1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JIm Rome's thoughts on Texas A&M University

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by underoverup, Aug 20, 2003.

1. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

We've done both. We haven't, however, managed to land our starting quarterback on the cover of Sports Illustrated, wearing handcuffs and an orange prison jumper.

We also aren't a second-tier university, which was more to the point of my remark.

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Something to shoot for in the future.

3. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

here's a word association for those testing any time soon:

Austin is to Hollywood

as

College Station is to __________

the answer is

Peckerwood

------------------------

College Station and Bryan are redneck Central. If you head there, it's to go back in time. Austin is a trip into the future, College Station a trip into the past.

#43 Friendly Fan, Aug 21, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2003
  4. Friendly Fan

aggies make great employees of UT grads, particularly at staff officers or lower levels. they make great engineers.

you don't want them in a job that requires imagination or writing ability, however

5. mrpaige

I've often felt that going to Austin was stepping back into the 1960s, at least many Austinites smell like dirty hippies, anyway, though I admit it might be a whole grunge thing from the early-90s, as well.

Either way, it's a little too Bohemian for my tastes. Not enough bleached blonde, fake-boobied heroin addicts for me.

6. Friendly Fan

The cutting edge of music and social movements in this part of the world are found in Austin.

College Station leads the nation in after-acquired big shiny truck bumpers.

7. Friendly Fan

they do have some, but they are less offensive than the yeasty smell of thoroughly used Maggies waifing through the air of Aggieland

8. mrpaige

I don't know. There was, for some weird reason, a pretty hoppin' music scene in Dallas for a spell. How in the world that happened, I'll never know.

And, we killed a President. So, we've got that going for us.

And Houston has certainly been providing some of the more Rap and R&B sounds of the region in recent years. Some would consider that to be fairly cutting edge.

I don't know how big that type of scene is in Austin.

But Austin is a fine city, I could never live there for an extended period of time (and thanks to UT mishandling my application, I don't get to see how long I could last there) because it's just not my type of place. But that's just my preference. I know a whole lot of people love it there (and I'll bet a whole lot of those people would hate it here in Plano). And I don't mind visiting from time to time.

I've never been to College Station, and I don't suppose I'll ever go unless they're giving me some sort of honorary degree or dedicating my presidential library (What? Oh, Some other president beat me to the TAMU site) or something like that. From what I've heard, it doesn't much sound like my type of place, either.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I can think of a band from Dallas and one from Houston that I like above all Austin bands, currently.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Heh, how did Jim Rome know all the A&M supporters were from East Texas?

You grow up in Beaumont and all you see is A&M stickers as far as the eye can see. Weird.

Me personally, I don't really like either school. I went to UT for a short spell, while virtually all of my friends went to A&M. Austin is a nice place to visit, but I doubt I'd ever want to live there. People there, especially UT students, seem to have this "we're the nexus of the known universe" idea stuck in their brains, and it makes a lot of really cool people turn into complete pricks. College Station is, well, just read anything else posted in this thread about it and you'll get the idea. A&M students to me are friendlier, but some indeed fit the ignorant, racist stereotype. It's kind of a trade off, ignorant friendly people, or vain but relatively enlightened people? Pick your poison.

I attend UH now, and it fits me like a glove. People here are more well adjusted. They're not ate up with the dumbass about college, these people live real lives and I get to be participate in the college process as much or little as I want. One thing I wish someone would have told me before I left UT is that if you don't go to UT/A&M, then basically everyone will treat you like sh*t. It seems like college is hereditary in Texas, I wasn't raised in a house with any allegiances, so I wasn't forced to attend any school at the barrel of a gun loaded with threats about not being given any money for tuition.

I actually hate Jim Rome. I find him annoying and dangerously brash, but this little spiel, however old it may be, was kind of accurate.

11. underoverup

underoverup Member

I wonder why UT didn't work out for you? :confused: :p

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Which explains why you stay around Dallas! :p;)

I'm with Apollo on this one. I dont understand why people who go to thse schools keep the rivalries going for the rest of their lives.
    I've heard 50 yr old men get into arguments about which college sucks the worst and I was like...geeze people, get over it...what college you went to shouldn't be an obsession for the rest of your life!

same goes for frats...

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I remember one of the turning points of my decision was when UT played at UH in the 2001 season. This was the only game I went to as a student.

I was literally ashamed to be wearing burnt orange that night.

From where I parked I remember a group of UT students walking around the dormatories harrassing people. Littering and vandalizing stuff.

At the stadium, students and alumni were cursing and making obscene gestures.

I remember this old couple in red blazers were walking beside the bleachers and some students threw their beers at them.

And then after the game, grown men were picking fights with students in red. They were probably drunk, but jesus christ, you're supposed to be representing your university and most importantly, yourself.

14. Friendly Fan

never said I liked them. said they are cutting edge. :)

I think it is that, the movie business, 6th street, the lege and UT that make people go to Austin because it's Austin. Barton Pool, town lake, Hippie Hollow, Lake Austin, and Hamilton Pool, too.

you're from there, right?

15. Friendly Fan

rivalries have a role, and it's not really so much about carrying it on as carrying it on for old times sake.

we have Aggies and Longhorns in my family, and we carry the rivalry, but only slightly, more for old times sake. It's like the military. Guys in the Marines are always going to rag on guys in the Navy, and Navy and Army rag on each other.

the UT and Aggie rivalry has other elements, however. where you choose to go is largely a function of who you are to begin with, so Austin is a liberal magnet, and A&M is a conservative magnet.

16. JamesC

JamesC Member

I dont get it. Did I miss something here?

17. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

who cares. waste of time. story over. move on.

18. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Would all you guys quit bickering about your damn schools already?!? Haven't you figured out yet that

COLLEGE IS FOR LOSERS!!!!

Trade school is where the real action's at. I even learnt how to end my sentences in prepositions while getting my degree in bed pan cleaning.

UT's gay. A&M blows. OU is in a b****ass state anyways, so it don't count. The University of Phoenix Online is where it's goin' down nowadays.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Wow. Seriously a lot of stuff going on in this thread. Just wow.

20. Friendly Fan

over 90% of their graduates have jobs within 6 months of graduation

of course, they all involve wearing a hair net and name tag