1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Job hunting while having a job.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheke64, Apr 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You want to jump ship because you think the grass is greener on the other side. How should you go about why you want to leave? Should you just leave it out of the resume cause it would be easier? Will they call your current employer?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They wont call your current employer. They don't look down on you for looking while having a job, that's actually much preferred. The story you choose to tell needs to be a good one though. Tell the truth, but make the story as sexy as you can without putting your current employer in a bad light.

1 person likes this.
  3. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

They won't call your current employer. Just say you're looking for new challenges, looking for more growth as a person, etc, etc. Never bad mouth your old employer, it comes off as petty. You don't put this kind of stuff on a resume, as these questions are normally reserved for the interview process.

Pistol Pete and cheke64 like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Like what doboyz said, just give the generic answer... personal growth, new challenges. It's worked for me in the past. I also never ever bad mouth past employers no matter how bad they were, even after starting a new job. I think the worst I said was something like we had differences creatively and even that isn't really a bad thing because then you could say how we focused on the common goal and set aside our differences to reach it.

Salvy and cheke64 like this.
  5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm always hesitant to contact someone's current employer, even with thier permission, but I do it if there isn't any other source for a reliable reference. Even if you say not to contact them, most applications have a disclaimer that allows employers to contact past/current employers right above the canidate signature at the end of thier employment application. Usually references aren't performed until just before the job offer, so I recommend that if you list a contact at your current employer, list that contacting them is contingent upon an offer for employment.

Also, find out if your current employer has a policy stating that all references/emoloyment verifications be referred to Human Resources. You should be able to find that info in your company handbook. If they do, and you work for a large organization, you shouldn't have much to worry about. Just provide the reference checker with the direct contact info for HR. But If the company that you work for is smaller, you might want to be careful with as well because word can and probably will travel.

Two Sandwiches and cheke64 like this.
  6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

One thing I've also done in the past several times is provide a reference to people I trust - like teammates and co-workers I am comfortable with. Usually if you've been a job for a while you've made some friends that you can confide in. Obviously, you should discuss this with the persons before submitting them as a reference so that they understand why you are testing the waters, as well as make sure they are comfortable for giving you a reference and/or being put in that predicament.

References at previous positions do not have to be from your managers.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

1. Never quit and then look for a job. Always look WHILE you still have a job.
    2. Always move UP, whether in position, salary, or location, to the new job, never down. In some cases, laterally is a good choice if the situation in the current job is bad. Always compare perks/salary/amount of work before applying to a new one.
    3. Continue to remain in good standing with the current job. Never burn bridges or let the current employer know you're "looking", as this can create a sense of panic.
    4. Always give ample notice to your current employer if you're leaving and are 100% sure of it.
    5. Allow for the potential employer to contact your current employer, even though most won't even try. If you've followed all the previous four steps, you have nothing to fear and they won't bad-mouth you.

:eek: Good luck.

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

For one, I never have my current employer listed. I always state something like 'Network Engineer for local Fortune 500 Oil & Gas company'.
    The companies don't really care so whatever answer you give them is just a formality. They don't want to hire an unemployed person anyway so it would be ridiculous for them to make a big deal that you have are looking while having a job.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Since we're on topic... I know someone who has been out of work for almost 2 years now. Tried entrepreneur and may not be for him, so he's back on the market. What is a good excuse when asked by potential employers? I've read that being honest and say you tried dipping your hand with starting your own business but it didn't work out as planned, might be a good reason.

What would be the best thing to say?

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Business owner
    Consultant

Nothing wrong with either

DaDakota likes this.
  11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I think being honest would be the best answer too. Make sure he does account for the time in his resume though.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't think he can say consultant, but I don't really know for sure what he's selling either. Some kind of risk management thing maybe... don't understand. Do they usually ask for elaboration and/or "what went wrong?"

13. Mr. Clutch

In my experience, not really. Just have an answer that sounds good. They are more interested in if you can do the job and be good for them.

I started a new job, and a couple months later started interviewing again. Nobody much cared

14. Mr. Clutch

I wouldn't say nothing they. Definitely have some kind of work.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm in the hunt. I like what I do now but my company is very top heavy (read: bottlenecks, useless executives) and when I asked for a market adjustment and promotion, which I'm due for based on company HR guidelines, I was told there was no budget this year. Since it's such an awesome job market, I decided to see what was out there.

I paid a guy on Fiverr.com $150 to revamp my resume. He also built an infographic resume with a QR code. He's a former recruiter so he also gave me detailed instructions on how to completely redo my LinkedIn profile. I also did my own headshot using a guide and some Photoshop magic.

I finished this up yesterday and recruiters are banging down my door.

I'm in a situation where I don't have to leave so I can pick and choose based on the situation. I had a conversational interview with an amazing company that fits most of my values and work/life balance ideals, and the pay is 80% more (possibly 100 % more with bonuses and some commission when customers add items to their projects) with what sounds like less work.

I do have multiple sources of outside income but I'm a hard worker and with three kids and my wife still working, I like to keep my main job especially with health insurance and PTO.

Anyone else looking currently?

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Worst humble brag ever.

Invisible Fan and ElPigto like this.
  17. Xerobull

[​IMG]

clos4life likes this.
  18. clos4life

clos4life Member

Grat advice, thank you for the useful information Xerobull.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. Xerobull

clos4life likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@InfiniteBull