1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimmy Swaggart

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by outlaw, Sep 20, 2004.

1. outlaw

outlaw Member

why are people still listening to this guy?

Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart Threatens To Kill Gays
    http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/09/092004swaggart.htm

by Jan Prout
    365Gay.com Newscenter
    Toronto Bureau

Posted: September 20, 2004 12:02 am ET

(Toronto, Ontario) A Canadian television station has apologized publicly to viewers for a telecast of American evangelist Jimmy Swggart's television program in which he threatened to kill gays.

The program, aired last week on Omni 1, a Toronto multicultural station, and throughout the US, has also prompted an investigation by the Canadian Radio Television Commission, the government agency which regulates television.

During the program, a rambling sermon by Swaggart who is trying to rehabilitate himself after an arrest for soliciting a prostitute, the televangelist turned to the subject of gay marriage.

According to a transcript of the program, Swaggart said: "I'm trying to find the correct name for it ... this utter absolute, asinine, idiotic stupidity of men marrying men. ... I've never seen a man in my life I wanted to marry. And I'm gonna be blunt and plain; if one ever looks at me like that, I'm gonna kill him and tell God he died."

The remarks were met with applause from his congregation.

The program was taped at Swaggart's ministry in New Orleans where voters Saturday agreed to amend the Louisiana constitution to bar same-sex marriage.

The CRTC investigation was prompted by a complaint by a viewer in Ottawa. It is not known if any complaints had been made in the US where the show appears on stations in all 50 states. A spokesperson for the FCC which regulates television in the US did not return calls for comment Sunday.

Toronto station Omni 1 reviewed the tape after a complaint was made. A spokesperson called the remarks "a serious breach" of Canadian broadcast regulations.

Omni 1 is owned by Rogers Communications a conglomerate that controls the largest cable and cell phone companies in Canada and also owns television and radio stations and a publishing company.

Under Canadian law hate speech is a criminal offense. Broadcast lawyers say that both the station and Swaggart could be charged in addition to any penalty imposed by the CRTC.

The FCC has wide powers for imposing fines. Last month the Commission fined 20 CBS television stations more than $25,000 each over the Janet Jackson bare breast incident at the Super Bowl.

In 1987 Swaggart in a tearful sermon begged forgiveness from his followers after being found with a prostitute.

watch it around the 36 minute mark
    mms://www.freedomstream.net/jsm/jsm_091204.wmv

2. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Honestly, if you had not mentioned this, I doubt 90% of the people hear would have even noticed this.

Why do people still listen to this guy? Because there are a lot of idiots.

He's old, he'll die soon. Dont worry 'boot it,eh.

3. outlaw

outlaw Member

I'm not worried about him as much as I am that one of those "idiots" will actually carry out what he says.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Don't you kind of think you've mischaracterized what he actually said? You've sensationalized it and drawn attention to it. He's admitted to extreme homphobia; let him suffer with that.

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I agree - he didn't say he was going to kill homosexuals - he just said he was going to kill any guy who he thought looked at him like they were homosexual. Slight difference, but it's there.

BTW - I don't believe Jimmy Swaggert is a Christian, regardless of what he says.

6. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

You'd think a guy who's assured of eternity in heaven would be more secure about his masculinity.

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

Who can trust the guy... I mean he stirs the oxygen tanks then BANG your spacecraft is all but blown to bits

8. outlaw

outlaw Member

dude i didn't write the article or the headline of the article so what did i sensationalize exactly?

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Huh ?

----> "And I'm gonna be blunt and plain; if one ever looks at me like that, I'm gonna kill him and tell God he died."

Mischaracterized ?

:confused:

10. giddyup

My mistake. I thought the article headline was the thread title. Sorry. I didn't look back.

:eek:

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Any bets that Swaggart is now seeing male prostitutes?

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

"Just remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over."
    Frank Zappa

Sung to the tune of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Picture yourself with a w**** in New Orleans,
    with big purple welts, all over her bod.
    Somebody calls and you answer quite slowly.
    It's the board from assembly, oh god

Ignorant crackers like you've never seen, groveling under your bed.
    Look for the girl with the spoo in her lap, and she's gone!

Louisiana hooker with herpes.
    Owwww!

We saw her go down to a room by the airport,
    where Jimmy gets off watching p*rnography.
    Everyone smiles as we tread through his horse****,
    that grows so incredibly high.

Newspaper writers appear at his door, waiting to take Jim away.
    He climbs in the back with his head up his ass, and he's gone!
    [everybody!] Louisiana hooker with herpes.
    Owwww!

Picture yourself on your own TV station,
    with brain-dead supporters with tears in their eyes.
    Suddenly someone is there at commercial,
    the girl with the pee-hole surprise.

[c'mon now!] Louisiana hooker with herpes.
    Owwww! Ow!

Owwww! Ow!

The Zappa medley of Beatles tunes re-written for Swaggart were hysterical and worth searching out. Note for note musical renditions performed live with major alterations of lyrical content. He did Norwegian Wood, Strawberry Fields Forever and the above listed Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So how is the article title mischaracterizing what he said?

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Not only is Swaggart homophobic, he's also stupid enough to think that he can murder someone and "tell God he died." :)

15. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Hey, it worked for Cain in Genesis. Oh wait, no it didn't.

16. giddyup

The headline implies an open-ended deliberate, calculated threat; Swaggart's suggestion was personal and specific. He's not promoting serial killilng. He's describing his paranoid (my word not his) response to a situation that would make him very uncomfortable.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

thanks for making it just a little bit harder to have real credibility relating to the world as a Christ-follower, Jimmy. great work.

18. droxford

droxford Member

Yeah, I noticed that, too. That's gotta be one of the bumbest things I've ever heard any Christian leader say.

-- droxford

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Swaggart is still alive?

Learn something new every day.

20. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll throw an Oral Roberts type ultimatum to God... and lose.