1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Tyler

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by REEKO_HTOWN, May 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You really don't think Morey will take a chance with this guy?

The same Morey who traded for Thabeet and Williams?

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Williams actually had talent and Thabeet dominated a league more talented than the one Tyler came off the bench for.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Neither one of these two were 19 years old. Look, i get it, the guy had a bad experience overseas, but at one time he was touted as the best player coming out of high school. People keep saying that he made a bad decision to go over at such a young age. I am starting to think that it was actually a good idea because he is still young enough to grow with a team here. The only bad thing about it, imo, was that he missed out on his education. But to have that experience and still come out of it looking ok, is golden.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It's not his talent that is questionable. His decision to go overseas was less of a problem than how he acted once he got there.

5. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

When I look at the poor decisions this kid has made, and I'm referring more to his altercations with his coaches and teammates rather than his decision to skip college to play overseas (which is debatable), it's clear to me this kid is a knucklehead and there's no reason to believe that he won't continue to be a knucklehead. I have a hard time believing that DM doesn't already know this and would be foolish enough to give a knucklehead a multi-year, guaranteed contract by drafting him in the first round.

I would have no problem if Houston drafted Tyler in the second round when his contract is not guaranteed, though. I believe that would fit DM's strategy of low-risk, high-reward á la squid, 'beet, etc.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Thanks for supporting my post and not being contrarian for once, Ohmss. Basically, what this all means is that if you're trying to guess who the Rockets might be looking to pick, you have to start at the list of guys who have actually produced, IN GAME. Potential and athleticism come second.

7. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Im almost convinced that "Oolay-a-ooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!" is never coming to Houston.

8. guoxiangsu

guoxiangsu Member

i hope rocket can take him with the second pick or the 23#pick。he is the no.1 basketball player in high school once

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is what i have been saying all along. He is barely past high school aged now.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's funny since Morey was trying so hard to move into the top 5 to Draft Demarcus Cousins in last years draft:rolleyes:

The idea that Morey doesn't want high ceiling guys with baggage is a myth.

See "moving up for Cousins" and trading for Thabeet and Williams.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't think Newley, Leunen and Llull are either. This is why i am against drafting foreign players for this very reason.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Isn't Leunen American? Or did he switch to Dutch citizenship?

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IDK. All i know is that i haven't seen or heard anything about him.

14. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Cue OHMSS post.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Don't you mean Argueman?:grin:

16. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

This year, he played in a European competition for the first time, in the 2nd tier Eurocup. I think his Italian team has qualified to the first tier Euroleague for next year.

We will see how he does playing at the actual Euroleague level, which is a lot tougher than where he played up to now (Turkish League, Italian League, Eurocup).

I don't think he has any intentions of playing for the Rockets. As far as I know, he just signed a 2 year contract extension with Cantu.

Anyway, Newly, Llull, Eliyahu are all easily good enough to play in the NBA. Llull = really good on offense and really bad on defense.

Eliyahu = good on offense, good at rebounding, bad at defense. Newley = OK at offense and very good at defense.

17. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Don't forget Artest and Wafer.

We'd prefer high-character guys if we can get them, but the bottom line is that if you can produce on the court, you can be a Rocket. I'd be thrilled if we take him with the Orlando pick, because most late first rounders are lucky to stick in the league as bench players, and Tyler could still be a star.

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

This would really surprise me. I don't think Newley was ever really known for his defense.. wasn't he supposed to be just a good spot up shooter? It's been so long since we drafted him, I can't remember the scouting report.. but I have a hard time seeing him become a good defender in the NBA.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

He also drafted Donte Green, a fact many forget due to his short Houston career.

That said, Morey also has an aversion to bad contracts. And a worthless rookie making guaranteed money is definitely not to Morey's taste. So it really comes down to just how much potential Tyler has over Hill and Thabeet. If the Rockets see him as about the same level, then there's no point in developing a 3rd guy. If there's something about him that really stands out, I think Morey would take him, perhaps even as high as the 14th pick if he's sold.

Since my personal belief is that any young center not worth a top 5 pick basically has no chance, I don't really like him.

20. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Happy 20th Birthday Jeremy Tyler!

IDK if he'll be rocket, but I'll wish the guy a happy birthday anyways.