1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. redlawn

redlawn Member

YES THANK YOU. I was looking for that vid.

This was an away game for the Knicks, and even the Spurs announcers were calling out Amare on his horrible D. Amare did that virtually the whole game.

2. thekad

thekad Member

Went and checked Jennings' games vs New York just for fun. He put up 25 and 10 against Lin on 50% shooting (career < 40% shooter). The next game vs New York in which Lin didn't play, Jennings shot 27%...

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Amare is terrible defensively that can't be argued. We all saw the video. Melo on the other hand isn't terrible. He just put absolutely no effort in for the majority of the season. When he was putting in effort towards the latter half of the season he wasn't terrible anymore. He was decent. I never said Rubio wasn't good defensively but he isn't one of the best defensive pg in the NBA though. That was the statement that I was disagreeing with.

4. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Just checked 82games for some other stats,
    Tyson Chandler on/off court? -1.2

Lin was actually the 3rd on the Knicks team when it comes to defensive on/off behind landry fields and Jared Jeffries.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lol. Anybody can cherry pick stats to prove a point. In the Bulls game Lin kept Rose to 32 points on 28 shots. Had 3 blocks and 3 steals as well.

6. redlawn

redlawn Member

In that game, Lin went 8/14 for 20 points and 13 assists. Lin had a +/- of +13 in that game. Jennings was -1.

Your point? :rolleyes:

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

Relying solely on statistics does not provide a accurate enough answer as to a players talents. Using the eye test in conjunction with stats is best. Not saying that he is great defensively but he isn't below average. After playing in 64 NBA games there is nothing wrong with being an average defender.

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

Do you still have the link for this.

9. redlawn

redlawn Member

Link?

Not saying I disagree about Rubio's D. I'd like to see some stats though.

Btw, Love may not be a shot blocker, but he's arguably the best rebounding big man in the league today.

10. Akim523

Akim523 Member

11. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

It's interesting that you looked up the amount of time that Lin played with Chandler, but didn't bother looking up the amount of time Lin played with Amare and Carmelo, because then you'd know that 63% of Lin's minutes came playing with Amare and 54% of his minutes were with Carmelo. Furthermore, of the 2247 minutes during the season in which Lin didn't play, Chandler played in 62% of those, so it's not like Chandler just sat out while Lin was out.

You can also look at Lin's adjusted plus/minus scores, which takes into account the performance of teammates and opponents, and see that he had a positive effect both offensively and defensively for the Knicks (source).

If you think Kevin Love is a defensive non-factor, go to Synergy and compare him to Kevin Garnett, who I think most people would consider one of the top defensive power forwards out there, and let me know what you find. You can also try the same thing with Pekovic and Chandler. I'll wait.

12. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Why don't you bring the evidence instead of telling people to find it

13. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Also, it's kind of a pain in the ass to go back and forth between tabs typing numbers because that Synergy website doesn't let you copy/paste.

14. redlawn

redlawn Member

Because he's merely rebutting a (false) claim made by someone else, rather than making his own assertions?

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Starter

15pts 7ast 3to

16. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Dwight Howard > Love

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I thought it was pretty obvious --- encourage people to make an effort in finding the answer.

18. moreyball

moreyball Member

Probably a mix between Derek Fisher offense and Steve Nash defense. Not bad

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Higher Ceiling: Borderline top 5 point guard (a chance to be slightly better, depends on how much he improves)

Floor: A slightly above average point guard

Several things work well in Lin's favor, especially for a young point guard - court vision, deceptive quickness, getting to the rim (scoring ability), creativity with the basketball, and UNSELFISHNESS. Mid-range is decent, while his defense and long-range shooting can improve along with his ball control.

This garbage about him playing against weak teams and catching good teams, during slumps...is irrelevant. If that was the case, how come other point guards, besides the usual Rose-Rondo-Westbrook category didn't perform that well in such a period of time. No other point guard, outside of the top 6 or 7 impressed me as much as Lin did, even including Dragic, Rubio, and Lowry. I didn't see it. Out of those other three, I really didn't see either team or fanbase get energized as much

Right now, I think Lowry and Dragic are both better, but Lin has a much higher ceiling to his game than both. Dragic is more polished than Lin and a shade or two more consistent than Lin, but Lin has little more play-making skill in him. With Lowry, he's better than Lin in most areas, but again in the ones that truly matter for point guard...it's almost even. It doesn't seem to come to Lowry as natural as it does Lin, while Lowry is nowhere as creativity with basketball or someone who keep teams on their heels, defensively. Moreover, he's a poor mid-range shooter, while being superior at rebounding and better defender.

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lol. That is terrible. Nash is a lawn chair on the defensive end. Your bugging, Fisher offensively...