1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jermaine's Pissed/May Demand Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rwienert, Aug 28, 2003.

1. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I just read on ESPN that Jermaine O'Neal is extremely upset about the firing of Isaih and has said that he is unsure of his future with the Pacers. If he demands a trade, the Pacers would likely have to part with him for less than they want to. Anyone think a package of EG, Cato, and Rice could get it done?

The Pacers would pick up a young PF with similar potential to Jermaine's, a legit center which they need after losing Brad Miller, and Rice comes off the books at the end of the year, so they can find some cap room as well.

The Rockets gain Jermaine O'Neal. No explanation necessary.

I know it's a little lopsided, but so was the deal between the Rox and Portland for Pippen. Ironically, Jermaine O'Neal was the player I wanted most when Scottie Quitten was shipped out.
    Thoughts?

2. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

I'll give you a 126,000,000 reasons why he's not going anywhere.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

anybody want to explain to this guy what a Collective Barganing Agreement is??

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He's not coming here. Period.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Jermaine may think he can demand anything he wants but the fact is that he is under contract and can demand nothing.

Does anyone think Larry Bird would trade him at this point? Certainly not.

Jermaine will pout and get pissed off put when it is all said and done he wants the pay check and he will play for the Pacers.

7. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

126,000,000 is a lot of reasons for both parties to work out an amicable resolution to the situation. But don't forget what Horry did in Phoenix to get out of Ainge's grip.

It is rare that a player could cause enough disruption to move his contract elsewhere, but not out of the question. You only have to go as far as Elie and the Rockets to give an example of a star getting shot off to another team.

8. jshabang

jshabang Member

I don't know....but this cat is really mad.....for real.......

They bold face lied to the guy to resign him........they specifically told the guy Thomas was goin nowhere.......and a month later hes gone...............I'm not sayin hes comin here but there will be some drama in Indy when O'neal gets back from the Tournament...you can bet on that.......the guy was like the kids father for gods sake

Isaiah was with him at the tournament when they called him and told him to come back to indy............

Dam i didn't know Bird was a connivin snake like that..........that was a completely dirty move by Larry Legend and he may have an irate superstar on his hands to show for it next season...

9. crash5179

Certainly Ellie and Horry don't classify as stars in the same class that O’Neil is in. If I'm a GM and someone like Ellie or Horry is making waves then hell yes I ship him in a heartbeat because they are both easily replaced talent wise. On the other hand I put up with a lot more crap when O’Neil whines because it may be a decade or more before you can get someone like him back on your team, especially now when Power Players are at a premium.

Besides, does anyone else think that the only reason Thomas was not fired sooner was so the Pacers would have a better chance at resigning Jermain O’Neil? I really believe that Thomas was only kept this long in order to secure O’Neal. If that is the case then certainly Bird new that O’Neal would be pissed and is prepared to ride out the tough weather until the Pacers start winning and O’Neal is happy again.

10. crash5179

That doesn't surprise me a bit. I bet Bird has always wanted to get back at Thomas for the racist remarks Thomas made about Bird in the media back in their playing days. I don't doubt that Bird will always carry around a lot of animosity towards Thomas for that.

11. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

reported on espn. I guess it's happening soon, i'll keep a lookout...

12. Rudyball

crash,

They won't be winning if ONeil isn't playing to win. Bird won't keep him if he isn't playing to win, either !

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So if they told him Isiah was gonna be the coach, wouldn't that be an oral contract kinda deal? There isn't a way to get out of that contract?

14. crash5179

If he is any kind of competiter he will play to win when he gets out on the court. If not why would anyone want him?

Jermain is not going to want to be beaten on the floor regardless of the situation off of the floor.

15. mikedane

mikedane Member

Whats he whinning about, he just got a big fat contract tying up alot of money that could be spent to bring in better players. he is just affraid that bird is going to bring in some hard nosed coach, much like the rockets did.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Even if (and that's a huge IF) Indiana actually listens to O'Neal and lets him go in a trade, there is no (and that's a huge NO) way the Rockets can absorb his contract. The end.

17. Rudyball

crash,

If you felt like your boss fired the secretary you said you had to have to take the promotion he just gave you, tell me your going to "give him your all".

Not sure Bird should have that much confidence in ONeil after he trashed his promise.

Bird: "Jermaine, can I count on you to put all this behind us, give me 1,000,000 % effort this year to carry us to the playoffs?"

ONeil: "Sure thing. " (I'll give you everything you gave me, plus that knife after I can get it out of my back!)

18. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

It could happen but Stevie would be involved. It is certainly not happening for a bunch of bench players like Cato, Griffin, Rice. I also do not believe that Oneil would be a good fit next to Yao.

But it could happen, just not without Steve Francis.

19. SLA

SLA Member

What is we trade Rice, Taylor, Cato, and Moochie for him? I know that won't work...but then we would be able to absorb his contract...

I would love to get O'Neal Jermaine without giving up Mobley, Yao, or Francis. If we got him.....we would be at the same level as the Spurs and Timberwolves and Mavericks and Kings!

Griffin, Cato, and Rice...plus one 1st round draft pick and 2 2nd round draft picks? PLUS cash?

Yes...I would do that. But can't happen.

#19 SLA, Aug 28, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  20. mrgoubople1

mrgoubople1 Member

i know it will never happen, but just out of curiosity, would you guys deal trade some combo of Francis, griffin, rice and fillers, for J'oneal, and al harrington, and tinsley (or maybe artest instead of harrington?)
    i definatly would, because we get a pass first pg, and a dominant future fronline.
    Cant happen tho, Oneal cant be traded until december