1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin with Rockets > Jeremy Lin with Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 6, 2013.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Some numbers:

Code:
                                     [B]PTS/70   AST/70  TOV/70  TS%[/B]
    11/12 Lin ("Linsanity")           22.3     8.2     5.3    58.4%
    11/12 Lin (post-"Linsanity")      16.1     7.3     4.1    52.6%    

12/13 Lin w/ Harden               13.7     6.3     3.0    53.1%
    12/13 Lin w/o Harden              17.5     8.7     4.2    57.7%

PTS/70, AST/70, and TOV/70 are stats per 70 possessions (roughly pace-adjusted per 36 minutes stats). 11/12 stats from stats.nba.com and 12/13 stats are from nbawowy.com.

2. Xfinity

Xfinity Member

You forgot about defense. No sane person would said Harden D is better than Lin.

3. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Just find a way to get both Harden and Lin working together man. I mean, we have two pieces that have the potential to be the "best backcourt in the league". Its up to the coaches and the both of them to work out how they can synergise.

There are plenty of arguments being bandied around the GARM that are truly unnecessary, IMHO. The worst are the "trade Lin" / "trade Harden" trades. Truly stupefying opinions.

4. cw3k

cw3k Member

Harden and Lin already the best backcourt. Just imagine what they can accomplished together next 2 season. Remember, Harden was acquired at the start of the season and Lin was on recovery mode during post season.

5. lwlee

lwlee Member

A lot of people were saying JLin wasn't performing well early this season due to last year's injury. Always thought that was a lame excuse. He had more than enough time to recover from that injury.

The real reason, (also why even tho last year's numbers are better than this year but he's still a better player this year) , is acclimation. He had 25 games last year where he surprised everyone and was playing hot as well as teams not being prepared for him. This year, he started slow because even with Harden taking some of the spotlight, JLin was not yet accustomed to the new team, new city, new role as starting PG. He wasn't your typical NBA starter. He still had the glare of Linsanity focused on him. I'm sure people gulpped hard when he air-balled in Miami at the beginning of the year. I did.

Now that he's gone through the league once or twice, he better understands what his strength are (attack the basket, passing) and what are his weaknesses (spot-up shooting). As he matures, he's getting better. Shooting is improving, early season was a poor barometer of his shooting skills. There are no longer complaints about going left, I've seen him go left multiple times with success. His turnovers are not as much a spotlight, since he's playing with more confidence and maturity. Going through the league a few times helps since he better understands how teams are setting up for him and the Rockets. He no longer thinks guys like Chris Paul or DWade are capable of stealing the ball from him at every possession. He figured out ways to handle it.

So yeah, numbers aren't Linsane but he's definitely a better, more experienced player now. Future is bright.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The old school posters are witty, smarter, and post from the heart.

I'll take hotballa, durvasa on my team.

The best poster you have is OTmax

7. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

Not sure how this could be perceived as a "lame excuse"...there's been multiple reports throughout the season indicating that Lin's knee strength has been below 100% until just recently. Just watching him on the court, you could tell that his elite burst of speed just wasn't present for the first couple of months, and his vertical was way less than last season. I know the recovery time for meniscus tears are fairly short, but I've seen lots of conflicting reports on the recovery time for meniscus tears that are repaired...some of these reports says 4-6 weeks, others say several months, so I'm not sure what to make from those. Plus, even if his knee joint was completely healed by the start of the season, you have to take into account that his quad/calves would have atrophied, which would definitely affect his play.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

You're right. Nobody yapping their mouth to Stephen a smith or having interviews about wishing to play with other players on other teams.

9. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

See Westbrook and Durant

10. lwlee

lwlee Member

No man, I don't believe it. He had some decent games in the beginning of the year. First game of year, he scored 21 points. He had the 38pt game against SAS in Dec. The problem was he wasn't consistent. Still acclimating. He had the injury last year, some felt he should have been ready in time for the playoffs.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Calvin Murphy was not a "great" point guard.

12. split41

split41 Member

Yeah, you're right he was better than great. Best PG/SG the rockets have ever had.

13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Turnovers are one of most overrated stat ever in the NBA. Look at the guards with a higher turnover ratio than Lin. Tony Parker's career turnover ratio is close to J.Lin's. Kobe, Durant, Lebron and Harden has higher turnovers than Lin. My leading NBA fantasy team has the highest turnovers, but I'm like the Miami Heat in the standings. I'm not saying turnover is good, but turnovers show aggressiveness and more involvement in the offense.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/b...ence=NBA&year=season_2012&sort=36&qualified=1

14. sean joh

sean joh Member

Yes! How stupid is that if you want to trade any of them! They are good players and the most important is they like each other . No matter you are HOH , LOH, or Dragic Lovers, these two are winning games for your Houston Rockets~

15. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

not this BS again. must be the same people who said rose should have been back months ago...

16. Elmhurst NY

Elmhurst NY Member

Modest and unpretentious too!
    Congrats to you!

17. lwlee

lwlee Member

Yeah that might have been too early and they didn't play him which I agree with. But after that he had like 6 MONTHs of rehab. Start of the new season he should have been fine.

18. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

fine physically, but mentally perhaps not. imo he didnt have the same confidence in the knee as before. was he holding back on purpose to prevent reinjury? only he knows. but add to that playing with a new team, playing with harden, etc. and you can start to see why he had such a terrible start.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

Durvassa can you put up the stats for number of times they get to the FT line?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

nobody was talking to you, i was talking another dude who tried to diss the old school.

the old school's got each other's back.