1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joining the military in another country.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Han Solo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Is it possible to move to and join the military in a European country?

Will i lose my US citizenship? Can i move back here whenever i'd like?

I also have citizenship from a country in South America. A family member who has lived overseas for the past 10 years tells me i can live and work in Spain and become a citizen in 2 years when it normally takes 10. I can then live anywhere in Europe. But, he never intends to move back where as i would like that option to be open and that is why i am curious.

Would i have to tell them my American info, or just go by that country and let them renounce that country and not USA?

Some background info for those interested in why i would even think of it.

I'm in my late 20's and i never went to school. I begin in the fall. I did serve in the US military long enough to get the Hazlewood act which covers tuition and other fees for up to 150 credit hours. However, i don't get the other education benefits such as the GI Bill.

I feel this is my last chance. I've basically wasted my 20's with depression and starring at the ceiling. Couldn't keep a job without losing my mind in under the 1 year mark. I barely made it through high school, so i'm not a smart guy. I had thoughts that if i just couldn't make it through school, that suicide would creep back into my head. I then realized it doesn't have to be the end and there are more options out there. That maybe the whole American dream of owning a house and a car and having more and more and more bills just wasn't meant for me.

If there are any of you who were in a similar situation as i am. If there are others living overseas, i'd like to hear your opinions and if my backup plan is even realistic.

2. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

Why are you still not in the US military?

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Yes. The best known example is the French Foreign Legion. I believe some other European countries have similar military groups for foreign nationals.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Don't run off to fight for the Rebel Alliance. Bobba Fett will eventually find you and bring you to Jabba.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I know someone who's been in the French Foreign Legion and a few that have served in the Israeli Defense Forces.

Unless you become an officer in a foreign military or in some way demonstrate an intent to renounce citizenship, you really can't lose it.

6. HombreDeHierro

fight for the truth if you are going to fight

7. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

No idea,google,it, but man get up and do what ever it is you
    want. You only live once, regardless of education-maybe a fresh move somewhere
    like an Austin or San Francisco type aura would grab you.
    No need to feel down, our culture teaches us monetary things and how time=work
    Europe does not see time like we do, and culturally very different, as far as military
    in another land, I doubt the Uk, and after them well after the top 3 big world army they're
    Iss a BIG dropouff to the next so be weary....
    Keep ya head up, find something it's never too late

8. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

See that Spain deal sounds good find a way to get your work visas there, and see if they can locate a job, and just move.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Kind of a terrible time to move to Spain though . I highly doubt you'll find it easy to get a job there. If you think our economy is bad, their economy is much much worse. In general Europe is pretty terrible now. I'd stay the hell away from there.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You might want to try Australia. Their economy is doing well.

11. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

French foreign legion maybe?

12. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

Come here and start afresh. There's plenty of universities here and Australian citizens/permanent resident can defer their tuition fees until they find a job. We also have universal healthcare and a generous welfare safety net for the unemployed.

Life's pretty good over here. Just come over here and don't commit suicide.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

14. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Cost of Living + Rent Index is very high in Australia and most of Europe. While Spain isn't doing well, it's not expensive to live a simple life there. Numbeo.com is a great site to look at the differences in living in different places of the world. Crime, health care, rent... it's all there. Since you're starting from scratch with no real base, you might want to adjust your priorities accordingly. http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/gmaps.jsp?indexToShow=getCpiAndRentIndex

Not sure if any of this matter's if you strike a deal with the govt and get in the army somehow... but it's good to know. Brightside's suggestion makes sense but I'm not sure if the cold and isolation of Alberta are good for your personal issues.

15. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Very intriguing. Do you happen to know of any resources for an American who wants to work in the Canadian oil industry? I do not have a Canadian visa.

I have heard there are recruiting agencies that specialize in bringing skilled Americans over to work in Alberta, but thus far I have been unable to find much info on them.

I have a good amount of control center infrastructure experience, am kind of burned out and underpaid in my current job, and would love the opportunity for some adventure.

Thanks.

16. TISNF

TISNF Member

My thoughts exactly. I have the option to move to Spain, but the financial instability and bleak job opportunities (as well as my limited Spanish/Catalan), leads to a HELL NO.

Australia is like a dream right now (eventually it will be tough to get employment there, but not for the foreseeable future).

The states are always the fallback, but damnit, the French and Germans get so much more vacation time than in the US...

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Trololol Ronny telling people to move to start a new career in a country with a 52.1% youth unemployment rate....

18. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

19. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Unemployment is currently 24.6% in Spain. That's pretty staggering. I don't think I'd want to move there.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

our numbers are near spains if we measured accurately...

also... FFL pay is crap.