1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Harbaugh to Michigan

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Dec 28, 2014.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Confirmed: Harbaugh to Michigan! Press Conference Tues in Ann Arbor</p>&mdash; Dave Feldman (@FeldyCSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/FeldyCSN/status/549085645579100160">December 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Was most likely to happen, now it has.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I just got off the phone with more sources tonight. It's done. Jim Harbaugh is coming to Michigan - and his friends are flying in Monday.</p>&mdash; John U. Bacon (@Johnubacon) <a href="https://twitter.com/Johnubacon/status/549045622855458816">December 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I just looked Harbaugh in his eyes and thanked him for leading us to some of the best times of our lives. Give Respect when it's Due.</p>&mdash; Bam Davis (@AnthonyDavis76) <a href="https://twitter.com/AnthonyDavis76/status/549077029237190656">December 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

now we get to see if Harbuagh really as good as he thinks he is

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I hope he revitalize Michigan. I like it when the big powerhouse schools are good.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He turned around two organizations stuck in mediocrity in Stanford and San Francisco.... now he gets a chance to do it again at a school with far more resources than he had at Stanford. Chances are, he knows what he is doing.... just doesn't stick around any place for long due to his personality.

The real question to ask is if/when he succeeds there, when will he get the itch to go back to the NFL?

#5 Nick, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is there a delay in him just announcing this?

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Bc his performances at Stanford and SF weren't proof enough for you? :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

Probably was hoping to not create a distraction for today's game.

9. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

San Diego 7-4
    San Diego 11-1
    San Diego 11-1
    Stanford 4-8
    Stanford 5-7
    Stanford 8-5
    Stanford 12-1
    49ers 13-3
    49ers 11-4
    49ers 12-4
    49ers 7-8 (With a game to go)

He's proven he can revive a program. This year is marred by him and the front office not being on the same page with one another. Him probably wanting more power, and Balke saying that all this success is because of him. Any program he would go to would be gaining a huge asset and should suspect a subsequent turn around after some building years.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I'll miss him tbh. Sucks to see how it had to end. He'll probably take Roman with him. Hoping Baalke can hire somebody good, that team is stacked with talent.

11. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Who's going to coach the 49er's?

Sumlin, come on down!

12. conquistador#11

what's so bad about his personality? he used to be in jim rome's smackoff and quotes war movies. the 49ers organization needed to get over themselves. harbaugh took what they had and made them a contender, more excitement since the mid 1990s. I hope san francisco goes back to what they've been all throughout the 2000s. coaching, in the nfl, more than any other sport matters.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he took the 49ers to the superbowl an 3 straight NFC title games, before that they really sucked. he should be able to turn Michigan around easily, they have tons of money and Harbaugh can recruit. he got Andrew Luck right?

14. BleedRocketsRed

By the time Harbaugh took over, the 9ers had drafted insanely well and that team was STACKED (strong o-line, great running game, lots of great players on defense including two elite-level linebackers both of which hurt this year, probably the best roster in the NFL as a whole).

Harbaugh did turn Alex Smith around but it was less about his coaching and more about how talented the team is. This year, his offense was atrocious and the injuries on defense were too much to overcome.

I trust the organization to make the right decisions and remain competitive going forward.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Kubes to 49ers.

I can see Kaep run the boot and actually keep it instead of being a statue like kubes other two quarterbacks.

16. Major

Major Member

All that talent was 6-10 the year before Harbaugh took over.

17. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Looks like Michigan's gamble is going to pay off. Had Harbaugh decided to stay in the NFL, I'm not sure where they would have turned next.

He'll get them turned around, and soon. Despite a few down years, Michigan has continued to recruit fairly well (although it has dropped off a bit) and there is some talent on their current roster with which to work.

It will be nice for those late-season Michigan/Ohio State games to have national significance again and having Harbaugh as Urban Meyer's coaching foil should be a lot of fun as well.

I will be interested to see what he decides to do four or five years down the road when he has Michigan humming along and some NFL team comes calling with a truckload of cash or even a pot-sweetener like hybrid coach/GM role. Those types of offers are going to come and he doesn't strike me as someone who is going to spend the next 20 years in Ann Arbor.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I could see him keeping it because he can't sort through his reads like his other qb's.

19. BleedRocketsRed

Part of it was the timing. Harbaugh's first year was 2011.

That 2010 draft was absolutely incredible getting Navarro Bowman, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati. Drafted Aldon Smith in 2011 who was among the league sack leaders from day one.

Hire a good coach to succeed Harbaugh and this team will remain highly competitive. Roster is still very strong, getting healthy and adding a top 15 pick in this upcoming draft (with a GM who has proven he can draft).

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You should also factor in that Singletary was a terrible head coach. Still though, I agree that Harbaugh is a strong leader of men, turned around Alex Smith's career, and probably going to do great things at Michigan given his status and style (in addition to the football stuff). He seems more suited to excel at the college game (even though he did just fine in the NFL).