep Goran, Lee, and Parsons.

How realistic is that cap-wise? If it works, i think that's the plan.

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Though, you are talking about some high potential players with those picks who could get your team over the hump or push them a little further up the standings.

Lowry is a solid point guard, but honestly he cannot change the outlook of a team. I do not think he can make an awful team into a contender. It's still a risky deal to trade such a high pick for Lowry. What if one of those picks turn into a superstar player? Yet on the same account, they could turn into a bust. Most of all, GMs know this and even getting Lowry, they'd only be a contender for the playoffs at best. He has ceiling to his game.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not so much for teams like NO and Portland. They actually have good teams to put Lowry in. Getting Lowry could be the key to keeping Gordon in NO and pairing Lowry with the likes of Batum and Aldridge presents a very tempting possibility for Portland.

6. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

The Sky is Blue

7. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I really wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to move up for Sullinger. I don't think he's a center but he could play well next to Motiejunas. He's probably the second choice after Beal, but we would probably have to move up into the top 3 for him.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I doubt it. He will fall to 12-14. Workouts will reveal in time.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

1. New Orleans still has other positions to fill and most likely Gilchrist, Robinson, Drummond, or even Beal could still be on the board. Also, they may not match Gordon's offer, if it gets to pricey. If they have a feeling Gordon's coming back, they'll just draft for another position.

2. Lowry-Batum-Aldridge screams 6th at best in the Western conference. Most of all, Batum may not even return, as his asking price may get pricey and he actually wants to someway or somehow go to San Antonio to play with Tony Parker.

They may not draft Beal, but they could also draft one of the other big draft names, like Barnes, Gilchrist, or Lamb.

It wouldn't make sense for them to do anything until draft night.

10. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Unless the Rockets can get into the top ten, or do so without endangering not having two picks, I'd rather stand pat.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm only talking #'s 10 and 11 picks. Not the top picks of the two teams.

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I wanna keep Lowry, but he wants out anyway. So might as well try to send him to portland in a package for the 6th pick

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't always agree with your posts but you need to post more. I've always stopped to read your posts regardless if I agreed or not. You seem to have been disgruntled since the Rudy Gay for Shane Battier trade. Before then you had to easily be one of the more populer posters. Regardless I always enjoy your posts.

That said, I see Sullinger as a taller version of Chuck Hayes. I don't think he will ever be a shot blocker but I do think he will be a really good post defender. I think he could be as good as Scola if his face up game continues to grow. I don't think he will effectively play power forward due to his lack of athleticism. I see him as a guy who could average 15 points a game on very high percentage shooting but not someone that can take over a game on the offensive end.

14. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

so wait. if he is a mav, spur or jazz you would cheer for him? :grin:

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im going to have to disagree with that statement with all due respect. Sullinger looks like Chuck, but from watching him play for the past two years he's definitely 100X better offensively. You are talking about a kid with a knack for rebounding, and finding ways to score in the paint. He just has that gift for tracking the basketball.

Oh, and like Kevin Love, he has a very nice touch from outside. Kevin Love is Kevin Love, and its unfair to compare their talent level at this point, but its not unfair to say that they have a similar set of skills and physical attributes.

I think he's going to be a traditional NBA PF because, like Love, he doesn't really have the length to keep taller post players in check on the defensive end because of the length they possess. In the NBA it will be two-fold.

If your a team that needs inside scoring, and a rebounding machine, Sullinger is the best you can get in this draft. Last time I checked, the Rockets desperately lacked low post scoring. If they can trade up to get him I will be very happy with that pick.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Hayes? Boozer would a much better comparison. And Love play PF very well without athleticism.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He will be a good post defender because he is big with a low center of gravity. He will be impossible to bump out defensively. Offensively, he's going to require a double team. The big question is can he pass out effectively.

Yeah, he doesn't have hops. But he's got a big derrier and the skill set to know how to use it. Bulky guys don't need hops if they know how to use their bulk to create space.

We're not even talking about his face up game.

Sully is a bigger Barkley after Barkley aged and lost his quicks and hops. Except Sully is 21 instead of 36.

He's going to get 17/8 in his rookie campaign and will be in the top 4 rookie of the year voting.

18. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

More spacing will also help him offensively in the post as well. Wouldn't be shocked if he's drafted by the Kings or Blazers at 5-6 if Robinson isn't available. If not there, I can't see him falling past the Pistons at 9.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I like Sullinger and would be happy to have him on the team. I agree that he is a better scorer than Chuck (I said I thought the guy would average about 15 ppg with a high shooting percentage) but IMO they have a lot in common.

Both use position and lower body strength to defend. Both box out and use position to rebound below the rim. Both are good rebounders and both track the ball well. Neither play above the rim and neither are good shot blockers.

Chuck had major limitations because he was only 6'6" while Sullinger should be better at 6'9". Chuck is an outstanding passer but I don't know if Sullenger will be. Sullinger loves to creat body contact going up to score and has the strength to finish against taller more athletic centers trying to block his shot.

No they are not identical but they do have a lot of similarities IMO.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Can't see the Kings taking him. Of course, they do a lot of weird things. And they may be done with Demarcus and ready to move him. But Demarcus and Sullinger together doesn't make sense to me.

Don't see Sullinger with Aldridge either. I think Portland really wants to get a PG. I think if they have the opportunity to get their mits on Lillard, they will take him and not look back.