1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Rome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, May 13, 2004.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

One of my business partners said that Lance & John were going off on Rome yesterday...something about him speaking at Pat Tillman's funeral...and referencing himself and his show 47 times. Anyone know anything about this?

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Haven't heard a thing, but if it's true, it's disgusting.

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

ESPN's Rome: Tillman eulogy 'greatest honor of my life'
    Luminaries were not lacking among those who eulogized former NFL star and Army Ranger Pat Tillman in memorial services Monday.

Viewers of ESPN and other outlets saw Sen. John McCain of Arizona, California first lady Maria Shriver and Chief Petty Officer Stephen White, a Navy SEAL who said Tillman died trying to save fellow members of his regiment. And the moderator was ESPN's Jim Rome.

How did the host of a national radio talk show and ESPN's Rome is Burning take center stage in the televised ceremonies for Tillman, whose death touched an entire country?

When Rome told ESPN executive vice-president Mark Shapiro he would be giving one of the Tillman eulogies, Shapiro "decided to inquire whether we could televise it as a service to the fans who would appreciate hearing from the friends of the man who made such a great commitment to his country. It had nothing to do with Jim."

Rome, whose radio show is carried on 200 stations, had an association with Tillman since 1996 when the then-Arizona State player was a guest on his show.

"I remember Pat was not a typical college guy," Rome said. "He was really quick and smart, not at all intimidated. I have this track record of discussing Pat. I think the family recognized that."

Rome devoted shows to Tillman when he left the Arizona Cardinals and a $3.6 million contract to join the Rangers and on the day his death was announced.

Simeon Rice, who played with Tillman, was a guest on Rome's show a few months ago.

"I said Pat was a great player and what did he think of the decision to leave all that money on the table and enlist," Rome said. "Simeon said, 'He wasn't a great player.' Then I took up for Pat."

Alex Garwood, Tillman's brother-in-law, asked Rome to be one of the speakers.

"It was the greatest honor of my life," said Rome. "The point I tried to make is that you often hear athletes are heroes and warriors. But they are neither. Pat Tillman is a hero, was a warrior."

4. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, it's true, not sure of the exact number of references. It was in Barron's column in the chron.

5. Buck Turgidson

"Speaking of former FSN personalities, Keith Olbermann reported this wince-inducing fact on his MSNBC show Countdown with Keith Olbermann: In his 15-minute "tribute" to Pat Tillman at Tillman's memorial service, Jim Rome included 79 references to himself and his radio show. By Olbermann's calculations, that's one self-reference every 11.5 seconds. ..."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/barron/2560195

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I was at home for lunch when it was on, and I did find it very distasteful. Rome kept using the word a$$, and pronouncing it in that same way that he does on the radio. He kept calling Pat an a$$ kicker. He did reference "the jungle" numerous times when I was listening and also referenced 'tour stops'. To me he could not have selected a worse venue for self promotion. The spirit of his eulogy was just over the top. It was intended to be comedic in spots and all of it sounded like he was talking to his 'clones' in that rambo voice of his. To me that is just inappropriate when you've got a somber crowd and tearful family members. It was like Rome stole the mic and was doing standup for a while. Completely out of place.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Was it delivered impromptu? If so, that could explain his use of "ass" and "The Jungle".

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Unless the Tillmans have a problem with it, I don't.

9. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Did you see the eulogy? If so, please describe what you saw. Thanks.

10. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I agree, I remember when he came on when he was with Arizona State, he was very entertaining, good guy.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No, I did not see it. But I don't feel it's my place to say something's inappropriate in a situation like this unless it was my family member or friend that died. Until I hear a Tillman family member or close friend denounce Rome's actions, I won't say it was out of line.

12. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Thanks.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What's your point? You know better than the Tillman family as to whether or not their own slain family members' funeral is distasteful?

CASKET CLOSED

14. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

No, it was definitely scripted. When I first saw it, I was thinking, "Is this for real?" I'm surprise it took this long before people started taking notice of it. Kudos to John & Lance for speaking out against something that was so blatantly out of place and selfish. Anyone who saw the eulogy can appreciate where they are coming from.

And Rocketman95, why give an opinion on something that you are unfamiliar with? You are simply arguing for the sake of arguing. Now you are trying to make jokes about Pat Tillman's death? That is wrong.

15. drapg

drapg Member

Can't we all just agree that Jim Rome is an ass and be done with it?

Even before this event, he was nothing more than an ass.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Because I don't feel it's my place to criticize something so personal as someone's funeral. I'm not that arrogant. post reported to moderator in 3, 2, 1,...

17. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Jesus, you two need a ****ing timeout. Get a room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.