1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jodie Meeks: 26 pts as starter

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Lovemachine2000

Actually, often they do.

2. MONON

MONON Member

Funny thing about that. When you score 54 points, people tend to forget "liability on defense".

3. foo82

foo82 Member

No quite the contrary. Efficiency tends to go down while minutes increase. The concept of percentage is nothing more than made/attempt. Increasing your attempts won't make you any more accurate.

By your logic and the previous poster's logic, if I averaged 60% 3's on 1.0 attempt a game in 10min/game, you think that efficency will go up if he plays 35 min? Don't be ridiculous.

4. mosessmalone

mosessmalone Member

Yeah but often times if a player has limited minutes he is nervous about his shot selection and can't get a rhythm going because he is under pressure to perform in a brief time span.

But if he has more playing time he can start to get more comfortable and his percentages will go up

5. J-Man

J-Man Member

54 SECONDS??????!! :eek:

6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

He's raining down 3's on Boston right now.

7. Lovemachine2000

First, my argument is not a conclusive one. By that I mean in some cases, increased minutes may decrease shooting percentages; in some cases the percentages may remain the same; when players see their average minutes increase from say, 10 mpg to 25 mpg, often their percentages increase because their are able to establish their rhythm playing longer sessions, and they have more confidence knowing that their minutes will remain steady. Now, thinking that percentages will always remain constant with playing time fluctuation is a rather problematic assumption.

8. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Elton Brand is looking good..

9. bongo33

bongo33 Member

RAY ALLEN!

10. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Meeks bout to hit a similar shot.. dont worry

11. bongo33

bongo33 Member

12. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

14. Sanity2disChaos

Morey i want Iggy/Meeks..........NOW.....

15. parmesh

parmesh Member

Dream on...

IDK why bust some posters think we can throw expirings + people barely in our rotation and a draft pick to score superstars and young talent...absurd.

16. Sanity2disChaos

Didnt say all that but the Rox had something on the table not to long ago, whether that was Expirings,players,TE or whatever who knows but the organization....They should really look into trading for this dude.he is a stud.

17. foo82

foo82 Member

And thinking percentages will always go up is not a problematic assumption?
    That was my point. I'm not saying it will go down. I'm saying more often than not, you are not going to see an increase in percentages. Hell, even from year to year under constant minutes won't see the same percentages. If he's shooting lights out one year, he could go on a slump the next year (Budinger anyone?).

My point is ultimately, your playing time is not going to affect your shot all that much. You either have it or you don't.

18. foo82

foo82 Member

Do you need to be taught about correlation vs causation? It could be more due to the fact that he's feeling comfortable in the NBA rather than his minutes increase. Of course him feeling more comfortable and shooting great LEAD to an increase in minutes, not the other way around.

19. foo82

foo82 Member

Damn I wish I could edit.

Anyways for every player you show that increased in shooting percentages with minutes, I could show the opposite. One thing you will find is that people's shooting percentages go up within their early years in the NBA.

The poster was implying that his shooting percentages will go up even further if he gets increased minutes.

Let me give you an example. Kyle Korver shot an insane 53.6% last year in 18 minutes of play. Are you saying he would be feeling more rhythm and shooting even better percentages at 30+ minutes?

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Did you completely ignore the games that he play? He was not feeling comfortable and shooting well in limited minutes, which then lead to increased minutes.

He had his first 20 minute game on November 10th and shot 6-9 FG and 4-5 3pt. In the 7 games prior, he had 6 DNPs and one 16 min game with astinker of 2-6 FG and 1-4 3ptin 16 min.

Then, he had 2 more DNPs and 4 under 20 minute games with sub 35% 3pt shooting. Then, he played 2 more 20+ games and shoot 50% or more on 3pts.

He got 3 more under 20 minute games, he shoot goose eggs in the first 2 games and made 2-3 in the last game. It was game where he played 19 minutes though. Then, he got 3 straight 20+ min games and over 35% 3pt shooting again.

How was Meeks feeling more "comfortable", feeling more "confident" or "shooting well" in limited minutes equal more play time, when he was throwing up goose eggs and stinkers in limited minutes?