1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Johnson - the 2nd Unit's Anchor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Mar 17, 2018.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

D’Antoni played Ryan Anderson at 5 (center) last night and Joe Johnson at 4 (power forward) on the court at the
    same time. Looks like MDA is still experimenting. Nene rested. Will Nene play tonight vs T-Wolves?

Last night was a game I said Nene should play vs Davis & Mirotic.....but then Ryan became available.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nene gets this night off as well. I would rest CP3 as well and play JJ and Gerald Green.

D-rock likes this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

No, just dumb posters. Some fans always delude themselves into believing that they know more than players, coaches, front office, etc when the reality is that they know jack ****.

topfive and D-rock like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Thx for the tl;dr summary!

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good measured take, @Clutch

My Joe Johnson thoughts. I was in favor of signing him and was hoping for it. But as a whole he hasn't really helped to the degree that I thought he would. We were hoping we were getting a "more consistent 3pt shooter" than Ryan Anderson at the PF spot. That has not been the case. We were hoping we would get some diversity in offense with JJ post ups and that has not been the case. His D is about what I suspected. I like that he is a ball mover. His passing has been good.

But the bottom line is he isn't scoring like we wanted to make him an effective bench role player.

To me, JJ is not taking away Green's minutes. JJ would chip away at Anderson's or Moute's minutes. You can make the case the Rockets should UP Moute's minutes because he at least is an above average defender.

Green is beloved by everyone. He is LOCAL and is high energy. Lot to love there. I am also a fan. BUT, he is hot and cold. It is not like he is a slam dunk should be in the rotation every night.

D-rock likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I’m with you, Joe Johnson attacks from angles that no one else does. He’s a good weapon to have come playoff time when teams try to take away all the attacking styles we like to use.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes and all the hand wringing and gums gnashing is because of the spoiled Rockets fans who go ballistic unless team is winning handily by double digits. Same guys who questioned the CP3 trade, MDA signing and every single inconsequential flaw in Harden on and off the court.

The team is #1 in NBA, historically best offense, top 10 D and learning how to play in tough games heading into the playoffs.

Unclench and enjoy .... try it you might like it.

SWTsig and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The offense has noticeably dropped as of late, we have lost almost 1ppg from our average - our pace is slower, our percentages are down. We need to get back to pushing the ball and moving our bodies....

And JJ is just too slow to keep up.

DD

saleem and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Regular Season Zhoe Zhohnson is taking it easy, wait til you see Playoff Zhoe.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Pace will slow down in post season, adapting now is a good thing. Teams are also double teaming Harden and/or defending full court desperately fighting for their playoff lives.

Almost 1 ppt difference, OMG sound the alarms and sacrifice your children now, the end is nigh so let's panic into stupidity even though team is still winning.

JJ is the 9th or 10th guy and is hardly going to see any time in post season, this whining is ridiculous.

napalm06 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Kegels? I like where this is going, tell me more!

D-rock likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly! This thread is all about kegels. Some guys just enjoy squeezing their "pelvic muscles".

#91 D-rock, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Playoffs tend to slow down and become a half court thing. Numbers come down. Got to be prepared
    for it.

per basketball-reference.com: Houston Rockets regular season vs playoffs
    15/16 reg season...15/16 playoffs..............................16/17 reg season.....16/17 playoffs....
    106.5 pts/gm............91.2 pts/gm.................................115.3 pts/gm...........107.1 pts/gm.....
    45.2 (FG%)..............38.6 (FG%)......................................46.2 (FG%)..............43.9 (FG%).......
    10.7 (3PM)................7.6 (3PM).....................................14.4 (3PM)...............12.8 (3PM).......
    30.9 (3PA).................28.4 (3PA).....................................40.3 (3PA)...............38.5 (3PA)........
    20.4 (FTM)................17.6 (FTM).....................................20.3 (FTM)..............20.4 (FTM).......
    29.4 (FTA)..................27.4 (FTA).....................................26.5 (FTA)...............25.8 (FTA)........

Speed will come down to Joe Johnson’s level. Rockets will surround him with defensive talented players
    when Joe is on the court.

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

And CF erroneously believe that Joe is taking mins from Green. Their roles are completely different. JJ will back up Tucker and Ryno at 4 spot and be garbage time ball handler.

Green is a SG/SF and will fight for minutes behind deep wing depth of Gordon, Ariza, Luc, PJ, etc.

mickey_angelo and ApacheWarrior like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Joe Johnson’s value will be in the playoffs thru post ups. Big amount won’t be necessary.

http://stats.nba.com/players/playtype-post-up/

I’ve noted JJ’s numbers at 6 games: per stats.nba.com (play type—post ups)
    6 games:16.7% frequency............0.88 ppp............— percentile

Now after 9 games:
    9 games: 19.7% frequency...........1.00 ppp............82.9 percentile

I’ve never been much on Joe Johnson Iso because the Rockets have other players running iso.
    His numbers have come down from Utah last year:
    Joe Johnson, Utah 16/17 (Iso): 15.3% frequency........0.79 ppp.................43.1 NBA percentile
    Joe Johnson, Hou 17/18 (Iso): 19.7% frequency..........0.67 ppp.................17.9 NBA percentile

Joe Johnson Post ups regular season vs playoffs:
    15/16 regular season...........15/16 playoffs
    10.7% frequency...................16.8% frequency
    1.15 ppp................................1.03 ppp
    80.7 percentile......................85.3 percentile

16/17 regular season............16/17 playoffs
    10.5% frequency....................10.6%
    0.78 ppp.................................0.75 ppp
    23.7 percentile.......................32.3 percentile

Current (9 games with Rockets) Post Ups
    19.7% frequency
    1.00 ppp
    82.9 NBA percentile

Just needs some playing time.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sure, but also sometimes both box stats and advanced stats are jumping out at us, and we have to wonder what those people are seeing that we're not. In the end they are people interpreting stats as well.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

For one, MDA is a professional coach and one who is responsible for revamping our offense. Two, Morey is the guy who built this team and has an entire army of stat nerds behind him. I think our team is in good hands, far better hands than the chicken little armchair coaches and GM's that plague this BBS.

D-rock likes this.
  17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Dumber than a box of hammers? really? you're an ass.

D-rock likes this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That's not just this BBS. And that's why forums exist. People enjoy chatting and pontificating. This place would really suck if we just responded to every idea with "irrelevant, you're not the GM."

And even if Morey turns out to be the best GM of all-time, that doesn't mean we can't draw rational conclusions from data. That's like saying we can't challenge the President because he has access to more information.

Also, Morey reads Clutchfans himself, and I don't think it's just to search for posts about his greatness. :cool:

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

At this point we should be ironing out playoff rotations. Neither JJ nor GG will be in the core rotation but there is more upside with GG.

I wish greasy Keith Jones could anchor JJ to the chair.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This is the Rockets sub forum. If you like eggball go post in the eggball forums