1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin with Rockets > Jeremy Lin with Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Honestly that's a little strawmen also.

I don't want 1) Lin to be the star of every game.

All I want is 1) Lin to be treated and judged FAIRLY. And I think you'll find most LOFs are like that.

To tell the truth 2) is more like 1.1) for me now. I've really grown fond of the Rockets watching them all season long, though some of the attitude and trolling on these forums does leave a bad taste in my mouth sometimes.

Harden is definitely the best player.

I'm not convinced he's the best leader and I'm certain he's not the best Point guard. But we might have to agree to disagree on that.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you do want Lin to be the hero of every game though.

Would you enjoy a Rockets game if they won and Lin didn't play at all? say he had the flu.

Thats the thing about this Rockets team, the best thing is that everyone is playing well together. if you focus on one player, you'll lose appreciation for players like Asik, Beverly, Parsons, Greg Smith etc.

its much more enjoyable if you watch the Rockets as a team first fan

3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Jeremy will only get better from here on out. He was basically a rookie last season and at the start of this season.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

While I agree for the most part, thy counting is not thy strongest suit ;)

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He commits stupid mistakes when he needs a rest, really awful turnovers and those fouls where he just lazily runs into the shooter (he's done that in both the games this year), coupled with according to the GM, he wasn't 100% until the last month.

Yes he gets yanked sometimes, whereas Harden doesn't, Harden is being given a much longer leash, it's not just the coach but the GM there, Harden is that guy, but he does need to learn how to be better at being that guy, and it's coming along well. Lin on the other hand has times where he just won't shoot, which for a shoot first pg is really bad. It's clear Mchale doesn't mind him shooting, as long as they're good shots, missing happens.

6. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I don't want Lin to be the star of every game, you putting words in my mouth there. At the start of the season I might not have watched the Rockets' sans Lin. If Lin was out sick for the playoffs, I'd still watch and support the Rockets. Though my affinity isn't yet strong enough that I'd keep following them if he left in the off season.

I've made long posts on the issue of team fandom before. People become fans of teams for different reasons. My cousin started following Manchester City because of Roque Santa Cruz as he was a fan of that player. Cruz only lasted a couple of seasons with City but my cousin is a die hard City fan now.

When a team is a big international team or wants to be one, then this kind of thing is bound to happen. The only thing that would stop me from becoming a full fledged Rockets' fan is if I feel unwelcome and unfairly disparaged by the existing fanbase.

7. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

More like my editing is not my strongest suit. I initially had two points, then I added in a third but didn't go back and edit above in the post. But it's a bit of a facetious thing to focus on isn't it? :p

8. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I accept that Lin isn't going to get the same leeway as Harden, and I think that's fair enough. But I also think that Mchale has been too harsh on him at times and I think it's because he hasn't really had faith in him, which I believe is a carry over from when Lin was cut last season by this same coaching staff.

I'd like to think that Lin has EARNED a little more faith by now, but Mchale seems like a bit of a stubborn old goat at times.

1 person likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you should be a fan of the team because of the team. it's like people who don't buy certain cars cause someone they don't like drives one.

I'm a Rockets fan, not a fan of the Rockets fans

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

The thing is, Linsanity, wont get up deep in the playoffs. Yes its fun to watch, but when push comes to shove we need to build around our best player, like any team would. Players have to make sacrifices, and everybody on the Rockets knows Harden is the man, he is the LEADER of the team, and players will have to make individual sacrifices because as Lin said himself, while its fun to be THE pg, the team is so much more dangerous with Harden as the focalpoint. Its about buying into the team concept, believing in what they're doing, and I think the fact we are 10 games over .500 with potentially the most inexperienced playoff bound team in NBA history, should turn a few player only fans to think, maybe this is working.

11. rainjacket

rainjacket Member

A car is an individual purchase, a basketball team is a shared experience by design.

12. howo13579

howo13579 Member

ya. what's Knicks mascot anyway?

13. rainjacket

rainjacket Member

I'm a fan of teams full of character guys who play exciting basketball, not of a franchise. If all the players of a team change over, then it's a different team. I never bought into being a fan just because of what city they happen to play in.

I believe that Lin one way or another has a positive effect on the chemistry of a team, and both the Knicks and Rockets are objectively more likable because of him.

14. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I think a lot of the LOF's will evolve into Rocket fans. Once they realize the fun of following a team and all of the moves and such, I would think they would understand that that is much more enjoyable than only following one player. But there is nothing wrong with having a favorite player and wanting him to do well as long as it's not at the teams expense.

15. imaginedragons

there are winning players and there are stats players (see: Marbury, Sprewell, etc). Lin is glue (not the sticky kind), and that comes from his smarts, knowing how to keep teammates happy. The rest of his game, the stats part, the understanding of the nuances, etc., have been coming along as he is obviously learning from playing and playing, learning from the benchings, learning from the mistakes; and these have certainly made him better than the NY version.

The absence of Melo alone already makes the Lin-Rockets situation better. Harden seems to have more of the winning qualities while Melo more of the stats qualities type of player.

16. umberto

umberto Member

May be so if more old timers with the mindset like yours, may be not if there're more old timers like tinman.;)

17. kumakun

kumakun Member

I don't want Lin to be the star focus of the game, he'll end up in the ER one day if he is. I enjoy him playing well behind Harden so he can do what he wants and teams have to pick their poison. The most important thing for people like me that follow Lin is that the team is happy, Lin is happy and he is playing unselfishly for the Lord. Only fake Lin fans want him pulling 20/10 every night. I agree in that I think he's playing better now than during Linsanity, the only thing that made Linsanity was the same ingredients in the Rockets game, teamwork, ball movement, heart and dedication and good chemistry. If Lin played Iso Melody ball I'd be as much of a Lin critic as anyone.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I am in nyc so i dont have access to postgame stuff. Would love to see some more analysis from calvin in general as i ALWAYS felt he had great insight into our teams in the past. Would it be too much to request postgame show vids?

19. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Sigh. Dude you just derailed this feel good thread. Can i introduce you to a kenny rogers song called the gambler? This kind of thread is definetely a good time to fold em

20. RoxD

RoxD Member

Harden is the man, the LEADING scorer of the team, not necessarily the LEADER of the team.