1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jesse Jackson Likens Cavs Owner to a Slave Owner and Lebron to a Runaway Slave

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jul 12, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've bee really sick of the whole Lebron circus so I have been avoiding the threads on them so I apologize if this has been posted already in another thread but thought this probably belonged in the D & D.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/...ckson-responds-to-Dan-Gilbert-comments-071110

Rev. Jesse L. Jackson Sr. Reacts to Dan Gilbert’s Open Letter

CHICAGO (July 11, 2010)—“Mr. Dan Gilbert's accusations, expressed in an open letter to LeBron James after his announcement that he will play next year’s NBA season for the Miami Heat, have legal and social implications for the league, its union and the character of LeBron James. By saying that he has gotten a free pass and that people have covered for him way too long, Gilbert suggests that LeBron has done something illegal or illicit.

He speaks as an owner of LeBron and not the owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers. His feelings of betrayal personify a slave master mentality. He sees LeBron as a runaway slave. This is an owner employee relationship--between business partners--and LeBron honored his contract.

He must know the Curt Flood suit, which changed plantation rules and created free agency; and the Spencer Haywood suit that changed eligibility rules.

If he believes that LeBron quit in games 2, 4, 5 and 6 of the 2010 Eastern Conference semifinals, then, why did he fire the coach? If he believes that LeBron intentionally quit, determining the outcome of those games, why did he pursue him and offer him and additional $120 million to stay in Cleveland?

These accusations endanger LeBron. His jersey is being burned in effigy, and he is being projected as a betrayer by the owner.

When players or coaches speak disrespectfully to or about referees, they are fined. If Mr. Gilbert cannot prove that LeBron changed games by quitting, he defames his character. He should have to face a challenge by the NBA and the players association. LeBron has every right to an apology.

Other players cannot just watch this as if it is LeBron’s personal problem. This is an attack upon players in general.

LeBron is not a child, nor is he bound to play on Gilbert’s plantation and be demeaned. He has been a model citizen and has inspired the children of Akron, Cleveland, the State of Ohio and the United States.

He has conducted camps for children, helped to win a gold medal for our nation and his public deportment has been excellent.

Mr. Gilbert's statement is mean, arrogant and presumptuous.

I hope that LeBron will speak up and speak out clearly and forcefully.”

2. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Here's Jason Whitlock's commentary on the Jackson's letter. In general I agree with Whitlock here as it strikes me as a ridiculous comparison. That said though the analogy to slavery between black professional athletes and white owners has been brought up before and am wondering though if anyone does feel there is a racial component to this whole situation.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Jesse-Jackson-LeBron-James-Dan-Gilbert-slavery-comparison-071210

Jackson way off base on LeBron

I could pretend Jesse Jackson speaks for such a tiny minority that his inflammatory, predictable and misguided remarks about LeBron James and Dan Gilbert are unworthy of rebuke.

But then, I’d have to ignore the mountain of e-mails that poured into my laptop from African-American brothers and sisters making the same argument.

Jesse has a constituency, a passionate group of idiots who believe the best way to combat white-wing political bigots such as Limbaugh and Hannity is with black-wing political bigotry.

And so, in defense of LeBron’s narcissistic ego explosion and Gilbert’s emotional reaction to it, Jesse compared Gilbert to an 18th-century slave owner.

“His feelings of betrayal personify a slave master mentality,” Jackson said in a statement released Sunday. “(Gilbert) sees LeBron as a runaway slave.”

Yes, this is an attention grab by Rev. Jackson. He heard about ESPN’s impressive ratings for “The Decision” and, like a mafia don, wants to wet his beak. Why let Jim Gray and ESPN executives have all the fun exploiting LeBron’s naivete?

There’s enough of LeBron’s carcass for Jesse to feast, too. And Gilbert’s childish letter to Cavaliers fans in the wake of LeBron’s departure gave Jackson the opening he needed to break out his knives and forks.

“(Gilbert’s) accusations endanger LeBron,” Jackson wrote. “His jersey is being burned in effigy, and he is being projected as a betrayer by the owner. ... LeBron is not a child, nor is he bound to play on Gilbert’s plantation and be demeaned.”

Yep, it’s the card. LeBron James and his kiddie handlers screwed up, staging an image-damaging public-relations disaster, and now some African-Americans want to change the subject by changing the argument.

NBA owners and their $100-million contracts are slave owners and King James is Kunta Kinte escaping on the Underground Railroad to Miami’s Tootsie’s Cabaret, where he’ll make it rain.

It’s stupid. Dan Gilbert’s rant was certainly immature, but it wasn’t remotely racist. He sounded like a scorned lover, a guy who gave his heart to a relationship and found out on national TV that the alleged love of his life didn’t care about him at all.

Gilbert vented. I give James credit for not responding.

Jackson and other African-Americans need to follow LeBron’s lead. We look foolish. We look hypocritical. We come across like people who have little genuine interest in seeing racial prejudice disappear and more like people who just want it to swing in our favor.

