1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Johnson restructures contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by lue03, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

JASON LA CANFORA
    Texans’ Johnson, Cowboys’ Bryant restructure contracts

By Jason La Canfora |
    Published: March 8th, 2012 | Tags: Andre Johnson, Dallas Cowboys, Dez Bryant, Houston Texans

Two of the league’s most explosive wide receivers — Andre Johnson of the Texans and Dez Bryant of the Cowboys — are among those who are restructuring their deals in order to create more salary cap space for their teams, according to sources.

In both cases, the maneuvers were simple.

Johnson converted his base salary ($6.5 million) to a bonus and spread it out over a number of years. In Bryant’s case, he converted a $1.435 million roster bonus to a signing bonus and pro-rated it as well.

The official salary cap numbers for the 2012 season will be released by Friday, and the final number will be very similar to last season’s cap of around $120 million.

Follow Jason La Canfora on Twitter @JasonLaCanfora

Link

1 person likes this.
  2. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

in b4 peyton

3. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Start of a good ride of more contracts being altered.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Mario's coming back. Book it.

5. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Chris Myers? I'd tend to agree with you tho.

6. Apps

Apps Member

Number one question going into the new season: Is there anything AJ can't do?

My guess is no.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I don't think a restructure would be needed to keep Myers alone....this does make it seem as if they have a deal to keep #90 on board.

Very impressive if it pans out.

Obligatory:
    [​IMG]

8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Pancakes must be freaking out.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hard to know what's going on.

Lance said the other day that after the Arian deal the Texans were already over the cap now. So maybe a restructuring of Andre just helps them make that deal work.

Who knows.

Like I've always said, the NFL cap is so convoluted and fungible that you never really know where a team stands.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

As great as last offseason was, if Rick Smith pulls off re-signing Mario, Myers, and Foster it'll even top that. Not counting on both Myers and Mario but we'll see.

Maybe Myers won't be as expensive as we think and Mario will take a somewhat back-loaded deal. Props to Dre either way -- it's obvious he wants to win big.

Speaking of Pancakes:
    So, we're obviously going to re-sign Mario and draft a WR in round one. Then Mcclain will spin it like it was a miracle that either happened.

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Can anyone tell me what the cap hit is on releasing Jacoby?

12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Andre Johnson is the anti-Lebron James. The Sports World needs more people like him.

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I dont see the co relation what so ever. While the decision special was over the top it is the only thing Lebron has done to paint himself in a bad light. He took less money to sign with the Heat.

14. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Man he is the best on the field, off the field and in the locker room. We need more AJ's in the league.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He's great, but he's not the best on the field.

16. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Didn't he end up doing a sign and trade getting him the max?

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That courtside dancing during games while Lebron with on the Cavaliers always rubbed me the wrong way much moreso than a lot of people, it seemed. Seemed very unprofessional to me. I don't know if he does that on the Heat or not, but Lebron is guilty of more than just The Decision.

18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

This is great. AJ is a class act, and this just shows he's all about the Texans. He was already my favorite Houston athlete of all time, and this just adds on to my admiration for the guy.

19. conquistador#11

that's because you're remembering hamstring injured Dre. Before that he had back to back 1500 yard seasons and another spectacular season while playing that year with an ankle injury most would have sat out with. maybe in three seasons he won't be the best, but right now, don't forget about dre.

(cue the video)

Ok, maybe he is second best next to calvin.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Doing what's best for the team. Not saying a word publicly about it. Does good work on the field and off.

The City of Houston may not have had a lot of championship success but we've had some of the best people representing our teams in the history of sports. I think you can put AJ in with the 34's and the Killer B's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.