1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe vs Pro

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Nov 2, 2019.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

After being on this site for 2 decades whether it was as a member or casual lurker ive been able to see a few suggestions by members that we now know would've worked. The average joe who has watched basketball for decades would do better than you think. Especially for their favorite team which they know inside out.

Once you get a player like Harden your next step is to get a second star to help him after that you need tough gritty role players. if you cant get a second star then you need role players who can get to the rim and bigs who can rebound and work well off pick and roll. The one thing you dont want is to play constant small ball with no defense. we did this last year and they are ****ing trying to do it again. that is moreys play not tillmans and he should bare responsibility for having a legendary player in his prime but being unable to surround him with a stable core of role players. but also for fielding teams with role players that can't hit the broad side of a barn when it counts. i knew last year our role players weren't good enough and they still aren't good enough this year.

#81 SF3isBack!!, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Gordon shouldve been traded by last February. He has not been right since the trade rumors a year ago. once you look at pjs age you know he should not be doing what hes asked to do. he is either a starting sf or a bench player. ideally he should be off the bench at this point the problem is they let ariza go and still haven't found a replacement for him or luc. last year morey tried to surround harden with g leaguers and win a chip lol its sad. so philosophy has to change mda has to go and a search for better role guys and actual pfs need to be found. you dont always need a strech 4 on the floor at all times especially with Westbrook on the floor. YOU NEED DEFENSE. harden and Westbrook will generate the offense we need. it needs to be about defense from now on. Sadly MDA is terrible defensively. At this point its time for him and maybe morey to go.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

OP you kinda remembered, kinda forgot: there are 29 other teams also trying to improve.
    And they do stuff like draft Steph and Klay and Draymond.
    Really, you could outdo the Warriors, could you?
    You are Joe indeed.

roslolian and heypartner like this.
  4. ballgame

ballgame Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Thank you"SF3isBack!!

This is all I've been saying. Even if most are claiming the reason the roster is flawed because Morey is working under salary cap restraints.....it's the players that he chose to put around his stars that are flawed. For one, I wouldn't have cut Bruno Caboclo. When he was here, he showed three things; he could block shots, shot from 3 and rebound. Why cut him? And he provided something you didn't and currently don't have....LENGTH! Secondly, why not go after Christian Woods, I've been proping this guy since last yr, after N.O cut him. He's long, can hit the 3 and block shots, once again, he provides something we do not have. I would prefer him at $1.5M per year, than a Ryan Anderson at $2.5M per yr. These are just a few.

Finally, it's just like "SF3isBack!! said, IT'S WHO YOU PUT AROUND YOUR STAR PLAYERS! Anderson is not going to get better, Sefolosha is not going to get better, Chandler is not going to get better. However, I do agree you need a veteran to help run the Locker Room but we have three spots in our top 12 players who are weighing the Rockets bench down.

Morey hasn't done a good job with the roster the last few yrs.

#84 ballgame, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    SF3isBack!! likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think us average Joe could have done the negotiations and what-not being a GM. But if Morey had taken all of the moves CF proposed through the years, we'd have won multiple championships. :D

6. malakas

malakas Member

I believe I could do a better job than SOME GMs who have had a job in the last 10 years.
    But not Morey.

HP3, D-rock and roslolian like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

more like we’d have traded Harden for garbage

majority of CF is clueless about things like the salary cap and the CBA...sh*t, we got a thread on the 1st page talking about trading EG for Ibaka when EG can’t be traded this year...most average Joes are just clueless and delusional, but like to play couch GM like they’re actually knowledgeable

YOLO, D-rock and roslolian like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Seriously, I've always resent the notion that because we can't do a better job than the pros, we can't judge whether they are good. That is a ridiculous logic.

Sure, the average Joe can see whether a pro does or does not do a good job, and he can definitely know when a pro screws up.

You don't have to know plumbing to know your professional plumber screwed up if your pipes are leaking.

harold bingo, malakas and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

*Raises hand*

10. malakas

malakas Member

There are GMs who dont know the salary cap too. That's why they have special lawyers and consultants.
    I can say off the top of my head about 4-5 GMs who seem to have as much clue for the salary cap as the average NBA fan.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Did not read much in this thread, but have we ruled out OP as jopatmc'aholic's new moniker?

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

this thread is about Morey tho...the average fan is a casual who I have no doubt would be clueless and the worst GM in the league...same with the majority of CF

average CF poster: “Morey sucks, we need a PF”...then will provide no solutions, or if they do it’s something delusional or not even possible

13. Remlap

Remlap Member

FUTURE Rockets GM.. . . .because ANYONE can do it.
    Just like coaching, right?

