1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimmy Johnson says Bears hiring Trestman

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by GRENDEL, Jan 11, 2013.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter

7:42 a.m. CST, January 11, 2013

Chicago Bears general manager Phil Emery has at least three interviews scheduled for this weekend but Jimmy Johnson strongly implies a choice has been made for the next head coach of the team.

According to the Fox analyst and former coach of the Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins, Marc Trestman will be the next head coach of the Bears. That is what Johnson wrote early this morning on his personal Twitter account. A Bears spokesman declined comment, saying the team would maintain the policy it adopted when the coaching search process began.

“Looks like 2 of my guys getting NFL jobs ... Chud Cleveland and my QB coach at U Trestman to Chicago,” Johnson wrote on Twitter.

Johnson has not explained the situation any further. Trestman is currently the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes in the CFL. He last worked in the NFL in 2004 with the Dolphins. The Alouettes have won two Grey Cup titles under Trestman, who had also interviewed for the head job with the Browns that went to Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski on Thursday night.

Emery was in Green Bay on Thursday night where he interviewed Packers offensive coordinator Tom Clements. It is believed Houston Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison will be interviewed today. Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell is scheduled to be interviewed on Saturday in Atlanta. Emery is scheduled to interview Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians on Sunday.

Now, Johnson did not specify Trestman was specifically coming to the Bears as head coach. It is possible he could be considered for another role but Emery is on the road looking for the team’s next head coach, not in an effort to hire the offensive coordinator for his next coach.

bmbiggs@tribune.com
    Twitter @BradBiggs

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ears-hiring-trestman-20130111,0,7941124.story

Not sure if Jimmy is a good source but John Clayton has been saying he's the best choice.

2. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Wouldn't mind but still holding out for McCoy or Arians.

3. GRENDEL

Ditto but this "news" has been spreading around this morning.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Reportedly down to three: Bruce Arians, Darrell Bevell and Marc Trestman.

5. GRENDEL

I'd be fine with Arian, Trestman makes me nervous since he's been in the CFL for so long but all the experts say the guy is a genius. Bevell, no thanks....

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So no Dennison?

Oh well.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Trestman turned Rich Gannon into an NFL MVP.

With Forte as his Charlie Garner, the Bears offense may finally take off.

8. GRENDEL

They had Gannon on ESPN Chicago last Friday and he could not stop singing Trestman's praises. Everything I've heard about him has been stellar, just not personally familiar with him.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

They should not hire Arian. Colts need him as an OC more. :grin:

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

With that kind of defense in place, Trestman really could bring to Chicago what Mike Martz was supposed to.

11. GRENDEL

They just had Steve Young on in Chicago, heaping more praise on Trestman. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with Trestman, sounds like he's the real deal.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. GRENDEL

Hopefully he'll do the smart thing and leave the defense, keeping Marinelli as DC, more or less the same. There's maybe a 2-3 years window for the D as constructed, best to leave it with the veteran talent on there.

Just want him to focus on the offense and get things clicking.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Someone please hire him. Please.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I could see the Bears running that 2000s Raider offense very effectively.

Interesting hire.

16. htown1984

htown1984 Member

YES Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase... this is the only way we will even consider a new
    Offensive Coordinator... :( so sad

17. GRENDEL

Similar players, could be very interesting especially if they shore up some of that O line.

18. Nook

Nook Member

This is a feast or famine hire.

19. GRENDEL

Offensively it can't be any more famine than it was last year.

20. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

That's what the setup is looking like right now. They also brought in the OC from that Oakland squad, Aaron Kromer. I like the DeCamillis at special teams hire and they're also trying to keep Rod Marinelli at DC.

I like the fact that Trestman came in and had his staff ready to go. Not entirely comfortable with the choice just yet due to the unfamiliarity and his last exit from San Fran but he's slowly growing on me.

Now to see how Emery's draft works.