1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jon Bones Jones Vs. Shogun Rua: UFC 128

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KingCheetah, Mar 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I have a feeling there is already a thread on this fight i've missed, but if not discussion of this epic match up starts here.

2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I think Bones overwhelms him with his explosive athleticism and world-class wrestling. He has the longest reach in the UFC, and throws some of the most vicious bows I've ever seen. He's the only fighter to have manhandled both Bader and Hamill in such a dominant fashion.

Aside from Cro Cop, I'm not overly excited about the other bouts on the main card.

3. KingCheetah

The experts weigh in on UFC 128

Mauricio Rua versus Jon Jones

Anik: Jones by TKO. I've been saying since August that I'd favor Jon Jones to beat any light heavyweight in the world. So, no surprise on this end when Jones climbed to a 2-1 favorite against one of the most accomplished 205ers in MMA history. Distraction and media attention abounds, as Jones steps into his first title fight. "Bones" is the closest thing in MMA to the NBA's LeBron James, with a sick combination of size, speed, athleticism and power. Parlay those assets with an ever-improving skill set and Jones will rule the day. The 23-year-old phenom gets his first taste of UFC gold.

Gross: Rua by KO. I understand why Jones is the favorite and why many have picked him to become the new UFC light heavyweight champion. I can't join the club for a couple of reasons. Jones has never been tested in a fight, and I believe Rua is the man to do that. Also, "Shogun" is a big step up from Ryan Bader or Vladimir Matyushenko or Brandon Vera. The way I see it, Jones goes down in a war. This is a fight worth watching.

McNeil: Jones by TKO. The question has never been, "Will Jones become UFC light heavyweight champion?" -- it's when. The time is Saturday night at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. Jones possesses skills that Rua has never witnessed firsthand in the cage. To overcome Jones' superior reach and speed, Rua must take risks. Rua will take one risk too many and get caught, most likely in the fourth round.

Mindenhall: Rua by KO. Three years ago, Mauricio Rua was today's Jon Jones, a ruthlessly hard-striking, multiply dangerous young gun whom people spoke of when defining words like "invincible" and "juggernaut." Today, he's the champion. The very young, very athletic Jones will bring his full eclectic striking game in with absolute confidence, but how he reacts to taking a big shot remains to be seen. (We say he won't, because he'll be unconscious).

Okamoto: Jones by TKO. Everybody has a "Wow, Jon Jones is really, really good" moment. Mine was when he tossed Brandon Vera to the ground and fractured his face in three places with an elbow. There's concern over how Jones will fare when he's finally faced with adversity. Well, someone has to put him in deep water first, and if that turns out to be Rua, I expect Jones to swim, not sink.

Ortiz: Rua by KO. Youth, speed, hunger, athleticism, creativity, eye of the tiger, longest reach in the Octagon -- Jones possesses all of 'em, but there's no substitute for the kind of experience Rua has as a fighter. Jones' time will come soon enough, but Rua isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

link

4. Asian Sensation

Jones needs to be humbled. His ego has gotten out of control. I hope Rua teaches him a lesson.

Too bad UFC doesn't allow soccer kicks

[​IMG]

WAR SHOGUN!

5. KingCheetah

Really? Everything i've heard from Jones has been respectful and humble.

6. MourningWood

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j41BsG3xhEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

shogun, sure thing

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Bones. I love Shogun but his takedown defense isn't good and that's one of Jones strengths.

9. King1

He is. People look for a reason to hate on the dude. He's a good guy and is really down to earth. Just like the people complaining about the face off Wednesday. Jones has never looked at his opponent. just not something he does, but people took it and ran with it. I like both fighters so I'll be happy either way, but the Jones bashing and hate is pretty lame imo

1 person likes this.
  10. MourningWood

Bones' strategy is to expose Shogun in the clinch:

11. KingCheetah

Good - I don't want any reason to have negative vibes -- Jones reminds me of the young Tyson of MMA and I don't want that spoiled.

12. sew

sew Member

Bones will probably win, but I'm pulling for Shogun.

Love both fighters.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I want to see Bones' twigs of legs after a couple of leg kicks from Shogun

14. KingCheetah

No doubt that is Bone's weakness and you know Shogun will go after the twigs.

15. King1

He's an amazing fighter who works hard and continues to improve. I honestly don't see anyone beating him at 205 right now. Imo he's fighting the only guy who has a chance Saturday night. I normally would have said Rampage would be another great one but I don't think he really cares about fighting anymore.

16. King1

He'll just shoot on him. No way he stays outside the pocket and lets Shogun chop his legs out from under him. Jackson will have him well prepared. I think it's a more likely scenario he gets caught coming in then getting stopped by leg kicks

17. King1

His chin is yet to be tested so that's a factor to consider. Nobody knows either way

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Bones by KO. He's too active, too explosive and too strong (freaky strong considering his build).

Folks, what you will see on Saturday night is what happens when a truly world class athlete decides to focus on MMA from an early age.

19. The Joker

The Joker Member

Obviously you don't know what your talking about. Jones is extremely humble. Everything he has said has been respectful about Rua and everyone. Your just a hater.

20. sew

sew Member

Jones was signing autographs as "Champ 2011," but thats about as cocky as it gets for him.

Shogun isn't too happy with Bones' demeanor, however.

<object width="580" height="324" id="AOLVP_us_834300294001" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://o.aolcdn.com/videoplayer/AOL_PlayerLoader.swf"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="flashvars" value="stillurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpdl%2Estream%2Eaol%2Ecom%2Fpdlext%2Faol%2Fbrightcove%2Fstudionow%2Fams%2F434f54251de1c%2Fposter%2Ejpg&videoid=834300294001&publisherid=1612833736&playerid=61371447001&codever=1"></param><embed src="http://o.aolcdn.com/videoplayer/AOL_PlayerLoader.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" bgcolor="#000000" width="580" height="324" name="AOLVP_us_834300294001" flashvars="stillurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpdl%2Estream%2Eaol%2Ecom%2Fpdlext%2Faol%2Fbrightcove%2Fstudionow%2Fams%2F434f54251de1c%2Fposter%2Ejpg&videoid=834300294001&publisherid=1612833736&playerid=61371447001&codever=1"></embed></object>