1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. dantian

dantian Member

good to know. that explains a lot.

2. Parpar2j

Parpar2j Member

how about Lin and Parsons Bromance???

I see Parsons looks at Jeremy Lin like Lin is a girl.

3. SugarLandDream8

3 games in a row Lin scores 21 or better. Not many role players or scubs have done that in the NBA. Usually superstars. Lin shows many signs he may be a future star player in this league. I can see him as a 20 ppg, 9 apg, 2 spg guy the last year of his contract. He'll be more polish then and it'll be a contract year as well.

4. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

NOOOOOOOOO parsons - that's jailbait there!

5. WSWhippets

WSWhippets Member

all you need to know about his upside was showcased tonight--his perfect backdoor pass to parsons for the dunk, his outlet passes for easy baskets that the camera couldn't even follow, his repeated drives to the rim.

6. akuma

akuma Member

his rebounding is underwhelming, however, with numerous games of 0, 1 or 2 rebounds and his career high being only 7, accomplished only twice. is very Stocktonish in that regard (Stockton only had 1 career triple double and that was in the playoffs; in the regular season he was never able to get 10 rebounds, 9 being his career high).

7. verysimplejason

I think he's capable of being a max contract or near max contract guy. Where? It's possible it's here but will greatly depend on how Morey/Les/McHale value Lin. I find NBA players like chess pieces that can be traded/moved for the correct price. Sure I'd like his success to happen here with the Rockets but we can only hope.

8. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

[​IMG]

9. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

I don't know what kind of expectations people have - let's get real: can Lin be good at everything?!?

I looked it up, and it's not great, but actually, not horrendous.

According to

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/rebounds/sort/avg48Rebounds/position/point-guards

Lin is 18th with 4.7 RP48, about the middle.

Best is Jason Kidd with 7.4 RP48.

10. Karolik

Karolik Member

That would make him a top 3 pg in the NBA, and comparable to CP3. Slow down there.

11. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

Tune in next time when Lin wins the League MVP, Final MVP, All NBA First Team, NBA All Defensive Team, MIP, Sixth Man of the Year, Sportsmanship Award, Executive of the Year, Leader of the Year, etc... :))

C'mon people, Lin has a stretch of good games recently which is an encouraging sign, but to call him a star or top 3 PG or max contract player when he has yet to sustain that streak for long enough is just baiting others to troll the next time he has a bad game.

12. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Agreed. People here knee-jerk so hard it's ridiculous.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

nobody has called him that but you

1 person likes this.
  14. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

right guys , we don't lin supernova and then getting injured. All we need is him being dependable and clutch on the 4th and 3rd.

15. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

He's #11 out of all PGs in rebounding right now and til recently was top 10. He was rebounding better earlier in the season but recently hasn't been getting as many. Some have said he plays further from the rim so that he can lead the break more often.

16. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Jrue Holiday is putting 19 and 9 right now but I wouldn't say he's comparable to CP3. Numbers aren't everything, context matters. If Lin was in a situation like Jrue I can easily see him averaging those numbers on a bad team in 2 years. I mean he averaged 18 and 8 as a starter last season.

Thing is I don't think Lin will do it on this team because he doesn't have as much freedom as someone like Jrue due to Harden.

17. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

That's perfectly fine: as long as he helps the team make the playoffs and beyond, he has done his job as PG (AFAICT, that's also his attitude).

Because JLin usually only takes what the opponents give him, I actually think he makes the players around him better - something that doesn't show up in his individual stats.

18. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Dude - Lin had 10 boards this YEAR.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400277738

19. demarco1

demarco1 Member

Yes, for example... Tyson Chandler... that's the real fact, look at the point he make in linsanity and now

20. Comic Book Nerd

Jeremy's Upside for March

<table border=1>
    <tr>
    <td>Player</td> <td>FG%</td> <td>3P%</td> <td>FT%</td> <td>Assists</td> <td>Steals</td> <td>Points</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td>Jeremy Lin</td> <td>.535</td> <td>.438</td> <td>.789</td> <td>5.4</td> <td>1.0</td> <td>16.9</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td>Raymond Felton</td> <td>.478</td> <td>.366</td> <td>.852</td> <td>4.6</td> <td>1.5</td> <td>14.0</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td>Goran Dragic</td> <td>.447</td> <td>.366</td> <td>.739</td> <td>8.0</td> <td>2.3</td> <td>14.4</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td>Steve Nash</td> <td>.455</td> <td>.444</td> <td>.969</td> <td>5.5</td> <td>0.5</td> <td>15.3</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td>Stephen Curry</td> <td>.438</td> <td>.436</td> <td>.911</td> <td>7.0</td> <td>1.1</td> <td>23.5</td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td>Chris Paul</td> <td>.505</td> <td>.286</td> <td>.891</td> <td>10.8</td> <td>2.2</td> <td>17.9</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

It looks like Jeremy is having a very good month in March.

The only thing to be concerned is that his assists seemed to be shrinking as he scores more. He's performing on par with Steve Nash, blowing by Raymond Felton, scoring more than Dragic but not dishing as well, and I just thought I'd put in Curry and CP3's in there so people can see what an ELITE PG looks like.

While Jeremy is doing great, he's not ELITE yet. But I am definitely looking forward to it in a few years when he is killing it with the Rockets in a few years!