1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy needs some subtlety in his game...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jasonemilio, Jan 9, 2013.

1. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Lin's outside jump shot is okay once he gets his feet set, and follow-through with the shot. The guy shot a very high percentage in practice, that's why the coaches want him to take those 3pt in the game. His shooting form is not the issue. Most of his misses were due to either rushed, or didn't have the follow-through.

His biggest problem is that his jump-shot release is too slow, which makes it hard to get a shot off, that's why you rarely see him doing pull-up jumps. The few times he did shoot, that's when the defenders fell back, worry about his passing, or penetration. It sounds simple, but very hard to change when you have been shooting like that ever since you have been playing basketball.

I think it's easier to add a new skill, e.g. running shot to your game, than to change your shooting form/habit.

#121 daoshi, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

3. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

It's because people are comparing it to a) his Linsanity period and b) Lin having to play up to his contract vs other players who get paid the same and put up same or better numbers. Lin will always draw a lot of expectations. Because of his situation (undrafted, asian, harvard, linsanity etc etc) he will always be scrutinized somehow. but like other great NBA players, Lin uses criticism as fuel to play better, so keep on hatin'

4. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

I really want him to practice creating contact and ask harden for tips...maybe it's a pride thing where they don't want to copy/take another person's style?

5. rockets137

rockets137 Member

The thing is he thought you had a p***y (judging from your posts, even I can't blame the guy)

But seriously, everyone has to stop being harsh to him (and his kind) to keep the balance of this fansite and sometime makes things interesting. Otherwise this forum will be a boring one. If anything Lin just keep proving him wrong anyway. so no problem and thank you king1

------
    best backcourt baby !!! HarLin

6. FacePalmMaster

In addition to his inconsistent jumper, working more on the left, etc.

I might add of him learning how to break his falls. He's been taking some hard contact on those drives, esp on landings. He might do some good taking some judo lessons just to learn that aspect, might save him a lot of issues in the long run.

7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Good point about the pull up shots.

I agree that his form and release by nature is a bit slow and is not the best for quick pullups because he tends to palm it from the center and the shot is very centered rather than tucked in line with his elbow.

Still though, I've seen games last year where he could atleast stop for a floater or go for a shot over a shorter defender.

What he CAN change though is that when defenders are sagging off the pick, he still has plenty of room and time to pullup rather than try 100% force the issue. Or when he is spotting up and receives a pass, he can fake and do 1 dribble pullup. But he always choose to take it all the way to rim and sometimes he either doesnt get the foul call or gets blocked etc.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Actually, I said he was a backup PG during Linsanity. You can search my post history if you'd like

9. King1

He certainly could, and if he does I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and give him credit.

10. King1

Man, that one really hurt. I don't think I'll ever recover from such a vicious pwn.

It's funny how the ones being "harsh on him" are labled racists and other things while numerous posts comparing him to the best in the NBA, HOF'ers, ect... go virtually ignored with the exception of a few of us who respond. No real Rockets fan want Lin to suck. That would be ignorant. The problem is the legion of fans he brought over here who are completely clueless. I mean arguing he has more potential then Chris Paul or James Harden is flat out absurd. That's where the reverse trolling comes in. I don't feel bad about it at all either. I hope every single LOF puts me on ignore. It's funny watching them get pissed off.

11. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I doubt it.

You barely give him any credit when he plays good on offense or defense.
    Yet one little slip up and you're quick to relegate him to backup.

Get real man.

12. King1

Whatever you say dude. I've given him credit when he's played well. Those instances have just been few and far between. If you honestly think that I want Toney Douglas starting over him then my best guess is you wear a helmet while posting. I do think he's a backup PG though if I'm being honest.

You need to take your own advice

13. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

By what reasons, other than the fact that he might operate best as the main guy of the bench with the ball in his hands, do you think he is a backup PG?

I'm real and objective. I give him (objective) crap when he deserves it, just like anyone else on this team. But anyone other than a hater will disagree with you that he is anything less than a capable starting PG (right now).

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

LOL. Game to game emotional highs and lows. Instant off the sleeve incorrect analysis. Complete lack of patience and willingness to let the season unfold. The expansion of one or two games into statistical significance. Pretty.damned.shoddy.

15. seahawk

seahawk Member

stop talking

16. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

One thing I'd like Lin to improve on is his decision making. He tries too hard for the home run play and makes a dangerous pass which most often results in a turnover.

17. Viola

Viola Member

Nah... He is playing in the D league right now.

18. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Hate to say it but, rockets slow start . Gives me the panics. Even superstar harden was missing alot of shots. Also asik seem to be slowing the pace . Generally whole team was playing bad. Why?

19. King1

When I say he's a backup pg I mean on a contending team. Obviously, he's the best option we have currently at that position. First of all, he's a poor shooter so far. I understand that he's a player who needs the ball in his hands to be effective but unfortunately for him we have Harden. Harden is every bit the playmaker Lin is and has earned the right to control the ball. He's just a much better player. That has relegated jeremy to hovering around the perimiter for his shots. Those shots are wide open, but he hasn't been able to knock them down. With expectations low, the current situation is fine but he doesn't compliment Hardens game. Plus, he turns the ball over a ton. As for his defense, I think it's overstated. He plays the passing lanes extremely well, is great on rotations and has a high basketball IQ. He's not much of an on ball defender. Like I said, he'd be a solid guy coming off the bench for a good team. I think that's what he'll end up being whether it's here or somewhere else.

The term hater is just so lame to me. It's a term no adult should ever use. I'm not looking for a bunch of people to agree with me. I'm simply stating my opinion. Way too many people care about their perception on an internet message board and that speaks volumes.

20. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Bro u barking-up the wrong tree.