1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Johnny Manziel enters treatment

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by sugrlndkid, Feb 2, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Could be Johnny Time:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Josh McCown is out for season with a broken collarbone.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/671778740041486336">December 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If Austin Davis was above him on the depth chart last night... he's still above him on the depth chart now.

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I was never crazy about the signing, but he has shown the ability to be a legit NFL QB.

Unfortunately he really doesn't get it, and he probably won't until he's out of the league and touring as a celebrity party host like that guy from the Kardashians.

He'll probably get one more chance this season but this is it.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Johnny get chance after chance
    Charmed

Rocket River

5. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure how anything that's happened this year shows it to be a PR Stunt or if he just continues to struggle. When you combine the natural tendency to relapse with the intense public spotlight, it's not terribly surprising that a person would take steps forward and backward. By most accounts, he's been a better teammate and worked a lot harder this year, but at the same time, he's had his share of missteps and failings.

6. Major

Major Member

He was 3rd string yesterday as a disciplinary issue. It wasn't stated that it was a season-long thing, though, and the fact that they had him active yesterday as a 3rd QB suggests they weren't fully comfortable with Austin Davis. I suspect they end up starting Manziel the rest of the way - they don't appear to have given up on him yet, and they really don't want to go into next year with no clue what to do with him. Davis has also been working with practice squad players all season long. This is the perfect outcome for them, really - they get to have made their point but still get to see what they have in Manziel.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Austin Davis is starting... which isn't surprising to me at all.

And if they really don't know what they have in Manziel after 2 years of off-season workouts, training camps, week-to-week practices, AND actual games (which despite some better stats recently, he still looks largely overmatched as someone who could possibly be a starting NFL QB)... I'm not sure they're patient enough to find out given his off-the-field antics (and the flat-out lying to coaches is something they need to distance themselves from).

I just don't see much there... smallish frame, average arm strength, his speed is completely mitigated, his "instincts" have been mitigated by superior NFL defenses, and the cerebral part of the game is still a huge question mark (and this is well before all the behavioral stuff, which still remains his biggest red flag).

8. MoreydaGOAT

MoreydaGOAT Member

this dude is like the justin beiber of the nfl

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter">@AdamSchefter</a> says Rams, 'Boys, 49ers have looked hard at Manziel at some point. And Chip Kelly. &quot;Somebody's gonna roll the dice on him.&quot;</p>&mdash; Andrew Perloff (@andrewperloff) <a href="https://twitter.com/andrewperloff/status/672433268000706560">December 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Indaface

Indaface Member

100% chance he is on the Cowboys next year

11. Major

Major Member

That lasted all of a week - I guess they didn't want to be seen going back on the punishment. But Johnny has been named starter again.

Make no mistake - Cleveland WANTS to play Manziel as much as they can to find out if any of his college magic can translate in the NFL. He just keeps making it difficult for them to do. All the training camps and practices aren't going to tell you what he can do on the field in a real-game situation, especially given that practices are so different for mobile QBs (defenses can't hit the QB, probably not as much improvising, etc). Nothing can simulate real game situations.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yea . .. . .
    They should have just ate the critizisms
    and just played him . . . let it do what it do
    I don't think anything short of a winning streak
    could keep him in Cleveland next year anyway

I think it is all about increasing his trade value

Rocket River

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Manziel with another video out drinking FourLoko

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Energy Drink?
    Not Familiar with the brand . . .I remember hearing something about it though

Rocket River

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Manziel is the biggest knucklehead we've had the pleasure of watching self-destruct in quite a while.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

he really wants to be released...Not guaranteeing that it will happen, but Dallas looking like a perfect spot for this mental trainwreck...

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, he's still looking mostly overmatched as an NFL QB... and he can't stay responsible off the field.

By all means, I do hope the Cowboys pick him up.

18. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't get it

He's having a drink in his living room on Christmas

Why is this a big deal?

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

On it's own, it's nothing. Add everything together and it's just further proof of what an idiot he is.