1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jonathan Givony] Rockets trying to trade up in the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 26, 2012.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is for Lillard or Sullinger. These guys just may fall low enough for the Rockets to move up. I expect this will be the first year the Rockets are throwing in a player as coveted as Lowry as part of a potential trade up package.

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Well I dont see how Botson could move up past us with two lower picks. So the Rockets better get that done. Ohh and include Lowry in that deal if you have to. You already know what he wants.

3. QazQay

QazQay Member

In all the previous years the Rockets have tried to move up, they have had a specific target in mind--Cousins, Rubio, Valanciunas.

This year I think they are targeting Sullinger. He is
    a) a center (our biggest need and the same position as 2 of our previous draft targets)
    b) a bit undersized (Morey loves the undersized players)
    c) attainable (likely fall outside the top 8)
    d) already established (Morey doesn't draft on potential
    e) offensive minded (Morey tends to value offense more than defense in his acquisitions (Valanciunas, Kmart, Budinger, Morris, NeNe)

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Hornets, Kings and Blazers (all of whom have a high lottery pick) could really use a PG like Kyle Lowry! :grin: ;)

5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Get it done this time Morey. Its your job on the line. No really it is this time. So get it done.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Or they could just take Dragic away from us or go after Lin or Williams. I doubt those teams give up that much for Lowry by himself.

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Right. Thats why people say one draft pick plus Lowry. ;)

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

• Benson will run the Hornets, how?
    • Thomas did a nice job in Sac last season.
    • W
    hen will the Blazers find a GM - - and a direction.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Well first of all, free agency signing's aren't guaranteed, any of these teams could lose out on all three PG's. Not to mention Lowry is on a really cheap contract relative to his playing level, probably cheaper then what Williams or Dragic will make.

Additionally Rockets could also provide these teams with an additional mid 1st rounder and/or late lottery pick in a package with Kyle Lowry. Personally, I think their is a trade to be had here, it just comes down to both teams meeting at the middle.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

But the best players in draft are all arguably in top 5, and some of the players are projected to be very good, like Beal, Gilchrist, Davis, Robinson and even Barnes.

Such players can be risk, yet hard to come by, if they pan out. Lowry is a good player, but he's much easier to replace or make up the difference for.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think that the player Sully is closest to in size and ability is Scola; a little wider, about the same height, about the same range and post up moves, about the same vertical and about the same lateral quickness. I can't see him as an effective NBA center.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Uhh yeah, I think most people would agree.. Drummond is going #2 as long as he doesn't take a dump at center court during private workouts, and I could see Rivers moving up in the draft like Curry did a few years ago.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey should tell the world he's going to trade DOWN just to throw everybody off.

1 person likes this.
  14. vick

vick Member

Dont you mean knee pads

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Telling everyone so far never works with this guy. Morey needs to shut up and get it done. He is like the man who cant keep his plans from the hero coming to save the day and then he goes on this long eveil sinister monologue. Before you know it that idiot Morey gave some other person a chance to swoop in and steal away his plans from him. I wish he would just SHUT UP AND DO IT ALREADY!

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Portland will move up and draft the first 10 picks ... 8 of them will have career-ending injuries within the first 3 years... the other 2 will be traded. The Rockets will end up with a 6'9" PF and a 6'8.5" PF. In the 2nd round they will move up to draft the best player available, who coincidentally will be a 6'8" center.

Bet me.

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

They blew off a number 8 pick in a deep draft for glue. They've got two Lottery picks that can't get onto the court. Or lack productivity and constency if/when they do. They nearly corraled an entire Top 9 Lottery draft via trades. All with zippo results.

They've drafted two 2nd rounders that would get PT on a contender.

With a track record like that...they should be looking to trade down! :p

#57 GATER, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  18. QazQay

QazQay Member

Sullinger is much better than Scola IMO. He's A LOT wider than Scola and at 286 pounds can bang with centers pretty well. He has a low center of gravity like Chuck Hayes and could be a very good defender. He can also block shots occasionally and rebound much better than Scola. He is slow though, and that's why he'll probably end up being a center.

19. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

We got that same report last year. And the year before that. And what pick dod we end up with in those drafts? No splash. No splash indeed.

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we're going back to Battier days, we should add in Landry as another 2nd rounder that would be in a rotation anywhere (assuming you're currently counting Parsons/Budinger). And Brooks picked in the 20s did more than our lotto picks have.

You may be onto something!