Rather than deal with the callous and classless way James departed his home state, some of us are trying to make this about race. It’s not.

No rational person begrudges James for joining Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Pat Riley and the Miami Heat. Sports fans — and owners — have grown used to star players switching teams.

People were stunned and turned off by the hey-look-at-me circus James conducted on his way out of Cleveland. It was unnecessary and easy to avoid. It was cruel to all the young and old fans who supported him.

Beyond that, it was bad business. James damaged his brand. He made himself polarizing for no good reason. A man of his wealth would pay $2.5 million to avoid the kind of bad publicity that has engulfed James in the aftermath of "The Decision."

You can argue James has the right to destroy his image. Man has the right to smoke cigarettes, too. It’s still stupid. And nonsmokers have the right to point out the stupidity of smoking.

You can’t defend LeBron’s lapse in judgment by claiming his critics are racist. You’re crippling James, baiting him to make more mistakes.

There was nothing honorable or smart about the way he orchestrated his exit.

From all reports, James knew months ago he was going to Miami with Wade and Bosh. His interviews were a farce. He invited white billionaires to grovel at his feet. And Jesse Jackson wants to call Gilbert a slave owner. Please.

Gilbert gave James and his entourage the keys to the franchise for seven years and tolerated all the indulgences of youth. He foolishly expected James and his posse to treat the Cavaliers with a modicum of respect.

It’s why you don’t spoil kids. They’ll take advantage and not express an ounce of appreciation.

Everyone who objectively watched the Boston-Cleveland playoffs series knows James quit on the Cavs, selling out his teammates and costing head coach Mike Brown his job.

Despite Brown’s African-American heritage, Jesse Jackson doesn’t care about Mike Brown. Jesse’s all good with LeBron’s betrayal of a black head coach because Mike Brown’s name doesn’t draw record TV ratings.

We’re a nation of jock-sniffers and hypocrites. It’s not surprising so many of us fall for the crap spewed by Jesse, Rush, Al, Hannity and all the rest.

E-mail Jason or follow him on Twitter. Media requests for Mr. Whitlock should be directed to Fox Sports PR.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not unless you're suggesting LeBron would have stayed in Cleveland had Gilbert been black.

and, last i checked, Pat Riley was still white.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't thinks so but I am curious to see if anyone agrees with Jackson's sentiment.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think Jackson jumped the shark a while ago, but his comments here were downright irresponsible. The owner's comments are a lot more about alcohol and money (his enormous financial loss) than any racist tendencies he might have.

I guess if someone really wants to play a race card here, they could bring up the nation-wide reaction to LeDiva's Power Hour on TV as a reaction to an "uppity" person of African descent. I guess?

I think there would be a similar reaction to a white guy hyping himself, but it's hard to run that experiment. I do remember how much people hated Brian Bosworth's self-promotion (which was nothing like LeBr-yawn,) and how much we all enjoyed cheering against his NFL career.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not quite on the same scale but Brett Favre's Hamlet act at the end of the last two seasons followed by his machinations to get onto the Vikes was similar.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the reaction that jackson is referring to (rightly or wrongly) is specific to the owner. not how the fans and media reacted, which you are comparing to Farve (apples and oranges)

I'm sure its not racial, but the owner's reaction was a lot more irresponsible than jackson's, lebron is still a resident of that city, and we've seen how midwesterners can react to their sports teams.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I don't know what more needs to be said.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I hate Whitlock for the exact quote you just posted. He tries to implicate all black people to make himself look good or whatever. I didn't see one person on this site defend Lebron's ridiculous tv special. and its really not that big of a deal in the black community.

jesse jackson makes some ridiculous statement

and idiots like whitlock and others says its sets black people back. it only sets black people back if that's want what you want to do

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If only I could rep Jason Whitlock.

11. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

When was the last time Jessie Jackson was relevant? When was the last time anyone cared what Whitlock said in his article? Both are ignorant ass clowns. Jessie uses his stupidity to bring media attention to himself........Whit uses it to keep his column on FoxSports alive.........

The sooner these jackasses.....with there RACE-BAITING BS leave this planet....the better....

Lebron sucks by the way......

12. rhadamanthus

Like it or not, jackson is a spokesman. A man of celebrity, if you will.

Whitlock's comparison was apt, and perfectly brilliant. He compared Jackson to Limbaugh and Hannity and Beck: white guys with big mouths and large audiences who set white guys back.

13. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I highly doubt anyone in D&D will agree with him on this one.

Btw, where was he when Elton Brand ditched the Clippers?

1 person likes this.
  14. rhadamanthus

Giddyup might.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I started that by changing the subject -- judoka was responding, and I think his Favre example was better than my example, in terms of media and fan backlash against a self-obsessed athlete.

Yes, Jackson was commenting on Dan Gilbert's tirade.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so do limbaugh and beck and palin set white people back. the comparison is ridiculous

17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Indeed.

[​IMG]

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

19. rhadamanthus

:confused: Ummm yes. That's what I said.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

they sure as hell do.