1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joey Crawford

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yodels, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Super Von

Super Von Member

Cant believe this guy is still doing playoff games. Joey Crawford is the worst official I have ever seen hands down.

2. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

[FLASH WIDTH=425 HEIGHT=350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNS7tH29Dgk&feature=channel_page[/FLASH]

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I hate refs trying to be bigger than the game. Him and DICK Bavetta. The game isn't about you old farts. Nobody cares how animated you get when you make calls. We don't watch playoff games for the refs. Sorry, Joey.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

There comes a time when every human being needs to enter a new stage in their life.

Joey Crawford should have moved on from officiating about 2 or 3 years ago.

You guys remember when he ejected Tim Duncan for smiling on the bench a couple years ago?

Rudy Fernandez tripped over HIMSELF on that last play. His right foot hit his left calf. Lowry didn't touch him. We would have had the ball back with 1.5 seconds left. I'm not sure if Crawford called that foul but whoever did cost us a last chance to tie/win the game. I'm not saying we should blame the game on that single call just that it would have been nice to get that one right.

5. SeeingRocketRed

Could they have reviewed to see what happened on the last play with Rudy Fernandez? I know they reviewed Brooks' clear 3 pointer, but could they have checked and seen that Fernandez tripped over his oafish feet? Just wondering...But really, I'm not going to dwell on the bad refereeing. The Blazers got everything but some rebounding help from the refs, and barely pulled out a win with Roy getting 42 ish points...

Yeah.

Bring that weak ish in Toyota Center. I predict carnage - Rockets by 24 in Game 3.

6. jedicro

jedicro Member

It was Crawford. He said Lowry pushed him. However one of the advantages of having a large LCD HDTV running is that I'm able to look real close. There was a shadow from Lowry's arm on Fernandez's jersey. So unless Lowry's shadow projects energy powerful enough to knock a man over then I'm pretty sure Lowry didn't affect Fernandez falling.

Blown call. We still probalby would have lost. Last second plays like that almost never succeed, but like you said, it would have been nice to have the chance.

7. jedicro

jedicro Member

Outside of a couple plays down the stretch the game was called evenly all the way through. Evenly bad, but even.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

HOU-POR Game 2: 54 fouls, 68 FT attempts.

LAL-UTA Game 1: 57 fouls, 67 FT attempts.

Those two games rank #1 and #2 in terms of fouls called and free throws attempted in this years playoffs. What's the common thread? Same officiating crew. These guys really suck. They affect the game way more than they should.

9. jedicro

jedicro Member

Calling a tight game doesn't bother me so much. It's the freaking inconsistency and phantom calls all night that were too much to bare.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think it's weird how a lot of games in general end up with almost the same number of fouls...even if there's abig discrepancy in the first half they end up almost tied, they definitely count them at some point and try to keep it even, that's bull :mad:

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It bothers me. The Playoffs are supposed to be tougher. You're not supposed to get bailed out every time down the floor. It shouldn't be so easy that you just fall down and get a call. It's supposed to be a dogfight, not pansy party.

12. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

The Lowry/Fernandez play reminded me of the 1995 Knicks/Pacers game 1 where Reggie is guarding Greg Anthony and he falls down and the ball comes in to Miller who calmly steps back behind the 3 line and drills a 3 to put Indiana up. There was more of a foul on Miller(which was not called because it really was incedental contact made worse by the fact that Anthony fell down) than there was on Lowry.

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

That's pretty CRAZY to call 57 fouls.

57 fouls/48 minutes in a game =
    1 foul every minute and 9 extra fouls as the remainder.

These refs are making these games all about the whistle.

14. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

the calls were bad on both ends....he is horrible...i don't see how he gets nba playoff games...i think the league will watch the game and take measuers...maybe he won't ref in the playoffs anymore

15. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Let me correct you.. the whole crew.. except for one BS overtheback noncall by Malloy in the last minutes of the game that gave portland the ball back... was exceptional.

Stafford did a good job correcting everyone's bad calls.. Malloy was pretty objective..

CRAWFORD?!? This fool bet portland -5.5 and got his @$$ handed to him by the rockets last second 3s

16. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

Does anyone know the email to the league office about refs. I want them too have a piece of my mind about joey crawford.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The whole crew was making bad calls for both teams - ruined the flow of the game.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I agree it was mostly called evenly... but I have never seen a playoff game called so closely. Never! And I can only wonder why? Especially when this type of game clearly favors Portland. Yao cannot do anything when a game is so tightly reffed. It tokk him out of his game. So while it wasn't unfairly callled until the end it seemed the refs were intent on calling the game to favor Portland.

Don't understand why but clearly the refs were all in sync with this philosophy. Someone from above must have sent the word down. But why did they want the Rockets to lose. We are the better team. Why make it harder for us to win. Do they fear we will beat the Lakers. I know this is probably just alot overreacting and too much conspiracy theory crap. But why did they call I stupid no call foul on a play that could have changed the game. I am not saying it would but it might have.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm sorry, I agree that the officials were bad, but I can't begin to comprehend saying it was even in terms of impact.

With Yao's fouls, maybe one of them was legit. Maybe. The rest of them all were atrocious. I know I should be used to it, but it doesn't make it right. Przybilla's flop was shameful - seriously, it was this year's version of Kirilenko's flailing act with 0.2 sec in Game 3 last year (Clutch youtubed this, complete with whale noise) - except they actually called it. The Rockets had Portland on the ropes at that point -- they were up 7 seconds before and had all sorts of momentum. That killed it. Before you could blink, it had completely flipped and Portland was up 7.

The turning point of the fourth quarter? The foul on Battier for apparently breathing too close to Brandon Roy on that turnaround jumper. It was just wonderful defense, and the Rockets would've had the ball with a 2-point lead with 5 minutes to go. Instead, they never lead again.

As for the last play, there's nothing to say. Lowry didn't even touch him. Did not even lay a single hand (or foot) on him. It was the most fitting way to end things, without a doubt.

Overall, the calls might have evened out on paper. Yes, the officials sucked in general. But in the big moments -- when the Rockets had a chance to take control and win this game -- the officials stepped in and took the opportunity away from them with three unconscionable, embarrassing calls. Those types of calls did not go against Portland.

I said it on Twitter after the game, and I still feel the same way this morning -- that was the most blatant, biased piece of officiating (when the game was on the line) since Lakers-Kings Game 6 in 2002. It was that bad.

20. djstylze

djstylze Member

The Cat - Well summed up my friend!!