1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JIm Rome's thoughts on Texas A&M University

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by underoverup, Aug 20, 2003.

1. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

this thread is still going on....?????

it is the song that never ends, and it goes on and on my friends

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

My OU brethren, can't you stay out of this one and watch the sparks fly? This is some entertaining sh*t. :)

Plus, we have our own problems with in-state schools. :(

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

As in "good thing," do you mean NFL Player? I sincerely hope you are kidding. One thing A&M has never had trouble with is producing NFL players...especially on the defensive side.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

That should be:

84% White
    3% Black
    9% Hispanic
    1% Asian

cough whitewash cough fire away.

5. P. Moon

P. Moon Member

All Texas schools have problems attracting minorities. Texas is lucky, because right now they are a little better than A&M in terms of undergraduate academics, hence, a lot more Asians apply there. Here's how the Princeton Review breaks down the Texas schools:

UT (83, 86), A&M (81,89), Rice (96,86), UH (74,78), Tech (75,84), Baylor (73, 74)

The first number is academic rating and the second is quality of life. As you can see Rice is the best school and they are only 54% white. Rice also has a large Asian percentage.

Oh, and for you OU folks:

OU (73, 75) :D

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow...my alma mater's academic rating is lower than UH's and Tech's? interesting study.

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Sorry, an Engineering major here and I thought this was a casual conversation. Besides, never took a day of English at UT, AP test all the way and grammer was never my favorite thing in th world. Btw, what's wrong with usng have? Isn't it present tense?

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Sorry, an Engineering major here and I thought this was a casual conversation. Besides, never took a day of English at UT, AP test all the way and grammer was never my favorite thing in th world. Btw, what's wrong with usng have? Isn't it present tense? Though reading it carefully, I would've said have A better academic reputation.

10. Smokey

No, you're right DCkid. I'm just messing with the Asians at A&M. I just moved 2% of them into the White category.

I don't think more Asians go to UT cause of academic reputation. UT and A&M are very similar universities. I think more Asians go to UT cause of environment. A small hicktown vs. a large metropolis. If you're not used to the country environment, you're not gonna last at A&M.

11. Smokey

One more thing, the only way to increase the number of Asians at A&M is to give them minority scholarships. All else equal, Asians will lean UT.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Ding, ding, ding. That was the clincher for me. Academically, there isn't a huge difference for me. But, Austin and UT was laid back and had that "I don't give a crap if you're Asian or polka dot" attitude. A&M was basically a bunch of white guys with really short hair.

BTW, I'm not sure if Asians get "minority" scholarships.

13. underoverup

underoverup Member

My goodness after rereading my posts I now see how hate filled I am, I thank-you from the bottom of my heart for helping me to see the light. That "catfish noodling" remark was way out of line as was the Aggie "knucklehead" cloning program and I apologize. :)

14. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Turns out, I decided not to attend grad school this year, so I'm actually not an OU guy after all.

By the way, I can't believe the Texas Tech quality of life is so high. Having gone there and attended Texas Tech (and having lived most of my life in the very-similar Amarillo), I found the quality of life to be less-than-stellar. I wonder how that stat is measured.

And I guess there are people who just like the dry, flat, dusty towns.

15. P. Moon

P. Moon Member

For the most part this is still true, but not to the same extent as it was, say, 20 years ago. Twenty years ago I think the A&M student body would have rioted if they put a Starbucks on Texas Ave., or if the frat/sorority population was 10% of the student body.

I also don't think Austin or UT are as "trend-setting" and "cool" as back in the 70s and 80s. Austin has grown up a lot since then and many think it has lost some of it's original flair. (or at least that's what my relatives who went there in the 70s and 80s say :))

Both student bodies get closer to the same every year. Yes they are still very different, and attitudes about them are still prevalent, but they are very slowly changing. Honestly, most of the folks who were traditional "Aggies" can't get into the school anymore and go places like Texas Tech, or maybe OSU.

However, A&M is still a very white school, but it's a little different than before. Now it is suburban Houston white, not Longview white.

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Wasn't around in the 70s or 80s, but I thought Austin was the it place in the 90s. I see UT stuff when I travel around the country. UT is a popular school on a national scope.

17. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

I didn't say you were hate filled. I said you started the thread to cause a fight, and you did, and you are still doing it. You don't have to admit it, it is obvious.