[​IMG]

14. malakas

malakas Member

oh yeah not about Morey.
    But let's not pretend that even the average GM out there is an expert in the CBA. The newer ones and the elite yes, but the coach-GMs, or the former players know about the same as a hardcore NBA fan does or less.
    There are many examples of blunders even in recent years, because GMs didn't know what they were doing.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

100% of us wouldn't have traded Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, TWO 1sts and a 2nd for a sixth man of the year winner back in 2012. If you disagree then you're lying to yourself.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

There’s a huge difference between hardcore fans that follow most of the league closely and are pretty knowledgeable about the game and the average fan that is really nothing more than a casual tho. Could the former do better than some GMs? Sure. The latter? Hell nah. I don’t put the average CF poster in the knowledgeable hardcore NBA fan category either. A GM might not be an expert on the CBA, but the average fan usually knows very very little. Every GM will make a blunder, even Morey does, but let the average CF poster be a GM and watch that organization go up in flames like 9 times outta 10.

I can’t believe the audacity of this thread malakas...the disrespect to Morey by starting a thread like this is out of hand

HP3, malakas and harold bingo like this.
  17. ballgame

ballgame Member

Speak for yourself. At the time, all of the Top players were under contract and no one else was available. The Rockets had a definite need for a Star player and Harden had just come off a NBA Finals run. He was a Top -5 draft pick, a young player with playmaking and scoring ability. Did it really take a lot of thought to see he could be a top player in the league? No! The Rockets had an abundance of assets, so when the time came available, you POUNCE!

I think you are discounting the average fan and giving Morey too much credit. Do I think Morey has done a good job? Yes. But If you look at what I said initially, can he take us to the NBA Finals, by building a Championship roster, the answer is NO!

To build a roster, it has to be done over a period of time. I think that time should have started the minute he obtained Harden. The first mistake he made was going after Dwight Howard. I mean, Morey laid out the plan and what confuses me is he didn't follow his own plan!!! His next move should have been to acquire another All-Star wing (SIMILAR TO JORDAN AND PIPEN), not a big who could not score! Morey's vision was to RUN AND SHOOT, i.e, Golden State. The Rockets use to KILL The Warriors. All of a sudden, GS added IGGY, took our philosophy, Morey added Howard and everything changed.

I'm still suspect on bringing in Westbrook but to swap him for an aging CP3, you had to do it! But we need another piece, I REALLY LIKE Christian Woods as a small acquisition; he's cheap and you don't have to trade a major piece. He shoots the 3 at a good percentage, block shots and he scores around the rim. I said it before, Woods, Capela and House would make a good frontline moving forward. I don't think either will become All-Stars BUT they are effective!

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think you are severely overestimating the amount of knowledge that average joes/casual fans possess. Do I think u could ever come close to doing any better than Morey and take us to the NBA finals in his place? The answer is HELL NO!

Also, Morey didn’t build a championship roster in 17-18 that was a hamstring away from winning a title? Stop it...

All this is just hindsight talk from u. Dwight was 1 of the biggest stars on the market, and in case u forgot, the Rockets weren’t exactly pulling in stars via free agency before Dwight came here. Dwight would’ve been perfect if he wasn’t obsessed with posting up, and he was excellent with Harden his 1st 2 years here. Did they not make the WCF in 2015? Was Dwight not our best player in the 2014 playoffs?

The Rockets used to kill the Warriors under Marc Jackson before Curry ascended to MVP level and Draymond was Draymond. I’m sorry, but none of what u said shows that u could ever do better. I’m sure you and all the other average joes out there would do much worse. No doubt about it.

19. ballgame

ballgame Member

Do you not recall when Morey was hired? He never played in the NBA and only trained under Danny Ainge a few years when he was hired to become GM of The Houston Rockets. I recall distinctively when he was hired, most felt he was not qualified, because he did not have a Basketball background (NEVER PLAYED, NEVER COACHED, ETC.)

The Rockets previous GM, Ray Patterson, was just the opposite, he had coached in College, NBA, basically earned his stripes, so he paid his dues. And to say all that, the same guy who you are professing to be a MASTER, was highly inexperienced when he first started out.....AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, GO BACK AND READ THE NEWS ARTICLES.

Rocket River likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lol, he had a MIT background. He was well versed in statistics. I’m sure every average Joe can claim the same as well...

his background allowed him to be of great use for the Celtics when starting out

While with the Celtics, he was given much responsibility for basketball operations, including ticket pricing and the development of analytical methods and technology to enhance basketball decisions related to the draft, trades, free agency, and advanced scouting of opponents for the coaching staff.”

Morey wasn’t an average Joe when he was hired. Morey started the trend of analytics in this league. U would’ve never done so. Morey creatively built up the assets needed to acquire Harden while never tanking. U and all these average Joes/casual fans wouldn’t have done that. Stop...

HP3 likes this.