1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Smallwood: McGrady could help Sixers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dantonv08, Dec 31, 2009.

1. rockets_fanatic

I think that is a good reason for why we all think we can get Dalembert. To get that man more minutes.

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

LOL did anyone laugh at his name? Small wood.
    But yeah, I can't imagine Tmac and Iverson on the same team.. There's only one ball.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

since iverson returned from injury, he's been playing superb the past 2 games.

4. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

hahah...that's true.. if PHILLY's a train-wreck now...can you imaging an IVERSON and TMAC pairing?

5. rockets_fanatic

A very high draft pick with money to spend?

6. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Kapono's under contract until 2011 also.

7. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I was referring to just this season.. but if Philly picks up McGrady's contract, they could make some big moves this offseason.

8. soupman

soupman Member

I know it's a pipe dream, but can you imagine this lineup...
    Ming/Dalembert/Andersen
    Scola/Landry/Hayes
    Battier/Ariza/Harris
    Iguodala/Budinger/Taylor
    Brooks/Lowry/Conroy
    Good lord. That's depth you can believe in.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Depends what they ditch really.

According to the article, and to countless other reports, the Sixers are very keen to dump Dalemberts contract. So first and foremost there is NO DEAL unless he's involved.

I also think Philly would be looking to cut salary in any deal made - a dream would be to make a deal and also get under the lux tax (from the Rockets perspective), but I can't see that working with Philly UNLESS we simply take back Dalembert.

I don't see that happening - nobody in their right mind would expect Morey to simply trade McGrady for Dalembert (and, say Kapono to make things match) - it would leave us with thunderous amounts of salary to pay next season, and 2 players who might well be redundant next year...

If Philadelphia wants to change things up, then they'll need to make space for their young guys to play. Can they get rid of Dalembert to free up PT for guys like Speights and Smith (both promising young bigs) - and would it be worth the cost of Iguodala to do so?

Effectively they would be turning the team over the Louis Williams, Thaddeus Young and Marreese Speights - having Brand (and possibly Iverson and McGrady) as 'senior mentor' and then useful pieces like their 2010 first round pick (currently it looks like a top 4 pick - really good chances of getting something nice); Willie Green and JRue Holiday, PLUS about $10mill in cap space.

It might sound ridiculous for them to ditch Iguodala, but perhaps they need to completely change it up there?

They wouldn't be devoid of talent, and clearly Iguodala isn't their "main man" - maybe McGrady works out and they resign him? (he is only 30 after all) Maybe he just expires and they use their cap space to sign someone else.

The great thing is that perhaps we could also slash salary by convincing them to take on Cook (I might even throw in young talent in Budinger to make this happen).

1 person likes this.
  10. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Nice summary, I think this would be a win win situation for both teams as well.

11. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Tracy for Iggy/Dalembert seems to be the deal that makes the most sense if truly the Sixers are intent on trading Iggy... this would be an absolute steal for the Rockets.

Dalembert's contract expires 2011 and he could contribute to our team this year, considering we don't have a 7-footer who can block shots and rebound. But apparently, Sixers fans hate Samuel Dalembert, similar to how Rockets fans are bashing Ariza right now. Worst case scenario would be if he's a Dampier-like player. But I think acquiring Iggy would compensate taking on Dalembert. And I don't think the Sixers will consider dealing Iggy if Dalembert isn't involved.

Also if we acquire Iguodala, I feel like keeping Ariza would be redundant. Andre is pretty much the same player as Ariza, except Andre is much better in many areas of the game. From what I've seen, Iggy is a better on-ball defender, has better ball-handling/passing skills, and better at attacking the basket. He would fit really well into Adelman's system. A trade of Tmac/Ariza for Iggy/Dalembert would also work.

Although Ariza is despised by most Rockets fans, I imagine he still has relatively good trade value around the league. There are several young intriguing players on the Sixers that we could steal away, such as Jrue Holiday (6-4 point guard, only 18 years old, big potential), Mariese Speights, Jason Smith, and Rodney Carney.

12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

No he's not. He's an expiring.

13. worzel gummidge

Kapono has a player option for next season.

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

John Smallwood, lol. Tiny Wang approved.

15. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Like everyone on this board, I say NO to Brand.

What exactly is Iggy's contract, anyway? $/yr?

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Code:
    Player	          2009/2010	2010/2011	2011/2012	2012/2013	2013/2014	2014/2015
    [B]Andre Iguodala[/B]	$12,200,000	$12,345,250	$13,531,750	$14,718,250	$15,904,750	N/A

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/sixers.jsp

17. devin23

devin23 Member

Holy #$(*, they are seriously considering trading iggy? I want! I want!. I'll take Sam's contract, maybe even brand, if we can get iggy and replace tmac.