1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Feigen on SR610

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Apr 15, 2012.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Feigen talking playoff race, Lowry-Dragic combination, potential 1st round matchups, Kevin Martin, off-season targets & strategy, rebuilding without tanking, tanking as a strategic move, the idea that the lottery is fixed & the upcoming games against the Nuggets.

Regarding Kevin Martin Feigen said: "I would be surprised if he's not in a different uniform, if not (by the start of) next season, by the end of next season."

On off-season targets & 'strategy': "I don't think it's about targeting in free agency. They want the signature star... well, who's that? Of the foundation of your franchise-stars Deron Williams is the one who's a free agent this year. It's just such a small likelihood of getting him.

It's more, when you have the cap room that they've got, you can make a trade for someone who's got one of those max or near max contracts, who either isn't working out or a team needs to make a move for financial reason and take back nothing in terms of cost. [...]

Would Memphis move one of it's big contract guys? Can Memphis really have 3 max contracts and Mike Conley's contract? That logic would say no. They don't draw anywhere near well enough, their gate is nowhere near well enough for that, but their owner is extremely deep-pocketed and at this stage of his life it's his interest. His daughter runs his businesses, he runs or at least his effections are for his franchise. All indications are they're not gonna move one of those guys, but you know these things happen... so that's all you can do.

You position yourself, so that if someone says 'Yeah we got to make a move, we'll take the young guys, we'll take the draft picks, you take our big money player', they've got the room to do that.
    The reason it gets complicated is if they keep their cap holds to retain their rights on Dragic and Lee, then you don't have the max room and so a trade typically takes longer than free-agency decisions come.
    So now Lee and Dragic are ready to make a move, it's mid-July, [...]they gotta sign with somebody. You either go 'OK. We'll give you that offer too', then you lose that cap space or you hang on to your big cap space and you lose your guys."

On Beasley: "I don't think that's the direction they want to go."

<span style='text-align:left;display:block;'><p><object type='application/x-shockwave-flash' data='http://s2.wp.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?m=1236370442g' width='290' height='24' id='audioplayer1'><param name='movie' value='http://s2.wp.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?m=1236370442g' /><param name='FlashVars' value='&amp;bg=0xf8f8f8&amp;leftbg=0xeeeeee&amp;lefticon=0x666666&amp;rightbg=0xcccccc&amp;rightbghover=0x999999&amp;righticon=0x772124&amp;righticonhover=0xffffff&amp;text=0x666666&amp;slider=0x666666&amp;track=0xFFFFFF&amp;border=0x666666&amp;loader=0x772124&amp;soundFile=http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d0/dZ/dD/dD/dB/ZDDB_3.MP3' /><param name='quality' value='high' /><param name='menu' value='false' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#FFFFFF' /><param name='wmode' value='opaque' /></object></p></span>

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d0/dA/dH/d4/10AH4_3.MP3

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/15/jonathan-feigen-talks-rockets-playoff-push/

2 people like this.
  2. HMMMHMM

*affections, not effections

3. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

so basically nothing

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, more hot air.

Nonetheless, thanks HMMMHMM.

#4 J.R., Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

New year, same ****.

DD

1 person likes this.
  6. HMMMHMM

Yeah, I guess you could say it's mostly hot air.

On the other hand Feigen is pretty much spot on on all the topics they talk about and I thought the Kevin Martin part was interesting, as Feigen is obviously pretty well connected.
    Some (most?) of us may already have had assumed that Martin is a goner, but I still feel like Feigen sharing that view is somewhat news-worthy.

Also, it's not his fault that this feels like the previous summers all over again. It just what it is. I feel like pretty much every day people are talking about the off-season and free agency targets XYC.
    Well, I understand that's fun and all, but with the cap situation the Rockets are in the likelihood they'll make some kind of splash in free-agency is just so small, that most of it unfortunately is hot air.

It is what is. Next man up. Battle fight. Assets.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

What about the Astros? :p

On Martin, maybe DD is right and they are just keeping him away. I'm not sure I honestly believe that in my heart of hearts but...you never know. ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Considering they traded him already I think it's safe to say he is on the block. My problem is he is a much better scorer than Lee or Parsons and no matter how much you loves those guys heart we still end up with a lethargic offensive squad.

9. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

i want that star by next year ;), if not same s*** different year:rolleyes:

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

It will depend on how deep we go. If we do well in the 1st (heck, hopefully 2nd), we'll re-sign those guys.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Keep in mind that Feigan corrected himself and said he would be surprised if Kevin Martin was a Rockets at the "end" of next season. I think the Rockets would love to move him and take nothing back to clear up cap space to resign Lee/Dragic but its going to be tough to do that without taking back alot of salary this summer.

So your almost better off keeping Martin if the perfect trade isn't there. See what you can get out of him next season, and if all else fails, you can easily move him at the Feb. 2013 trade deadline for good pieces. The amount you can get back for him should be better in February.

I like what Feigan said about the ridiculousness of the NBA being fixed. He's right, but we all love to feel victimized. Its just natural. Still hate Stern though.

1 person likes this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is no question of keeping Martin away, every man is needed for the playoff push. He isn't physically fit to play.
    DD doesn't use reason at times,goes with his heart.:)

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sounds like Daryl Morey is hoping the Michael Heisley would die ASAP.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

But would that make any sense short of KMart = LOKard? How do you trade an expensive shooter's contract with an injured shoulder not on display as AOK?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have no idea, but when I hear Morey speak etc, it just feels like Kmart is an afterthought and they are sticking to a script....which leads me to believe he is deactivated on purpose and they intend to move him in the summer.

DD

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Again, ... would that make any sense short of KMart = LOKard? How do you trade an expensive shooter's contract with an injured shoulder not on display as AOK?

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thats ridiculous, even if they do want to move him. Which I believe they would like to do to free up cap space to resign Gogi. I think its going to be a priority if possible, but the Rockets have been out there saying that this ligament tear isnt healing properly.

No team is going to trade for him with a major injury like that. What purpose do they have by saying we have an injured player making 12 mil next year, you want him? umm... not likely. If they wanted to trade him, they would want him healthy and playing to increase his value.

18. cod

cod Member

I think they'll up the ante on their pursuit of Granger or Iggy. The rumors about those two have been consistent in the last few years.

Even though a lot here don't recognise it. The Rockets weakness is on the wings. It's where their game breakdowns mostly because of mismatches. it's become more apparent this season.

Martin will be an expiring contract. I think he'll want to leave for a coach like Adelman or Rivers who'll run screens for him all game.

19. HMMMHMM

Feigen on 610 again, talking about the Lowry situation & some other stuff:

- Said Lowry and McHale were beefing all year. Said Kyle and McHale didn't really see eye to eye in terms of how they were doing things. Kyle appernetly also at times felt singled out by McHale and that he was unduely blamed when he didn't perform after coming back from his infection.
    - Thinks there's a pretty good chance Lowry is on this team next year, as Morey won't pull the trigger on a deal he doesn't love. Could see Lowry moved on draft night though, as he's a valued commodity around the league.
    - However also said that for now everything is about getting a star, so Lowry won't be moved unless he's part of a package that gets that star or something that improves our odds of getting that star.
    - Doesn't think this summer is make or break for Morey, as Les doesn't roll that way. Also said Les is involed in all the dececsion and [therefore] thinks Les is still on board with the whole plan (no kidding, it's his own freaking plan).

<span style='text-align:left;display:block;'><p><object type='application/x-shockwave-flash' data='http://s2.wp.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?m=1236370442g' width='290' height='24' id='audioplayer1'><param name='movie' value='http://s2.wp.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?m=1236370442g' /><param name='FlashVars' value='&amp;bg=0xf8f8f8&amp;leftbg=0xeeeeee&amp;lefticon=0x666666&amp;rightbg=0xcccccc&amp;rightbghover=0x999999&amp;righticon=0x772124&amp;righticonhover=0xffffff&amp;text=0x666666&amp;slider=0x666666&amp;track=0xFFFFFF&amp;border=0x666666&amp;loader=0x772124&amp;soundFile=http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d0/dL/d4/d9/10L49_3.MP3'/><param name='quality' value='high' /><param name='menu' value='false' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#FFFFFF' /><param name='wmode' value='opaque' /></object></p></span>

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d0/dL/d4/d9/10L49_3.MP3
    http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/05/28/jonathan-fagan-discusses-the-disgruntled-kyle-lowry-situation

1 person likes this.
  20. clos4life

clos4life Member

See, this is why Feigen is not a great journalist. If he knew they were beefing all year why did he wait so long to let us know?

If Woj (yahoo) had gotten wind of the beefing he would have chased the story like a hound dog and gotten us all the details instead of holding all the information and waiting until after Lowry exposes it himself before telling us all about it.