1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy needs some subtlety in his game...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jasonemilio, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Harden is certainly the better player of the two right now. And I'm certainly not saying that Jeremy Lin necessarily has more upside than James Harden, but as to your statement...you DO realize that Jeremy Lin broke several League-Wide records at the age of 23 last year, right?

2. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Or max guard...or the way he's hitting the ground retired.:grin:

3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

what records are james harden breaking exactly? i love this guy, but let's not act like babe ruth just showed up.

4. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Yeah...Lin was also breaking records during his starts. No doubt Harden is good though.

5. AlbanyFan

AlbanyFan Member

Okay. Harden is a much more polished player at this point than Lin. Harden is already proving his value. Lin right now is 50%proven/50%potential.

6. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Only if Lin had Rose's hops.....:grin:

7. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

I believe Harden is on track to beat Houston's record for most consecutive games with 25+ pts held by Moses Malone, but he's certainly not yet beating any league-wide records to best of my understanding. Not that that's not an impressive feat by itself, of course.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Those aren't really "records". They're just stats skewed by ESPN and the media to make it look like a player is performing exceptionally well or prove a "point". But don't get me wrong, last year Lin did play well during that stretch. But an example of these "records"...

"First to 65 points in first 81 minutes of game play? ONLY FEW SELECT COMPANIES HAVE DONE THIS." (why 81 minutes? Why 65 points?)

"WOW! only 5 players in the league have averaged 15 pts 6 rbs 6 assists for 6 games in a row!" (why 6 games as the limit? Why 15 points 6 rb and 6 assists as the guideline? How is this a "record"? It shows a player is performing well compared to other greats in the past, but how does getting this mean he is "breaking records"?)

9. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Look at Harden. He doesn't have elite speed or quickness, but he can play at a variety of paces (not to mention he can actually shoot the damn ball decently). Something to be said for slowing it down.

10. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

I've been a big Jason Kidd fan since college (he went to Cal like I did). And this is old man Jason Kidd talking. When Kidd was younger he played 100% just about the whole game. He ran around everywhere filling up the box score and did it for 82 games. It was awesome to watch and when you're young the body does amazing things.
    Lin doesn't need to slow down....if anything he needs to go 100% in the 1st quarter instead of the slow starts he's notorious for.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Harden is also 6'5" and strong as a bull with exceptional body control. There are very few players that have the combination of skills that Harden have.

12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You sound angry. May I suggest a brisk walk or a stress ball

13. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Yea, if Lin can start knocking down the outside shot and making opposing defenses honor him all over the court and not just sagging in the lane to stop his penetration _ I think he will be a 20+ points a game player (or close to it)...

If Lin can become a consistent offensive threat, we'll start seeing Harden put up 40 and 50 point games.

14. King1

I just don't see it. He could easily prove me wrong but I think the Lin we're seeing this year is indicitive of the player he is. From all indications he's a hard worker so it concerns me that he is missing open jump shots on a consistant basis. I'm sure it's something he works on every day. Reality may be that he's just not a good shooter. I also think he'll always be a high turnover guy. That's fine if he's averaging 17-18 points, 7-8 assists and shooting 45%, (33-25% from three) but he just doesn't strike me as a player who could put up those stats outside of the assists. The assists I think he can fet to.

15. King1

I hope so. I guess we'll see

16. King1

Use the ignore feature

17. BlueJazz

BlueJazz Member

Yes, go to User CP → Edit Ignore List → add King1 to your list

Please do that ASAP and stop responding to him!

18. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Stop it... You're going to hurt people's feelings with your darn logical post....lol..

19. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Not all of them are quite as convoluted as that. Some are rather straight forward. Most points in first X starts.

That's the way records are. It would be like saying why 25+ points and not 26+ or why in Houston but not in SW division? You do realize the nature of records is a specific set of arbitrary stats, right?

And it's not A FEW SELECT COMPANY, it's none, otherwise it wouldn't be breaking a record.

20. MonKing

MonKing Member

Kind of funny when reading a thread and you see almost a whole page of "This message is hidden because (so-and-so) is on your ignore list."