1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joel Osteen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GreatOne1978, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

https://www.change.org/p/houston-mattress-mack-day-aug-26?source_location=topic_page

Hakeemtheking and B-Bob like this.
  2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry, the hyper successful business man isn't an expert in charity/disastrous relief also? Anybody up for letting the pizza man do your open heart surgery?

Can someone explain what your expectations of Joel where during this event?

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Applause.

I don't like Osteen. I don't like "religious leaders" living like billionaires. But I also don't like the obsessive focus on negativity.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If it wasn't a non-profit tax exempt organization, I wouldn't be as critical.

Ethically speaking, they guy brings in 10's of million a year. Considering faith should include charity, I would actually expect him to be well versed in this area.

More importantly, Osteen mocks and desecrates hollowed ground. Two championships were won in this building. It was bad enough to let Pippen in, but to sell it to Osteen?

Deji McGever, vinsensual and el gnomo like this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Harden was visible from the start asking for love and prayers but I guess that doesn't count because $$ weren't mentioned

at the end of the day after all announcements\publicity have been done

Les donated 0.05% of his net worth
    JJ Watt 0.01% of his net worth

and sneakily generous Harden 2% of his net worth

6. Major

Major Member

There's the problem - he promotes himself to be a religious leader promoting the word of God, not a hyper successful businessman.

I think a reasonable expectation would be similar to what countless other churches, synagogues, and mosques did. Do you think that's unreasonable?

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How do you know their actual net worth? How do you know what other causes they have donated to?

I've seen an article that says based on money he has already earned he already has $160,000,000+. This does not include investment income or losses for that matter. The only one that can comment on Harden's net worth is his accountant, and maybe Harden himself.

8. Major

Major Member

1. How do you know the networths of any of these people?

2. I don't think anyone is measuring anyone by what % of their networth they donate to anything. Do you look at Harden and JJ Watt and think Harden's value to the relief effort has been 200 times JJ Watt's? It's not all about money - in fact, given that we're taking about tens of millions while the federal government will likely contribute $10 billion, money is only a tiny piece of the puzzle.

I'm not at all criticizing Harden here either - he has a choice of if/what he wants to donate, and whether to do it privately or publicly, or whether to help out in other ways/etc. There's lots of wealthy Houstonians that we haven't heard from or whatnot but aren't being criticized. I was just pointing out that a "lack of cash flow" is not relevant to Harden and any contribution he can make - you don't need lots of money to make an impact. I think Osteen is different because he promotes himself as a religious and community leader. Harden does no such thing.

9. Joshfast

Supporting Member

You are correct, his business is non-profit tax exempt. This is part of the reason it is very successful. I fail to see why that matters at all.

You do not become rich by giving it away. Ethics in capitalism is so absurd let's just stop right now.

I think you are wise beyond your years.

10. Joshfast

Supporting Member

I know it's a good one.

You and me have been on this forum forever. I understand you are a grown man. In all your years of experience, on earth, in this reality - you actually expect Lakewood to operate like a faith and religious based organization? You expect them to dig in deep and help the community? You actually expect Joel to put someone before his self and family? This is why he is rich. Make sure to buy his next book.

11. Major

Major Member

Of course not - I'm pointing out that's why he's getting criticism, though. It's not so much that he's a crappy person - it's that he's a hypocritical person that doesn't practice what he preaches. You and I might know what to expect, but lots of people - here and elsewhere - think or thought otherwise of him.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i don't take my morals from corrupt words written by corrupt men so "scripture" is useless. my morals come from thousands of years of evolution of humans and humanity. monogamy, family, society, social order and rule, etc... all existed before silly abrahamic religions were invented. as the late great hutch said, "human decency does not derive from religion, it precedes it."

so that said, my human decency tells me that osteen and his ilk are monsters and predators. should be judged as evil men not by religion but by humanity.

public shaming is a great tool especially for public/famous/infamous folks who's primary wealth/value is derived almost exclusively from the public. the people giveth and certainly have the right to taketh. frankly it's our duty as a society to protect society from evil. it's the humane thing to do.

vinsensual and finalsbound like this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

see my previous post but it's not negative to help people avoid this evil predator monster in the future. that's POSITIVE!!!

finalsbound likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is time for this country to do what is right and start taxing churches as the businesses they are....

DD

MoonBus, BigMaloe, BMoney and 3 others like this.
  15. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

First of all, def think harden went above and beyond with how much he donated, but where are you getting 2% of his net worth from? Dude has two contracts (rockets and adidas), both of which are $200MM+.

16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Prayer this morning as collection plates are passed around to flood victims: "oh Lord we just KNOW you're going to give these people even BIGGER houses and all the *favor* they can handle!"

I wonder how the people who had loved ones die feel. I wonder how the people who DON'T reap *favor* (Lakewood's euphemism-of-choice for WEALTH) in the coming months will feel - perhaps God just doesn't like them as much as their neighbor, who now live in a nicer house, in a nicer area, while their own family loses everything.

This is Lakewood's problem. An arena full of desperate people who need to hear the promise of the Great Comforter, not some tone deaf rich woman telling them that God will totes bless them financially if they just believe hard enough!

"Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'" -Hebrews 13:5

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

18. vlaurelio

LOL you know what net worth means?

you know the one from adidas spans 13 years contract and other from the rockets spans 6 years

19. vlaurelio

so is your net worth all money that you've earned?

howbout taxes, mortgage, debts, expenses, etc?

20. vlaurelio

forbes
    you actually singled out harden because he had 0% contribution when you posted