1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Adams

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Joshaaronb, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Joshaaronb

Joshaaronb Member

How many of you have seen "John Adams", mini series (7 episodes) by HBO? Paul Giamatti plays John Adams and the movie takes place from pre-revolution to his death, 50 years after. This is by far the best historical movie on the revolution and America's beginning's that has ever been done. Paul Giamatti is amazing and every actor in it incredibly believable. I loved how it told his whole life, including family. If you haven't seen it you are missing out on an epic movie and the chance to gain an unbelievable perspective on the history of the US. You can rent it at Blockbuster or Netflix.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

3. JJ

JJ Member

All true... the dude was a bad ass. He could of very easily been the 1st president of the US.

4. conquistador#11

I agree. HBO is in a league of it's own when it comes to epics and miniseries. John adams was a remarkable piece. I wonder what film technique they used to shoot it?

From Zapata to When trumpets fade, simply glorious.

5. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Best mini-series ever.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No way....Band of Brothers is the best......and Roots has to be up there too.

DD

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I watched the first three and got pretty bored with it. Maybe the later 4 were better. I felt like quite a bit of the dialogue was long, drawn out and pointless, such as the scenes in Paris.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Loved every second of it. The first scene, where Adams is defending the British soldiers after the Boston Massacre was great. I'm a sucker for old, British courtroom or parliamentary scenes like in "Amistad" or "Amazing Grace."

And then the scene where Adams, Jefferson and Franklin are editing the Declaration of Independence, where Franklin marvels at Jefferson's writing, for some reason I was just genuinely overcome: wow, this is it, this is how it all happened.

The only thing I wish was that they could have somehow dealt more with the Constitutional Convention, and maybe fleshed out Hamilton a bit more; but I never read McCulloch's book so I can't at all complain.

I also enjoy the "Washington's Generals" specials the History Channel's been re-airing lately. So sad broadcast and basic cable television just has no place commercially for any of it.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

dude i thought the british soldier he was defending was kevin spacey but it turned out it wasn't