1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's usage rate vs. his effectiveness

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 29, 2013.

1. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Agreed. I'm beginning to suspect that it's Harden who really wants to have the ball at all times, forcing McHale to do the dirty works. (merely a conjecture)

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I suspect that Lin is too scared to play in the starting line-up, forcing McHale to do the dirty work so the fault is placed on McHale. (merely a conjecture)

3. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

You mean like Lin actually has some kinda Royce White in him? If so, he shouldn't have signed with the Rockets.

4. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Superstars have the ball in their hands because they make the better play far more often than the next best player.

That is why Harden has the ball, that is why Lin will have the ball coming off the bench.

Best player gets the ball

5. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

A lot of times it is like that. But also sometimes the good passing PGs have the ball in hand and pass to various scorers.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He signed here because the team gave him a nice contract.

7. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

This is the key to unlocking Lin IMO

When he is on, wow... that game against SA, he looked a bonafide superstar, i never watched him in NY but i can see where his support comes from.

Perhaps now with a clear defined role (if McHale doesnt alternate starters like he said he would) he will find the ability to turn it on every night. As, psychologically, it is much easier to find motivation with a clear goal in mind (expectancy theory)
    It's up to the coach to give him those situations though.

His efficiency seems to increase significantly when he is actively looking for his shot rather than going through the motions of a 3rd option read, hopefully we will at least see some improvement in efficiency vs usage from this perspective

8. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

So you think he was very unhappy during Linsanity and last year and now has finally found peace? Doesn't look like it. You think he signed here just for the money? That's no good. If true, he must be a very good actor.

9. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

He didn't just sign here for the money.

Remember NYK actually declined to match our offer (he was an RFA if i remember) and he said he would rejoin the Knicks if he had a choice.

Years on from that, I'm sure he has now changed his mind, but Lin is nothing if not a genuine person. This was simply the best (and only) offer he had after the team he owed loyalty to, backed out.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You are absolutely right, the contract size Houston offered Lin was definitely not the reason Lin signed here.

11. verysimplejason

I agree, this will only be good for Lin especially if they can give him at least 30-35 minutes per game. The only problem I see here if he's particularly effective then Rockets will have a hard time keeping him after his contract expires. If he can help bring at least one ring then I think it's worth it. It will be up to Harden and Howard though to really grab that championship. They have the most to prove among the Rockets' players.

12. New

My guess is Mchale either does not really have much control over how Harden plays or he likes to try the same failed approach and expect a different result: Last season's game against Lakers is the proof.

13. New

That's far from the truth. He only had one offer, period. Even after Linsanity, no team wanted him in 2012 except us (who was going into a full-rebuiding mode before we had Harden).

14. basketballholic

Lin with Bev, Garcia, Casspi, and Dwight is a reprisal of the 11-12 Knicks with Lin playing with Chandler and Novak. I fully expect him to light it up. You have to factor Dwight in there too. Dwight is going to play plenty of minutes with Lin on the floor. Big time pick and roll action with Lin finding Dwight, or picking out a shooter, or finishing.

15. New

He had only one offer. Knicks did not give him an offer. You are absolutely right to say that he chose the biggest offer he had.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He had a bigger offer than most teams were willing to give. You don't think the Knicks would match if the Bucks stepped in and offered him 2 million a year?

17. New

Did Bucks make an offer before us?

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No, I'm saying the Rockets made a bigger offer than any other team was willing to offer. So the notion that no team wanted Lin after Linsanity is wrong.

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yep, Rockets were reeling after Dragic/Lowry(fatcrapasshole) departed, and the prospect of Courtney Fortson meant Morey bid perhaps 2-3M higher than what he would've normally, however that would've probably been matched

20. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Thats actually a very interesting dynamic

Lin is a pnr player so when he is the ballhandler, the offense will be pnr.

Howard was gravitating towards post-play last year but will be forced back into his very effective pnr offense.

What this means is Lin's usage and effectiveness will not be severely hampered by dumping the ball down low to DH and sitting on the wing for the kick out 3pt but would still be allowed to drive (which is his most effective usage of the ball), similar to the Chandler/Lin example you alluded to.