1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jerusalem Post: 'Bush intends to attack Iran before the end of his term'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, May 20, 2008.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I make no claims about the credibility of the Jerusalem Post.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1210668683139&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Sadly, this would not surprise me.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hard to argue with that assessment. there's a fair amount of independent reporting that suggests the US fleet is deploying such that an attack could be launched.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I have heard rumblings of this before.

If Bush attacks Iran without the support of the American people or consent of congress he should be convicted of war crimes and, at the very least, spend the rest of his life at Gitmo.

5. weslinder

^^^

The same people who told us that Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction are now telling us that Iran has no nuclear weapons program. I'd say that they've earned the credibility on these matters.

Besides, a pre-emptive attack to prevent a country from building a weapon does not meet just war standards of either international law or Christian tradition.

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Truthiness for the win.

7. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

To supplement the rational anti-attack arguments above, I submit the following:

WHAT THE ****?!

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

As conservatives have been quick to point out during the 1990's and after, merely staging aerial assaults on foreign nations is the cowardly, ineffective way to do things (the Clinton method) - I believe it is perjoratively labeled as "lobbing a few cruise missiles" - and that "boots on the ground" is the only way to go. I trust this philosophy will remain true in Iran, and that an army of invasion is being massed as we speak.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I don't know about Gitmo, but he must be indicted for war crimes. Same with Cheney.

They will leave the US with a reputation just short of Nazi Germany, imperial Japan, Soviet Russia. It will take at least a generation to recover. If there is any justice it will take the GOP at least a generation to recover.

Maybe a quick spurt to $8 gallon gas will cause the American people to rethink and take back their government from these proto-fascists.

10. danny317

danny317 Member

i dont think we have enough troops for 3 wars.

do i smell a draft coming?

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

From briefing.com...a real time stock news service

09:35 "Bush intends to attack Iran before the end of his term" - Jerusalem Post

The Jerusalem Post reports that US President George W. Bush intends to attack Iran in the upcoming months, before the end of his term, Israeli Army Radio quoted a senior official in Jerusalem as saying Tuesday. The official claimed that a senior member of the president's entourage, which concluded a trip to Israel last week, said during a closed meeting that Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney were of the opinion that military action was called for. However, the official continued, "the hesitancy of Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice" was preventing the administration from deciding to launch such an attack on the Islamic Republic, for the time being. The report stated that according to assessments in Israel, recent turmoil in Lebanon, where Hizbullah de facto established control of the country, was advancing an American attack. (Briefing.com note: Stories such as this have been appearing in the press every few months whenever senior American officials visit the Middle East, and this seems like just more of the same, so it likely won't be market-moving.)

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Well if Bush don't do it, this guy will.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o-zoPgv_nYg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o-zoPgv_nYg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just curious mark, is there anything for which you would fight? the iranians are killing us troops at this very moment, they're developing nuclear weapons, and have vowed to wipe israel off the map. or do you consider these to be just some of Iran's legitimate grievances?

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he's fighting on the internet like you LOL

15. Cesar^Geronimo

only if McCain is elected

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

haha nice :D

also fwiw the white house just came out and refuted that report.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is a useless article. These pop up constantly out of the Middle East and have constantly proven to be baseless.

Anyway, there are legitimate reasons to consider war with Iran, but the stupid war we are fighting right now kind of limits us.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure "Mac is Back" has shot down the idea of a draft multiple times.

19. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I could see why some people would want this to happen. If we really need wars to keep the economy strong or prompt some kind of supernatural event, then we might be in trouble anyway.

Does anyone feel an Iran invasion would make us safer? What kind of solution are we going for not only militarily, but politically and culturally?

20. weslinder

One of the most commonly perpetuated myths is that wars are somehow good for the economy. When you take billions of dollars of capital and blow it up in another country, you've done no good for the economy. When you take hundreds of thousands of consumers out of the country and put them in Iraq or Iran (or Japan or Germany), you've hurt the US economy. War is good for war related industries, but at the cost of other industries.