1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Job Thread] Ernst + Young

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Vengeance, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Hey, I figured I'd turn here and see if anyone here has any experience with Ernst + Young. I'm being recruited by their Security and Technology Solutions consulting group, and I made it to the second round of interviews (in New York!). I need some advice -- does anyone here work with E+Y, or have any experience in recruiting with them?

#1 Vengeance, Oct 21, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  2. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

A good friend of mine works there. They have a nice office in downtown close to MMP... From what I understand, they are a solid company with good benefits.

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I have a friend that worked in my office as an intern and got a job with them in Houston. I can ask if you want.

He said they were great.

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Long term, it'll never hurt your resume.

5. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Nice... you must have solid credentials.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Veng....you going to be a road warrior?

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

My wife is a senior manager there. I would rank them as a good, but far from great company. They give a lot of lip service to the things that could make them a great company, but there remains quite a bit of the good 'ol boy culture........at least down here in the oil and gas-centric Houston office.

On a side note.....I always laugh that a big four accounting firm would have their NY office in the middle of fricken Times Square. Seems a bit counterintuitive.

8. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

The company has a stellar reputation and even if you decide to move on its an awesome asset to have on your resume.

J

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No one works in the home office, except the support staff. The real work is done on-site at the client's location.

10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

That wasn't really my point. I always think of accounting as the most straight laced of conservative job paths (even though I know that a big four firm is made up of a LOT more than just accountants......like my wife for instance). So it just seems........"funny"....to me that an accounting firm has a location in such a place that I associate with constant partying. My wife would probably disagree with you anyway......she works her butt off at the office as well as at her clients' sites........but then again, she isn't an auditor.

Another thing....although I stand by what I said, I hope I didn't come across as too harsh on EY. They do have some issues to work out, but they will look great on your resume. They also offer quite a bit of opportunity for hard workers. It isn't a bad company by any means.......they just aren't as good as they could be.

11. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice guys!

I would end up being a road warrior -- I don't know if this is what I want or not, to tell you the truth. Before I came here to Pittsburgh, I really thought having a job like that would be cool. But now that I've been away from Texas for a while, I'm not entirely certain that I want to be on the road full-time. But I think I'd take the job if I get it, no matter what. I'd be stationed in LA, New York, or in Chicago, but I'd be traveling all the time. It would be a great opportunity for me to break into computer security as a career, and I suspect the pay will be good enough for me to pay off my loans fairly quickly.

But I guess I've still got to make it through the interviews in New York before I can even think about this.