1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

job offer in Abu Dhabi, UAE

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fba34, Apr 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

could use some info on the city. how much do you need to make to live there comfortably, what kind of city is it, entertainment, population, weather, etc. is it as expensive as dubai?

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

its a much better (calm/civil/clean) alternative to dubai and its nightlife/drugs/prostitution...

3. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

It's not cleaner than Dubai... It's not as culturally diverse as Dubai... There is little to no drug useage in the UAE, Dubai and AD....

Prostitution is just as bad now, and the nightlife has improved in the last few months since they've open up a few nice humongous clubs...

Still, it is a calm city... Lots of expats there... If you ever get bored, Dubai is a 2-hour drive away (MAX)... It's developing faster than Dubai because they started a bit later...

Dubai is a lot like London/New york in that everyone's busy, things are moving fast, etc etc.... Abu Dhabi is the calmer alternative...

As for what's a comfortable pay, it depends on how many people you're supporting... If it's just you, I would say around $6-7,000 would be awesome...

Weather is slightly better than Dubai, but slightly more humid as well... Entertainment wise, there's pretty much nothing you can do in Dubai that you cn't do in Abu Dhabi...

4. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I lived there three years...

It's a nice place, hot as hell, night life is okay, depends on what you are looking for, you can always drive down to Dubai to have your fun, it's only about 2 hours away.

I don't know exactly how expensive it is now, but I would assume $6000 would be enough for you to live comfortably.

Did I mention it's hot as hell :p

Also great food if you are into that....oh man I'm craving a shawarma.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

6,000? :eek:

That's it?

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You have to know that much of the rest of the world does not make what people in the US makes. We used to live on what 15 dollars a month in China. But vegetable is only like less than a penny a pound and rent is like I think a dollar a month for two rooms (of course we have no cars). So absolute wage comparison means nothing most of the time.

7. Two Sandwiches

I figured that, but I remember in the Dubai thread, I thought someone said that Dubai wages were more than U.S.

That coupled with the 6000 dollars thing made me :eek: .

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

How much do servants cost? Like a driver, cook, etc..

Do locals have servants?

9. pirc1

If that is the case, sounds like a great place to me. ;)

10. Two Sandwiches

I rechecked.

It said DOCTORS get paid twice as much. Since I'm going into the medical field, that must have stuck in my mind though (not going to be a doctor, though).

Dang.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

So you're saying that the cost of living is $6000 right? Not the salary? The people I know who go work in Dubai get paid $200k and don't have to pay taxes if they stay over there over 11 months. Now if you're saying the cost of living is $6000 then that is friggin awesome. You get paid buttloads, don't pay taxes, and don't have to spend anything to live.

12. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

:eek: .

How can I get a job over there?!

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG]

If you find my cat, would you send him back to me, please? Thanks...

14. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

most of my childhood and teen years i thought abu dhabi was a made up place on garfield.... boy was i wrong :eek:

15. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I said $6-7,000 PER MONTH for ONE PERSON in Abu Dhabi is pretty damn decent. Just wanted to make that absolutely clear.

You don't pay taxes if you only visit the US except for every 11 months (I believe).

Mr. Brightside,

We don't have servants. But we do have houshelpers and you would pay them somewhere between $500 and $1500 per month based on skills, languages, experience, etc... That's for someone who would basically live in your house, but would be capable of doing pretty much anything: cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc...

Everyone here needs help because families here are much bigger than you guys would be used to, therefore the houses are bigger, therefore more help is needed. For example, my aunt's household has 12 people living in it, and she's getting up there in age, so they have two helpers and a cook. It's a different culture... For UAE nationals and Arabs in general, it's frowned upon to leave your parents' house before you get married. That has almost completely dissapeared with the new generation, but it's still quite common with the older generations. Difficult to understand, I know, but its a culture/religion thing.

16. pirc1

Well 6k-7k per month is not much different than the US. We were thinking of 6k-7k per YEAR! :eek: For one peson?

17. Two Sandwiches

I completely agree with this post.

I saw the picture and did a big "OHHHHHH!" immediately.

Nice touch A-train.