1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jermaine's Pissed/May Demand Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rwienert, Aug 28, 2003.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Originally posted by Rudyball

If you felt like your boss fired the secretary you said you had to have to take the promotion he just gave you, tell me your going to "give him your all".

If I was given a huge guaranteed contract that I couldn't break for this position, then yeah, I would give it my all, regardless whether or not it was a game that I love to play.

Not sure Bird should have that much confidence in ONeil after he trashed his promise.

exactly when did Bird make this promise to Oneal? A month after Oneal had already signed?

Bird: "Jermaine, can I count on you to put all this behind us, give me 1,000,000 % effort this year to carry us to the playoffs?"

ONeil: "Sure thing. " (I'll give you everything you gave me, plus that knife after I can get it out of my back!)

This conversation would never happen. Bird would never puss out and politely ask someone if they are capable of doing what they are paid for. I don't think any gm would unless they were interviewing draftees or free agents with a history of problems.

2. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

mobley, cato, and rice. i believe that might interest the pacers. they need a center, rice comes off the books this summer, and mobley can play coming off the bench.

it could happen if there weren't like 10 other teams who can put together a better package.

However, its interesting to note that o'neal and k-mart don't seem that happy with their situations. once rice is gone and and our crappy contracts start disappearing... we might be able to put something together......or we can just lock up ming.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He can't be traded anyway until December.

Fuhgetaboutit...unless come December time, we're floating around .500, Jermaine is still unhappy, Griff is struggling, and you don't mind parting with Steve Francis.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If it is only December that is not too far out, but I thought because of BYC implications we would be talking like next summer at the earliest for a move like that.

Of course I am assuming Francis is involved. There is no way Oneal is traded unless a Francis caliber player is returned.

Francis + Indy's choice of (EG) or (Boki + #1) for Oneal and Tinsley--I'd probably do that.

If heaven forbod we didn't make the playoffs or did make the playoffs but didn't substantially improve overall because of back-court discipline even under JVG I'd really consider a deal like this.

5. xs28

xs28 Member

there is one thing i'm damn sure, nobody is bigger in indiana than bird, o'neil may b**** all he wants, he ain't going nowhere until bird says so. if bird is unhappy with o'neil's play during the season, bird can get a whole bunch for this guy (remember herschel walker? look what it did to dallas). actually, a big trade using o'neil may even help the pacers in the long run. the way the pacers are now (with o'neil) they're not even close to any of the top teams in the west.

6. SLA

SLA Member

Sign Stephen Jackson or Steve Smith.

Trade Cuttino Mobley, Eddie Griffin, and Kelvin Cato for Jermaine O'Neal and a 1st round draft pick or Jamaal Tinsley.

Mobley is like Carlisle's guy...Griffin and Harrington and Bender will be nice together along with Pollard and Cato. Miller's too old now...

Francis/Moochie
    Piatkowski/Jackson
    Jackson or Smith/AGriffin/Nachbar/Rice
    O'Neal/Taylor
    Yao/O'Neal

We could move Rice and/or Taylor as well. I think this team would be able to be maybe the 4th or 5th seed.

I know I am dreaming...but it's better than being 7th or 8th.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If my job is on a competitive feild where I am face to face with someone that I don't ever want to loose to then yes I will give my all. Jermain will never want to be beaten by Duncan, Garnet, Brand or any power forward in the league regardless of what he thinks of Indy or Bird.

8. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

OK crash,

Tell me you don't remember the hakeem debacle with Steve Patterson. Patterson trashed hakeem's name before he was to sign that big extension. Hakeem was going to leave over it. I bet that had that happened after he signed the deal he would have demanded a trade to another team. Honor was a big deal to hakeem.

Whether it is as big a deal to ONeil we will find out soon, I guess.

In the end do i think he will bail out of Indy, NO. But do I think he could, YES. He is still young, idealistic, and he can still sign another huge deal in 7 years. He is playing for a championship and ego now, he's got his money.

If he isn't entrhalled with Carlisle if he comes, then I say it is over for him in Indy. Very similar to the change over from Cotton Fitz. to Danny Ainge in phoenix. Horry ended up throwing a towel in Ainge's face during a game ( I personally took pleasure in that). It may not be right away, but resentment can brew over time to blow the lid off the pot one day.

9. angelcds

angelcds Member

What basketball did you guys grow up watching???:confused: This is the same guy who threw bows at Zech and Magic all throughout his career??? Not to mention wouldn't even acknowlege his own daughter at Celtic and Pacer games, had the crying on Oprah for god sakes? And you wonder now why he didn't fire Thomas before Jemaine and Reggie signed their contracts for the season, and sent Brad Miller packing? He had all his ducks in a row, made sure he got the people he wanted to sign sign, then he stabbed Isiah in the back, hope he didn't get any blood on his suit.:eek:

10. angelcds

angelcds Member

JO'Neal will play, he'll play for himself and the team, eventually I think he and Rick might be able to get along, but Larry, FORGET ABOOUUUT IT, LOL;) J won't forget what he did to Zeke, he'll never trust him. I see him going somewhere at some point if he can muster a trade or a deal, maybe not this season, but at some point. He might be a Sixer before all is said and done, by 05's season's start, or Miami, will have room next year...

11. angelcds

angelcds Member

Well, you heard JVG 'no more excuses' for losing! Its about time!:) Unless Mobley starts passing like we know he can, like Eric Snow does for Iverson, he's gone next summer. And Piaksoki is your new starting guard with Steve. I doubt Yao is going anywhere, they invested too much in getting him here, Carroll and the Organization see the bright future of what Yao can do all around the game more than just scroring, he's the total package given time. He just needs unselfish pieces, Shaq has unshelfish pieces, even in Orlando he had that. Steve needs direction and then he Will flourish, but if not he's gone too.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

And that ends this discussion. There is no way Francis would be a part of any trade so the issue is moot. For a trade to occur, O'Neal would need to be dealt to someone with surplus players that Indiana could use - someone who would not need to trade their core players - someone like...Dallas.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

O'Neal isn't going anywhere. As it was already pointed out:

1. O'Neil can't be traded until December.
    2. O'Neil is a BYC player for the next year. In order for a team to acquire O'Neal, they'd have to have around $6.5M in cap space.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yes I remember the big Dream fiasco but not once can anyone say that Hakeem did not give 100% when he stepped on the court. Dream may have been pissed and he may taken a little longer to recover from minor injuries then was really neccesary but once he stepped on the court there was nothing less than his best effort.

Once again you absolutely can not compare Robert Horry to Jermain O'Neal. The stars of this league are treated much different than the easily replaced role players.

15. yaonotyo

yaonotyo Member

i did not think this diserved its own thread so i posted this here,i was reading chad fords questions and answeres, on espn and he said the pacers were looking to trade al harrington and ron artest , do you guys think we can get either one of those guys?:)

16. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

EHH.. Rice contract comes off next season... but nope we wont have that cap space... I really dont care for Jermaine though... I think Yao, Francis, and Cat are enough... Come on ppl have some faith... its a new season... Just let the season start... and by the trading deadline something is not working out then yall can start blabbing yall mouths again.. lets just wait

17. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

?????? :confused: ??????:eek: ??????????????:confused: ???????
    You have got to be kidding!