1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's defence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ERC

ERC Member

Oh yeah, I remembered that one too. He stayed in front of Irving and forced him to give up the ball, Lin then harassed the 2nd player Irving passed the ball to into shot clock violation.

Amazing D!

2. kent335

kent335 Member

http://niketalk.com/t/518761/hung-out-with-jeremy-lin-last-night

Blonde girl's brother knows Chandler Parsons, and we all ended up out with Lin for a couple hours last night. Went out to a few bars, was with Parsons and Delfino for most of the night. Met up later with Tony Douglas, James Harden, Marcus Morris.

YES, from all accounts, he is as good a guy as he seems. He turned down plenty of girls throwing themselves at him (seriously this was crazy) and he also turned down an invite from some teammates to go to the strip club. Toney Douglas gave me a free cover voucher but I never made it over there.

I post this not because I want to "show off," but because I wanted to give a neutral account of such a controversial sports figure. Personally, I always wonder about Tebow and other known Christian athletes and if they're "keeping an image," but from what I saw last night, Lin is a great guy. Probably gave a wave/handshake/"what's up" every 20 seconds over a two-hour period in one bar. I was amazed at how patient he was. I would have gone nuts. One guy kept saying "I have to tell you something" and got too close, so Lin had to push him away.

Couple tid-bits:

- the jersey-chasers there were possibly the most purely "shallow" human beings I have ever met.

- James Harden ranks Game's albums 1. Documentary 2. Doctor's Advocate 3. Jesus Piece

- Asked Lin if he wanted another beer back in the hotel room, he says "I'm just thinking about those Twizzlers" and points at these Twizzlers on the TV stand. Shrug and give him the bag.

3. ERC

ERC Member

The guy is Alex Conover, writer for the Timberwolves.

(I hope I did embed this Tweet correctly. Apology in advance if not...)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Me, Anna and Jeremy<a href="http://t.co/PwaQsiNZ" title="http://lockerz.com/s/272308440">lockerz.com/s/272308440</a></p>&mdash; Alex Conover (@alex_cono) <a href="https://twitter.com/alex_cono/status/284198616933990400" data-datetime="2012-12-27T07:26:45+00:00">December 27, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

you still hating on Douglas? you propaganda fawget, if you saw how douglas played in new york before he came to Houston you would know he's vastly improved and for the money he darn good value back pg.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

I actually thought that Lin is pretty good at fighting through screens. At least he has been a lot better in recent games. I remember bigs like Duncan, Perk etc running him through screen after screen & Lin getting around them quite adeptly.

6. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Nice.

Lin seems 100% legit. You can kind of get a feel for people who are fakers and who is not. Tebow always struck me as legit, and so does J-Lin.

I went to an Ivy League school and I know guys like J-Lin. Not as talented athletically, but guys who had their lives together and were serious about their religion.

Jeremy will just have to keep his head on straight with the NBA life, though. With his fame and notoriety now, everything in the world will be handed to him on a platter if he wants it.

7. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

I agree.

Lin is bigger, in height and mass, then guys think he is. He's not easy to muscle or move. But if you are shorter and quick, then you can beat him off the bounce. This is where TD is better used, I think.

Lin is a much better defender than he is generally given credit for, in my opinion.

8. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

This is nothing compared to when Lin, Fields, and JJ went to the clubs in NYC during the height of Linsanity. One tweet that Lin was in the club and it was over. Girls would line up just to talk to him.

9. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I think Felton is average, but yeah some Knicks fans still repeat the same old stuff like Lin can't play defense, go left, etc.

Felton does protect the rock better than Lin, though. That much is true.

10. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Lin has always had quick hands. And now that Lin's cutting down on his mistakes, he's becoming a pretty reliable defender, except sometimes with the quick PGs. That's why I was pretty glad he was able to check Irving tonight--who's one of the quickest.

If Lin can get his shooting more consistent, he's gonna be a great PG. But all young players struggle with consistency. A couple more years and he'll be a reliable 18+/8+ player without the single digit duds he gets sometimes these days.

11. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Who's JJ?

12. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Jared Jeffries!

13. Luca

Luca Member

JJ = Jared Jefferies

14. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Oh right. I thought he was like married, so i didn't think of that.

15. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

well, that is only because Felton doesn't penetrate into the lanes as much where it gets stripped more easily than anywhere else, and you also get a turnover when someone takes a charge on you.

16. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

why would you want to trade a backup pg that is doing everything you want him to do on this team like play defense and shoot spot up 3's for another backup pg that might not do the same? besides, when you bring up the name Toney Douglas in a trade, not a whole lot of GM's are going jump out of their seats. out of all the players in the league, do you think GM's take much notice of Toney Douglas even though he has been playing well for us? they probably only remember the Toney Douglas from last year who lost his starting job to a undrafted dleaguer and then continued to play like crap in NY.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

you are just now figuring this out.

Funny, I once thought I'd make a GARM post about his defence, about a month ago, but didn't because I'd get trashed in the middle of this Lin argument.

I can't even start threads about my favorite players nowadays without polarization occurring immediately.

and then a notorious idiot bball poster like postbadlee makes this very same post in the very context that he is an idiot for not noticing this....

so sad.

Will y'all just quit it (arguing or pretending not to argue), and guys like me might start making threads again....about our Rockets.

18. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Lin was a terrible defender with the Knicks, but he's picked up a lot intensity this season. I really like what he is doing.

19. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

2nd. Defense.

20. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

He was not. He was the same defender he is now, but slightly better at everything. That was his calling card in college and with GS. The one area he's improved on significantly is getting around the screen or anticipating and bumping the screen. Still got ways to go to reach his potential.

Actually, I think his lateral quickness is not that good(on defense), he just makes up for it with quicker recovery than most. Good hands, great anticipation and solid fundamentals are what makes his defense great. And as others pointed out, he leaves his man less than before though he still gets lost out there for a back cut once in a while.

As for Toney's d, although I love his energy, if Lin had Toney on him, he'd go by him every time. You don't go up on pgs that can juke or penetrate. On the contrary, the pgs that can't juke easily, TD gets up in their grill and makes it tough to set up their offense early whereas Lin is sometimes blase about it. It may be their personalities at work.