1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jonathan Feigen] Milicic for PF? (Just speculation)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ham, Jun 17, 2007.

1. ham

ham Member

HTML:
    http://blogs.chron.com/nba/
    How Rashard Lewis signing somewhere else could help the Rockets
    Since we have a few more weeks to be unrealistic, and I was feeling left out having to always be the wet blanket, I had to take my turn.

Now I could not go far enough to think the Rockets will have a third player on their roster making in excess of $12 million a year. That rules out Rashard Lewis. And I have been told often enough that they are not chasing Ron Artest, though purely from a basketball standpoint, I cannot blame anyone for imagining adding him to the mix.

So I had to come up with another one.

If you look at the lists, there would not seem to be free agent power forwards that they can afford (Anderson Varejao) or get to move by offering a mid-level exception (Andres Nocioni).

Mikki Moore is interesting and would be a good addition to a power forward by committee mix. Joe Smith would offer the Juwan Howard things. Melvin Ely? Zarko Cabarkapa? Eh.

So how about this one?

Rashard might be the top free agent out there. If you are Orlando and you have the money and you have the dynamic, young low post presence in Dwight Howard, can you do better than putting Lewis and his length and shooting touch together with Howard?

Here's the catch. To have that much cap room, the Magic would have to renounce their bird rights to Darko Milicic. The cap hold on Milicic takes up too much room to open the space for someone at Lewis' asking price. They plan to sign Milicic, but if they could get Lewis, they would have a chance to become pretty special in the East.

Milicic would expect more than mid-level exception, but a couple guys that expect that won't get it.

I've never been sure about Milicic. But he does have the size. He has perimeter shooting touch that would go well next to Yao. I've never been certain if he competes hard enough and with enough toughness and discipline to be a full-time power forward in the west. But if he is still standing when the big money music stops, he might be a very interesting option.

I'm not sure what I think of this. And it might never be an option if the Magic or someone else locks him up quickly. But Milicic is different from anyone the Rockets have at the position. He could eventually become a backup to Yao, too. He might be ready to take another step.

Hey, it's a long shot. I'm not even sold on it. But, when everyone else was tossing around names, it looked like fun.

You know what, it was.
    ------------------------------------------------

So, what do you all think? Milicic? Not Artest?

2. ham

ham Member

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Milicic stinks. Doesn't play D, doesn't make the right play, and is soft. He's not even a good perimeter shooter, unless you count Rafer-esque shooting performances as solid. I don't know what makes him think he's worth more than the MLE. He's a Stromile Swift clone.

4. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

i wish we could find a guy like Bogut out there. Man can shoot and board plus he has good size.

5. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

this summers FA list or link plz

6. bbjai

bbjai Member

his a shot blocking machine though :D
    I've never really seen him play though

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Well, one thing I do like about Darko is his passing ability. That would be perfect for Adelman's system. As for the rest of his skillset? The jury is still out.

I would be very hesitant to spend full MLE money on him.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Hm... I'll bet Swift is available. Why not trade for Swift?

9. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Gerald Wallace...hmmm nice!

10. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

That's just not working, I don't know where Feigan gets his numbers. Magic will tender a qualifying offer to Darko, which will be ~$6.8M and still have money to pursue Rashard... This puts him above the MLE already...

He's right, though, that there are not many PFs worth talking about this summer. I bet Chuck Hayes gets "$4m+ per" offer from somebody a la Reggie Evans...

11. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

WTF? Is he serious? Varejao and Milicic want more than MLE?
    These 2 clowns worth 3 to 4 mils to start their contracts, period.
    They'd be jumping upside down if any teams offer them full MLE.

12. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

I agree. If you have watched this guy play enough...he's only good at blocking a shot once in a while.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Bigs are always overpaid. See Nene last year.

14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I think help interior defense is a bigger need than a shooting 4. Milicic looks decent enough on O at times, but it's his defense that just scares me when it comes to playing alongside Yao. Speaking of Yao...does anybody know what that espn insider article say that's headlined "Not Happy" for Yao's profile? That just LOOKS scary

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I must admit, I had really not considered him. However, with the addition of Adelman, he could very well be able to really take his game up under a coach who believes in a more Eurostyle of play with player movement and passing. I could see him really breaking out here. He is still only 22. And very questionable, but he could be the extra 4/5 we need to give Duncan lots of trouble. I think he may be worth taking a chance on, especially if we acquired Artest.

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Shooting touch? What shooting touch?

Seriously... just because the guy's European, people assume he has great shooting touch. He hasn't shown that in games. He's a very average rebounder for the minutes he plays, too.

No thanks.

17. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Swear to God before I knew this thread was heer I was just about to start a "Milicic as our Chris Weber" thread. I think he could become an all star at 21 he is a perfect fit. I love Artest but I would love Milicic. What a coincidence I was just about to start this thread on my own.

18. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Also a rare time I agree with Feigen

19. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

All we want is a bigger PF who can contribute...Darko would be ok if we can,t get anyone...Please avoid players like Kenny Thomas,etc..Hayes will be back to be our backup PF...

20. Chronz

Chronz Member

Darko was the Magics best player in the playoffs, the guy has alot of talent and upside. Those saying he doesnt play D dont know what theyre saying. Hes more than just a shot blocker, he just has to earn the ref's respect.