1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I doubt he would reach that high.

2. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Technically he has better stats last season then Bibby in his prime. *shrugs*
    Of course Lin will magically regress in an up tempo pick and roll system. :rolleyes:

3. thisiscaketown

Why is that?

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

I am pretty sure that Nash wasn't always a fantastic shooter homie. I remember Nash being regularly booed at home in his younger days. I am pretty sure shooting is something Nash improved on. Nash was a really late bloomer in terms of honing his pg skills. And I think the Nash comparison is kind of fitting considering that Mike D'antoni was the person who said it first. He told Lin that in his rookie days when he came for pre-draft workouts. He said the same thing when Lin was playing as well in NY that he would do things and MDA and his team would be like wow that was Nash like. Even Nash said he definitely sees some similarities. Your fighting a loosing battle homie.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

because I don't think Lin has that much potential. Bibby's a better shooter and decision maker.

Jul 2012 reg posters don't kill me, I don't hate Jeremy Lin, I welcome him on the team because I think he's a good pg, I just don't see the fuss about him.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

no you are wrong, Nash has always been a great shooter, though he did improve to be an elite shooter.

Jeremy Lin is an average shooter, I don't expect his shooting to even reach Nash's shooting at the beginning of Nash's career.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

Hmm. Maybe I am wrong about Nash. Anyway. I disagree though. Shooting is something you can improve. Look at Jason Kidd. By the way I am not attacking you. Just having a simple discussion. There seems to be a lot of anxiety going around.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Nash didn't even play because kj and kidd were better players. Once he got to dallas,hestarted to play very,very well. In phoenix, the offense fit him to a T. Again, people thought he had talent because he was drafted 14th in the 1st rd. Bibby,whom I've seen mentioned was the #2 pick in the entire draft. Ben wallace is the only guy I can think of who went undrafted and turned into a great player. Ben wallace is probably the only player in the last 20 yrs to be undrafted and make all star game along with brad miller.

9. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

They have some similarities but like I said Lin is more of a hybrid PG. Its not an insult or compliment he is more Tony Parker esque than Nash esque. Lin is a capable slasher and scorer and he is also a pretty good passer. At this point a poor man's Tony Parker but he has the potential to be just as good as Tony Parker maybe even better.

For the record I hate Tony Parker. Dude is a deuche.

10. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Jason Kidd has always been a terrible shooter and scorer and still is. The reason he is considered so great is because of his terrific passing and defense.

Nash=great passer, runs a great offense, all time great shooter, piss poor defense.

Kidd=great passer, runs a great offense, not a good shooter, great defense.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

I know it isn't an insult. I love Parker to be honest as a basketball player. I just love the entire Spurs team and Pop. But Parker as a person is a deuche you are right but as a baller he is fun to watch. And I agree 100% he is more of a hybrid pg, he can score the ball so well that it would be foolish for him to stop doing that and try to be something he is not. Anyway, thanks for the discussion.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

No Kidd has actually improved his shooting. Something he added to his game over time.

13. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Actually, you should really check up Nash's stats in his 3rd/4th years.

Year 3 - first year in Dallas, started 40 games, 32min/gm, 36.3% FG% (yes, FG, not 3pt%), 7.9ppts, 5.5assists, 2.8reb
    Year 4 - 27.4min, 8.6pts, 4.9assists, 2.2reb.

It was Steve Nash's 5th year when he really broke out. He was 25 years old then.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I will laugh at all this expert opinion when Lin reaches an All-Star within the next 2 seasons.

No one knows what this kid's ceiling is, no one. Not even the so-called experts. He has proved everyone wrong already, I would not bet against him. Lin has been a winner everywhere he's been, all he needed was an opportunity.

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Agreed.

16. dialtone888

dialtone888 Rookie

Rocket Lin = lot's of hot asian chicks = lot's of horny boys = lot more fans at games = exciting season. Get ready for a wild year boys!

17. mrchuckles

mrchuckles Member

I've been watching Lin since GSW signed him. From his first season to his second season, he made HUGE improvements to his game. He is like a totally different player now from when he was with the W's.

Of course, with the Warriors he only got garbage time but even then he had trouble finishing layups, and his jump shots were high school-ish.

In the offseason, he had an exhausting training regime (he even made a nice video of it that is on youtube) to improve his physical explosiveness and his shooting. The results are obvious.

Although he is still recovering from the surgery, I expect to see big improvements to a lot of aspects to his game. Also, last season he had next to no practice and no training camp and look what he did with the Knicks.

And honestly, I think his best trait is his ability to make the other four players on the floor better. That is a rare skill.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lot's of horny boys=exciting season

I see

19. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

Outside Westbrook and maybe Jennings, I don't see any other PG under 25 that is clearly in a different class than Lin. (see list below) All of these guys have more experience and some are already at their ceiling.

D. Rose (23) - may never be the same after ACL
    B. Jennings (22) - a score first PG that is not efficient
    R. Rubio (21) - can't shoot at all
    S. Curry (24) - glass ankles
    J. Wall (21) - no clue what's wrong w/ him, but definitely something
    T. Lawson (24) - better than Lin now, but hardly in a diff. class
    M. Conley (24) - at his ceiling already; Lin is probably better now
    DJ Augustin (24) - same
    J. Lin (23) - we know his flaws

I'm sure there will be at least 1-2 from that list that will step up to become "elite" PGs. Why can't one be Lin?

I know most of the players are more physically gifted than Lin (i.e. Wall), but we all know that physical tools only take you so far. Michael Beasley was a beast during college and arguably a better scorer than Durant was, but one was a hard worker and the other not so much.

20. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

[​IMG]