1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jon Stewart dissapointed in Obama calls his Health Plan a clusterf**k

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SunsRocketsfan, Sep 14, 2011.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The Daily Show would be long gone and we'd have no Colbert had that continued.

And I was disappointed when he left...

2. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I love Colbert's 'The Word' segments, because you know there's a serious point in the whole thing, but you are still laughing through most of it. Some of the Report's segments are, well, just for laughs, but the Word combines that and an actual point into usually a brilliant segment.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Without the commercials the shows are only 22 minutes long.
    Set your DVR for both series.

I usually run the previous days episodes the next evening with my Hungry-Man TV dinner.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i wasnt surprised at all - as someone who actually watches the show regularly i know that although left-leaning, stewart has never held back on his criticism of obama. infact, he does a much better job of criticizing obama on legitimate issues than foxnews could ever do (sad, but true).

unlike foxnews, who marches lock-step w/ the GOP platform, stewart will criticize the dems/obama when he sees them doing things worthy of criticism.

this charge from foxnews and the right-wingers that stewart only goes after them is just not based in reality. he truly is equal opportunity - its just that foxnews and right-wingers say and do more stuff worthy of mockery.

5. SunsRocketsfan

how much of your view is based on your own bias though? It is cleary Stewart is left leaning/liberal which may fit into your view so naturally you will take what he says as more legitimate. Just imagine someone on Fox News saying
    "Obama's health care plan is a clusterf**k" What would your reaction be then? Most people would blame fox for being ultra bias and unprofessional. Now Stewart says the same thing and it suddenly is a smart and legitimate critique.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's actually not a smart and legitimate critique the way you are presenting it because many parts of teh Affordable Care act (including the critical individual mandate ) hasn't even been implemented yet, and won't be for some time and there's no study as to its efficacy, so there's no basis to make that pronouncement whatsoever in terms of the present day.

however - I doubt that's what he's actually doing as there really isn't any context presented here and we're left to basically guess as to what he's talking about (the salesmanship job, the fact that Stewart wants a single-payer system instead...etc? Who knows? You simply can't tell from a single soundbite).

It's actually a pretty stupid thing to even have a discussion about at all, really, and you should thank others for attempting to steer your thread in a more fruitful direction.

7. Dubious

I'd guess that any 2000 page bull that makes it through Congress can likely be called a clusterf**k, because all the lawyers in Washington have had their way with it.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's actually 900 pages give or take...and not sure if stewart is really serious here - it's a signficant bill that establishes a new regulatory regime deisgned to address a complex problem and accordingly amends hundreds of existing sections of US code, of course the public law version is going to be huge. You can't do that with a few bullet points - drafting legislation is slow, ponderous, cumbersome work.

9. Dubious

You took that bill to a motel, added your dirty little amendments, probably through the back door, and then shipped it home in cab, didn't you.

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

no more or less than the average persons. im simply pointing out that as a fan of the show and a regular viewer it is obvious that stewart is not carrying the water for obama - he is and has been very critical of him on key issues. by your own admission, you do not watch the show so when you imply that stewart is generally a partisan hack it shows that perhaps you are the one w/ a biased view.

i dont really consider myself "left leaning/liberal" - i am liberal on some issues and i am conservative on others. but for the record i do not support obama and i did not vote for him and i will never vote for him.

and yes, i do take what jon stewart says as more legitimate than fox news - that is pathetic for fox, but its true - fox news has been caught time and time and time and time and time again straight up lying. they are unworthy of anyones trust.

my reaction would be that im surprised they let people say the "f" word on foxnews...its not like its comedy central or anything!

but did stewart makes the "clusterf***" comment on his show or in the interview the OP posted? if it is the later i would point out that fox news bill o'reilly wrote a novel called "those who tresspass" where a grown man has sex and smokes crack w/ 15 year old girls - thats alot worse than saying "clusterf***" in an interview.

so you equate foxnews w/ the daily show? the daily show is a program based on satire...of government, of politicians, of the media...you know..."comedy"!!! fox news is supposed to be a serious news/opinion network.

john stewart cusses all the f***ing time on his show - anyone who actually watched it would know this.

1 person likes this.