1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe vs Pro

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I been here since the last year they played in San Diego …. does that qualify ?

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let me use my plumber analogy again. You don't need to know how to fix your bathroom faucet to know that your plumber has screwed up if the thing keeps leaking. Why do I need to hire a pro? Because I don't know how to do it myself. But I sure can judge whether the dude is doing a good job or not according to the standard of a professional plumber.

I have no clue how to play in an NBA game. That doesn't prevent me from knowing that Corey Brewer was a bad shooter.

The fact that I don't know how to get a PF doesn't mean that a professional GM with all his knowledge and tools shouldn't know how to do it also.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

u can recognize that Morey has made a bad move...doesn’t mean u could go out there and come close to doing a better job than he does if u were in his position

screaming out for change while not being able to provide any solutions is quite easy...anyone can do that

if average Joes were our GM, we’d have far more problems than we currently do

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Again, why do I have to be able to do a better job than Morey in order to praise him or criticize him? Why do I have to provide a solution before I say what he should be doing?

Do you provide your plumber instructions to fix your leaky faucet? Do you have to be a better NBA player than whoever is on the court in order to say that the guy sucks as a pro player?

These people get paid to do their jobs. We pay them (some indirectly) to do their jobs. We are the customers. They are the professional. The customers are entitled to judge whether the professionals they pay for are doing a good job. Why does this even have to be argued?

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  5. GimmeDaRock

GimmeDaRock Contributing Member

Ditto....

6. ballgame

ballgame Member

From what you've shown, Morey's responsibilities were with the Celtics prior to him becoming GM of The Rockets were more Technical and Admin. Nothing directly with making THE decisions. Basically, he programmed a way to better analyze drafts, trades, etc. AND THEN HE BECOMES A GM.

How many Technical Nerds are out there that could've done the same thing? Avg Joes?

Once again, I'm not saying Morey is a bad GM. Anybody can do it. He did a good job in 17'-18' but like I said, knowing that CP3 was injury prone, he should've had a legit 3rd point guard behind him and because he didn't, we did not win the NBA Championship!

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Dude, this thread is about people thinking they could actually do a better job than Morey. They can’t. No one is saying u can’t critique him. None of what you’re saying is really relevant to the point I’ve been making.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Bruh, Morey went to MIT. Morey is smart enough to be 1 of the leaders of the Sloan Conference every year. Morey is the one who brought analytics to the forefront in the NBA. The average Joe does not have his credentials, nor are they doing all that he’s done. This is getting so ridiculous.

U and all the other average Joes would’ve never even had the Rockets in a position to win a title in the 1st place if u were GM...

YOLO and HP3 like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

You've got me beat by one year. :)

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How many people here actually believe that they could do a better job than Morey, or any of the GMs for that matter? Only a few wackos. Or sometimes people use hyperbole that they don't literally believe. If this thread is about them, then I see very little point. It's like starting a thread to beat on basketballholic. For what?

Most people just criticize when they are not happy with the team's status. And you assume that when they criticize, they think they could do a better job.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

….. We're Old.

topfive likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

OP himself thinks so and made this thread trying to fool people into believing that other average Joes could as well. U can ask him why he started this foolish thread. It would be quite hilarious if they think they could actually do better. The team would have many more problems with them in charge. I’m supposed to believe the average CF poster or average Joe casual fan could ever come close to Morey? It must be comedy hour on the GARM.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Eh , "Some" might do "Ok" in the talent evaluation part …. but no one does cap gymnastics and asset management like Morey.