1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Gray on Sportscenter now!! Confirms trade!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, Jun 21, 2004.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I wonder if somebody will send Charlotte a pick to bribe them to kill the deal and get a shot at McGrady?:confused:

2. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I'm not so disappointed in getting Howard (apparently I'm the only one). He could play a little bit of backup 5 and he is an upgrade over anything else we have at the 4. MoT may do some things better, but Howard has more tools to work with. We lose a little defense but get someone who can board a little and shoot the 12 footer. The contract is not great but he does fill a need.

3. AGBee

AGBee Member

Would a draft pick be worth taking a nearly untradeable cap-crippling player?

No, the problem becomes the Rockets figuring out how to move MoT, Spoon, or Howard.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Didn't Charlotte get a pick in the Ollie/Pike deal...?

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The Truth Is Out There...

6. Got Em

Got Em Member

Why don't you go look at what you wrote in your first post in this thread and look at what I said. I don't feel like arguing with you for something so damn trivial. Dude, don't get mad over some stupid little thread. You can just tell me what's on your mind, but you don't have to be a smart ass about it. Grow up.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If Charlotte is crazy enough to select him, I guess some team might be crazy enough to try something that sneaky. Howard doesn't excite me, but we could live with him, I guess. I don't blame Orlando for wanting him in a deal.

8. shady1

shady1 Contributing Member

I dont think this will be a problem. McGrady knows Yao is the man here and he said he wanted to play for us, which obviously means playing WITH and not just alongside Yao, esp with JVG at the reigns. Howard is overpaid, but a solid player, I think a lot of ppl underestimate what he can offer much in the same way a lot of ppl did Jim Jackson last offseason. Hopefully this deal will get done and Howard will be another "told ya so" I can dig in at my friends about. The only thing I don't like about the trade is getting rid of Cuttino, who I prefer over Francis, but this is better for Cuttino's career and if it goes down I wish him the best of luck. Francis I could care less about, I'll be glad he is gone, maybe we can find ourselves a true PG over the next couple seasons.

9. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

You don't have to be a smart ass about it. Grow up?

Get it right.

Haha what do you not understand?

Here's what I wrote!
    He DID NOT confirm the deal was done! He said it was going to get done! BIG DIFFERENCE![/b}

10. Got Em

Got Em Member

You forgot this one:

This is so damn stupid. I'm gonna shut up for now...really don't feel like going back and forth with this bull****. You win.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

OK! TRUCE! :D

12. sup123

sup123 Member

watched espn again and they said steve dont want to play in orlando? does this screw everything up?

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No. Steve is locked up with a fat contract that does not expire for a lot of years. Steve will play where he is traded or he will not get his money. Orlando can trade him if they want or keep him.

14. Htown4life

Htown4life Contributing Member

not for houston hopefully. Francis could be trade bait and with Shaq wanting orlando, it could defintely help their cause, though unlikely. If Francis will want out, he has all summer to be traded and he is a superstar who draws ticket sells, especially if he goes east coast...so it seems near dine, lets just hope another team doesn't up their anti.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't know if you guys are showing enough concern over this... If Francis threatens to sit out if he isn't traded from the Magic, that will probably make Weisbrod think twice about pulling off this deal.

My suggestion is to involve the Clippers. Send Francis to LA, who send Maggette, Wilcox and the #4 pick to Orlando... If this were to go down, I'd love to see the #1 overall come the Rockets' way, but I'm a realist.

16. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

ESPN.com news reports
    ESPN's Jim Gray reports that the Rockets and Magic have finalized a deal to send Tracy McGrady to Houston -- provided none of the other principal names in the multi-player trade are selected in Tuesday's expansion draft.

The trade also includes Juwan Howard to Houston, while Orlando will get Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato in return. Of those five players, McGrady and Francis are protected and cannot be drafted by the Bobcats. If Charlotte passes on Howard, Mobley and Cato, then the deal is done, Gray reports.

To make the trade work financially under the salary-cap rules, it's believed the Magic also will send Tyronn Lue and Andrew DeClercq to Houston.

Gray also reports that Francis, who has a $75 million contract, has told the Rockets that he does not want to be traded to Orlando. The Magic had the NBA's worst record last season while the Rockets made the playoffs. But Gray reports that Francis has no veto power and that the deal does not hinge on his approval.

In the expansion draft (Tuesday, 7 ET), the Bobcats will select 14 players from existing NBA rosters. Few of those players are expected to wind up on Charlotte's opening-night roster. Charlotte could make several side deals with teams to avoid drafting specific players.

McGrady can opt out of his seven-year, $93 million contract after next season, and has said he will exercise that option unless Orlando improves dramatically from the 21-61 record this past season. But the Magic have vowed to trade him, rather than letting the four-time All Star leave without any compensation -- like Shaquille O'Neal did eight years ago when he signed with the Lakers as a free agent..

Since McGrady's declaration, trade rumors involving the NBA's leading scorer have been flying, although the Magic have denied that any trades are on the horizon.

In fact, Orlando general manager John Weisbrod said Saturday that the club is still in contract discussions with McGrady.

"I certainly will not confirm that T-Mac is going to be traded," Weisbrod said. "I'm going to continue to say on T-Mac what I have said for the last month, which is that Arn (Tellem, McGrady's agent) and I are in discussions."

McGrady told the Orlando Sentinel on Saturday that he could not discuss the situation "until it's official . . . after the draft."

Added McGrady: "I can't let my tricks out of the bag. I don't have any comment."

17. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

18. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

Yao
    Howard/Spoon/MoTayor/Padget
    TMac/Boki/Griffin
    JJ/(Pike)
    Free Agent/(Ollile)/Wilks

If we do this trade... when we do this trade... we will be thin at the point/back up sg/and center position.

Looking at that team on paper... it doesn't really get me too excited.

19. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Two points

1.) Why would Mobley be availble for the expansion draft?

2.) I like the Lue, DeClercq return. The rockets really aren't losing depth at all now

20. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

We left Mobley unprotected?

That can't be accurate, can it?

Oh, and there go everyone's complaints about depth. Sure Declerq's no Cato, but at least he's a servicable backup. Ditto for Lue.