1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Johnson - the 2nd Unit's Anchor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Mar 17, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

JJ makes Braintree Webber and Markel brown look good .

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Bring Back bobby brown

GG >>> BB >> JJ:eek:

Snow Villiers likes this.
  3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The bench was not good tonight overall, but Joe though is clearly not getting on the BBS' good side. He was a -15 tonight in 14 minutes.

The problem is Gerald Green is simply a hot or cold offensive player. He did a great job helping the Rockets in a pinch. He's more athletic than JJ and an aggressive shooter, but he doesn't have the all-around basketball IQ that JJ does. There's still time for JJ to fit in, but the Rockets have options ... Ryan Anderson is getting back and will likely see more time.

4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

J.R. likes this.
  5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully Anderson will play well enough to take the majority of his minutes. Too bad Wright died after one game, we could really use him when Nene is too old or not effective.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thing is even when Green isn't hitting his shot he is more active than Joe defensively and more athletic to contest on that end and when his shot is dropping he's usually automatic. I'm watching Joe on defense and he reminds me of the old dude at the Y playing with the youngsters. Joe may know where he needs to be, but the legs just dont respond as fast anymore.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People whining about JJ vs GG are like the same folks screaming for T-Will and Francis pt 2.

8. alcatrazpsycho

Can Morey waive JJ? Paying him NOT to play is actually not such a bad deal...

See thread: This Nepotism Must End

PeterKingX likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, I really, really hate this BS now that Anderson is back.

I tolerated it when I thought he was just experimenting until we got healthy, but this seems to be official rotation now...so f**k this.

10. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

uh? dumb analogy

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Don’t fall for that myth that more athletic means more defensive activity.

Westbrook is athletic but can’t defend just like Green. JJ has way better BBIQ than Green and knows where he needs to be at all times.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

JJ looked pretty decent in his first couple games with us, but has looked absolutely atrocious in the past couple weeks... I still feel like he has the potential to be a decent piece in the playoffs, though. But right now, I want his minutes to go to Green Light.

today likes this.
  13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i agree gg has looked better even though he's just a streaky offensive weapon. i'm not too worried because MDA only plays 5.5 players in playoff games anyway. jj may not be part of the playoff rotation. he may just be giving guys rest by lowering their regular season minutes.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If u pay attention to the plays when jj gets the ball in the post, he draws defenders in and makes really intelligent passes to his teammates. Put him more in the post and let him do sum play making in there, otherwise he's kinda weak everywhere else. Also people needs to make the shots when jj passes it to them, otherwise clutchfans who only looks at +/- gonna riot and moan for GG, who is basically a streaky shooter w/ a quickass release.

15. today

today Contributing Member

I'm terrified that this won't be the case...

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The numbers are clear: Gerald Green shoots best with 300 days of rest. D’Antoni is just trying to replicate that early season magic by having him come off the bench in the playoffs with as many days on the couch as possible.

Joe Johnson is simply the team’s Mike Fiers, or Fat Livan Hernandez: an innings eater and nothing more.

Verbal Christ and napalm06 like this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What makes you think the Rockets won't have their best possible options on the floor in any winnable game in the playoffs? Right now they have the luxury of experimenting. They are smart enough to tighten the rotations and play the hot hand and better players in the playoffs.

18. today

I hope that's the case, but I'll have to see it to believe it. Coach's track record so far with JJ makes me believe that we'll be seeing him for 8-12 minutes a game in the playoffs.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How many playoff games has be played Johnson in as a Rocket?

20. today

Zero. Same for PJ/Luc... Why do you expect them to play in the playoffs? Past behavior is predictor of future behavior.

Joe is averaging 23 minutes per game and MDA plays him even when he has better options on the bench. There's plenty of evidence to make a logical assumption that JJ will be in the playoff rotation. That may not scare you, but it scares me.

I've said my peace.

#60 today, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    AroundTheWorld, 1Deep and Little Bit like this.