1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Johnson - the 2nd Unit's Anchor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

exactly. We have alot of surface stat worshipers here. I like what I see with Joe Johnson floor vision. People are bricking all his great passes.

Its the same thing with paul running the second unit. Paul doesnt dominate most of the time scoring by himself like harden can do. People have to make shots with CP3 in the game for that unit to be effective. Thats the difference in Harden running the first unit and paul the second. Id argue that Paul gets better shooters with Gordon and when not injured ryan anderson. Thats why it was brilliant to put anderson with paul and gordon

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No evidence at all as to how much time Johnson will get in meaningful playoff minutes considering he has yet to play one playoff game with they Rockets. Good coaches will put their best players on the court in meaningful playoff games. I know Johnson has had little effect on many wins since he's been with the team but aren't they 12-1 since he was acquired? Isn't it just possible that they are seeing how effective he can be and how much help he can provide without sacrificing wins at that learning expense? Isn't every minute he's on the court one less minute a key contributor is having to play?

D-rock, Landsdale and hakeem94 like this.
  3. OTMax

OTMax Member

The problem I have with playing Joe all these minutes is that he hasn't EARNED them. He came in, a favorite of MDA - even Morey is mocking him for his special love for Joe - and immediately got 15-20 minutes. Also it doesn't help when you lie to the media that you want to play Green, when you've just played him and then don't play him anymore after you've said that. I get that Joe could potentially pay off come play-off time and Green has had some very bad shooting games, just settling for threes and not doing much else, but last 2-3 games he was solid. He gave us some threes when we badly needed them, so rather that than slow Joe.

4. alcatrazpsycho

nep·o·tism | ˈnepəˌtizəm | noun | the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

synonyms : favoritism, preferential treatment, the old boy network, looking after one's own, bias, partiality, partisanship

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Uhm...thanks?

alcatrazpsycho and BigShasta like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

his passing game is huge...he is another playmaker and a clutch time option something rockets need very much... its worth giving him a chance.... thinking he needs to literally earn it is outdated notion...his passing skills already earned it

7. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

? earn it???

Hes been in the NBA for 17 years. Hes earned it.

Hes played like what? 11 actual games with us? for an avg of 20 or less minutes per game. What do you have to do to earn 15 minutes in a game? play 20 years?

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Shouldn’t he have to show by now he deserves minutes over Green and or Ryno? That you play him from the start, that’s fine, but to immediately replace a guy who’s performed to me is not right.

Remlap and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Until jj cost us da first seed, or the playoffs I'm gonna keep defending the man. Gg fans love splashy 3s, but they don't appreciate the passes jj produce to open teammates who won't convert. Our head coach Coach values consistency, Gg is a streaky shooter who can use his quick release to his great advantage, but unless he converts them in close game situation consistently, not gonna see any playing time. I can see where u complain about not letting him play in outright blowouts, but with the Rockets u don't see the lead being that massive until the near end. Gg is also increasing the amount of mid range, which he isn't converting as effectively. Don't let your blind adoration of green miss his short comings.

10. anchel

anchel Member

Green is worst than him defensively, and offensively is just a streaky shooter who can't pass a ball. We don't need him when we have all our shooting arsenal available,
    Joe is patient, smart, and is a very interesting alternative at playmaking from the low post. His passing, patience, IQ, playmaking, versatility, will be important in a tough playoff series. You do rotations thinking in playoffs. He is more dependable than GG in playoff basketball.

D-rock and mockster like this.
  11. mockster

mockster Member

It’s a bit disrespectful to talk crap about the guy who’s gonna be hitting our game winners in playoffs

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He should not be playing ahead of Green

Joe is incredibly indecisive, doesn't play within the offense, shoots like **** and cant play defense

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I watched the replay last night in the late 3rd and the early 4th quarter when we blew 20 points lead, at least in the period of time, JJ wasn't a defensive liability. Not a single time he lost his defensive position although he is not as good as PJ or Luc at covering other's mistakes.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

JJ needs make his open 3, get more comfortable and be more confident. That’s what the rest of the season is for.

Invisible Fan and Madeinchin4 like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm afraid that JJ is a step slow, and that will not improve just by playing him more.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How is it a myth between Joe Johnson and Gerald Green? Green probably still has a 40" vertical and younger legs. He blocks shots and rebounds. His bad habit is ball watching and losing his man. Joe knows where he needs to go, good at staying with his man off ball, but his lateral movement is no longer there and if he's not making shots he is a net negative. Green has still come out on the positive during bad shooting nights with the other facets he can bring. If the game is down to one possession then I would trust Joe as a sneaky 4th option over Green, but when trying to extend a lead or even prevent a comeback Joe doesn't seem to fit. We lose leads when he's in the game and rarely bust games open due to his slow tempo. His 3 ball is probably more streaky than Green. Hopefully it won't matter and we have an 8 guy rotation that kills it in the playoffs and it's all moot.

Remlap likes this.
  17. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Thank you, and this is true.

1. His passes haven't been 'great'. Come on people grasping at straws, stop over exaggerating his skills. There is a reason Ryno shoots way better when Paul passes him the ball then others and thats because Pauls passes consistently hit him in the perfect spot to not break his shooting rhythm. As great as Harden is, his passes to Ryno leave Ryno fetching for them.

Yes, Joe is finding the open man with passes out of the post. However they aren't leading to baskets because he isn't hitting the spots that allow a player to catch and shoot all within their natural shooting motion.

2. I'm not convinced post up play with Joe Johnson in our 2nd unit is a wise choice. We have players tailored made for the break, why slow the game down? I want our game to be the fastest as possible against the opposing teams 2nd units, because that tends to be the units less experienced/whom find it tougher to play/more errors committed as the NBA game gets faster.

LorneMalvo and Verbal Christ like this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

When did Morey mock MDA regarding JJ?

19. today

today Contributing Member

I appreciate your efforts, but they do not assuage my fears.

20. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

DD curse in reverse.
    Championship is ours confirmed.
    Joe Johnson finals MVP.

D-rock likes this.