1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Bolton gone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Sep 10, 2019.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Oh, he definitely does, I think. Just isn't willing to go overboard to get it. Bolton served a purpose there previously...he could be the bad guy, and let Iran know that Trump might take military action. Now, I think Trump wants to tone that down, hence this move.

Think Trump asked for his resignation, and Bolton gave it. Not sure which category that falls into. ;-)

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

wow
    LOL
    He actually think that makes him look good.

Rocket River

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Who can blame Kim? We want Kim to forfeit his only form of protection from a regime attack - nuclear weapons. In order for Kim to do that, he has to believe America won't attack him once left defenseless, hard to do that with guys like Bolton in charge.

So GOOD, maybe our odds for a peace deal just went up. Maybe our odds for nuclear war just went down.

Do you guys not want peace? The left needs to quit attacking Trump from the right, it's pathetic.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

@dachuda86 first time we’ve agreed. Bolton is a scary man.

6. NewRoxFan

What makes you think "the Left" doesn't want peace? Because we criticize trump's choices around his national security team?

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This was a critique on firing John Bolton. Critiquing Bolton being fired just to take a shot at Trump doesn't sound like someone who wants peace. Sounds like the left attacking the Trump from the right, which is a horribly pathetic thing to do, it shows people with no morals, principles or dignity, just party hacks.

Let's see what Mr.Frum has been saying, along with that tweet, which was clear to me.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/bolton-must-now-speak-out/597784/

Speak Up, John Bolton

As I expected, he's glorifying Bolton to attack Trump.

8. adoo

adoo Member

i expect Bolton to remain silent, working on a tell-all book about his time in Trump's WH, and
    will strategically release it around sept 11 next year.

9. Buck Turgidson

This post is not going to age well at all. Sorry.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Which part of it? I think there are about 3 points in my post which I will individualize.

- Kim not wanting to do a peace deal due to fear of being attacked by the USA after denuclearizing - aka "Libya model" makes sense, especially with Bolton in the admin, combined with the comments he made.

- It's good that Bolton is gone, chances for peace just went up, chances of nuclear war went down (relative to where they were before WITH Bolton in the admin)

- It being pathetic for the left to attack Trump from the right. The left attacking Trump for firing Bolton makes no sense to me.

11. NewRoxFan

First off... David Frum isn't "the left". He is a conservative republican and was a speechwriter for President George W. Bush and later authored the first book about Bush's presidency written by a former member of the administration. He was credited with inspiring the phrase "axis of evil" in Bush's 2002 State of the Union address. He is a board member of the republican Jewish Committee.

biff17 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You missed my point and are proving it at the same time IMO. You are left, RR is left, yet you guys seemed to take that jackasses right-wing critique (tweet) about Bolton being fired serious. Again, just how it seemed to me.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The arc of this story is: Trump wants to win a Nobel Peace Prize because Obama did.

14. biff17

biff17 Member

So who put Bolton in charge in the 1st place?

Do you think it was the left?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My uneducated guess is that in an argument over the Taliban, Bolton insulted Trump and that's why he's out. It was too abrupt to be tactical.

Trump fired him. The way Bolton tells it, he 'offered to resign.' Offering puts the ball in Trump's court to decide the future of his employment. If Bolton wanted credit for breaking up with Trump first, he should have immediately tweeted 'I Quit!' while still standing in the Oval Office.

#56 JuanValdez, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    biff17 likes this.
  17. Dubious

[QUOTE="MojoMan, post: 12597193, member: 39750"[/QUOTE]

He did appoint him in the first place when he knew exactly who he was. That seems sorta dumb.
    You didn't see Obama appointing zealots, firing a bunch of appointees, or losing them to felony convictions.
    It's a matter of competency in governance.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Didn't he start off in Reagan's admin?

19. NewRoxFan

Somehow I don't think this will be an effective twitter thread...

20. Dubious

Bolton was the United States Ambassador to the United Nations from August 2005 to December 2006 as a recess appointee by President George W. Bush.[8] He resigned at the end of his recess appointment in December 2006[9][10] because he was unlikely to win confirmation from the Senate, of which the Democratic Party had gained control at the time.[11][12]

You know the sad thing is, the US could dominate Cuba and Venezuela with commerce. It's only the political influence of the oligarchs that were deposed from the countries that fire up the communist rhetoric. Much like Taiwan and Hong Kong, there is a long enough period governance that the status of 'sovereign nations' should be accepted. Instead of outright opposition you could have an influencing role directing their futures.

#60 Dubious, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019