1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jim Rome] Interview with Mourning?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nice Rollin, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I jumped in my car around noon today, and it was on 610. Usually I dont listen to Jim Rome because he's more annoying than Stephen A, but I heard him talking about his interview with Alonzo Mourning and how apparently it went completely wrong....

Anyone know what happened or hear this?

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Jim invited Mourning on to talk about a specific cause related to his kidney disease. Obviously Jim expected him to answer a question or two related to his own playing career before moving onto the cause. That's pretty much standard in any interview. Zo had a couple of long pauses, said he was here to talk about the cause and not himself. Jim asked him twice and both times Zo starting talking about the cause. Jim deserves credit though, he finished the interview like that exchange never took place.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as his interview with Shawn Marion about 8 years ago.

4. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

*sniff* *snifffffff*

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

The best ever was the Jim...or is it Chris......Everett interview. :D

6. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

what happened with shawn marion?

7. count_dough-ku

It was shortly after he was drafted by the Suns. Rome asked him questions about waiting a little longer to declare for the draft, the prospect of playing with Jason Kidd(he was with Phoenix at the time), etc. All Marion said in response was "yeah", "most definitely", and the aforementioned sniffling. Definitely one of the weakest interviews I've ever heard on his show. It was so bad that Rome started ripping him the moment it was over.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I heard the interview. Rome was real patient. Zo sounded like a complete a$$ and it was obvious he didn't want to do the interview. Rome asked him about coming back from his injury and prefaced it by saying they would talk about his "cause" shortly. Zo said he wasn't there to talk about basketball and proceeded to rant statistics and incomplete sentences about kidney disease. Rome asked him again about coming back. Once again, telling Zo they would get to his "cause." Zo repeated that he wasn't going to talk basketball and ranted some more incoherent stuff about kidneys. Rome followed with a few kidney related questions and politely ended the interview.

I thought Rome might let him slide completely but followed up after the break by reading 8 or so emails from clones bashing Zo. He then repeated a few times that Zo's cause was very important but it is a nonspoken agreement that when you do a sports radio show you answer some sports related questions.

Zo probably just lost himself some fans and by default lost a few ears to listen to his cause. It was a no class and stupid move by Zo to pull that nonsense.

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I haven't heard the interview, but based on your account it sounds like Zo was trying way to hard to act like a noble philanthropist in a vacuum. The truth is Zo's fame from basketball is what allows him to have a public platform...and it doesn't detract from the message just by speaking about his past for a minute. He's on a freaking sports show, like you said. Even if he was on Larry King or Oprah they're going to ask a few basketball related questions.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What got me more than him not wanting to answer basketball questions was the fact that he was monotone, sounded like he had just woken up and was making it obvious he didn't want to be there. I could maybe understand Zo deflecting basketball questions because he was so pumped to have a huge venue to talk about kidney disease but even when he was talking about the disease he sounded pissed off.

He sounded more like a guy forced into doing community service than someone who was appreciative and energized to have the ability to reach so many people through Rome's show.

11. inler

inler Contributing Member

i liked how at the end of the show rome thanked all his guests and conveniently didn't mention alonzo

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Jim Rome is a punk. After the crap he pulled on Jim Everett, if I was an athlete I would never go on his show.

13. yobod

yobod Member

As sad as Alonzo Mourning's kidney disease is, and as glad as I am for him to be doing well now, he always gave off the air of a jerk. And also, I've always kinda suspected him of doing 'roids. I mean, just look at him in Charlotte, and look at him now. Larger head and everything.

14. conquistador#11

how about the anna kournikova interview?

15. count_dough-ku

Was that on his radio or TV show?

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I never considered that before ... but you're right. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

17. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Wow, a meeting of the asshats. I hope several historians were there to document this momentous occasion.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

never considered roids and Zo. wonder if that can affect your kidneys?

19. conquistador#11

It was on the tv show.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: