1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin to be bought out by Hawks, sign with Toronto

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Feb 11, 2019.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    @Zboy

King1 likes this.
  3. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

That’s Zboy???

4. tinman

Supporting Member

The difference between Rockets fans and LOFs are that the Rockets fans truly love the Rockets.
    LOFs don't love Lin at all. Lin is just a tool used so they can spread their insecurity through lies onto team sites.

Rockets fans love the Rockets so they go a site which was built because someone loved the Rockets.

Lin fans act like viruses and try to infect team sites.

5. mig0s

mig0s Member

First start for Lin in 2 years. Goes 0-7
    LOFs punching air right now

dreamshakin and tinman like this.
  6. Caprah

Caprah Member

If it wasn’t for harden Lin would be a superstar lol it’s easier to live in denial then to face the reality of maybe Lin is just not that good. It’s easier to scapegoat and blame others then face the cold hard fact that Lin is nothing more then a average player

7. yoeddy

Yeah, yikes...pretty bad game for Lin. He hasn’t found his scoring yet for Toronto, which is strange since he was shooting at a career best FG% with Atlanta just a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully he finds his shot soon...

8. yoeddy

I have been a fan of Lin’s largely because of his underdog story. Have never thought he would be a superstar...was happy with Linsanity, but always knew he was solid-but-not-spectacular as his entire basketball career from high school to college was about him being an all-around player that could do a little bit of everything but not be amazing at anything. So sure...I am and always have been “facing the cold hard fact that Lin is nothing more than an average player”...but he is not the horrible player that some people like to claim. He’s been in the NBA for nearly 10 years and has been a starter or a 6th man for most of it...so you could even argue that he is better than average. D’Antoni said that Lin has the skills to be a solid NBA player, but that given his particular strengths that he can be outstanding in the right circumstance (unfortunately, he’s only had that circumstance for a brief time in his career with Linsanity).

9. Nook

Nook Member

Jeremy had some natural talent.

Unfortunately he is mentally weak, passive aggressive and isn’t emotionally equipped for success.

tinman and Chamillionaire like this.
  10. VanityHalfBlack

1 pt in 25 min play, yikes

tinman likes this.
  11. yoeddy

What indication do you have that he is mentally weak? Given the odds he has beaten to even make it in the NBA, let alone a 9+ year career, seems like he'd need a ton of mental toughness. Getting to the paint (his biggest strength) requires a tremendous amount of aggressiveness.

12. Nook

Nook Member

What indication? His own comments about his struggles with confidence. His admission that he was hurt by how the Knicks handled him........ his passive aggressive BS when the Rockets were courting Carmelo Anthony. His discussions about how the fans in NY were starting to get to him.

He doesn't have the unfailing confidence that a lot of players have. I give him respect for being willing to discuss it, but it is also why he hasn't been what he could have been.

I will never call him a failure, he has basically played a decade and has made money. However, he has been limited in part because of his confidence issues and his passive aggressiveness.

13. yoeddy

I'm going to guess that lots of NBA players not named Lebron or The Beard don't have unfailing confidence, either. Just because he's willing to talk about the challenges and how it made him feel doesn't mean that he's mentally weak...it just means he's willing to share his thoughts and feelings. That he's persevered through all the trash talking he gets (let alone a huge injury last year) and is still going strong is, as I said before, more an indication that he is mentally very tough. That he's willing to expose himself by talking about it might even indicate that he's mentally even stronger than most.

Not sure what you think "could have been" is...but I don't think his ceiling was anything more than being a starting PG on a playoff-calibre team. Certainly I never expected to see him become an All-Star, and yes, he's fallen short of his ceiling, but I wouldn't say that lack of mental toughness was any major part of that. That he didn't reach his ceiling was very much situational...like many players who reached the NBA without the physical talents of players like Harden or Westbrook or CP3, Lin never found himself in a situation where he could develop his game. Because of Linsanity (and the contracts and microscope that came with it), expectations for him became immediately high, and that made his life a pressure-cooker from the beginning. Remember, this is a guy who played in the Ivy League...no reasonable basketball fan expects an Ivy League player to come into the NBA and be ready to be a starter right off the bat. As a result, he's only been with the same team 2 consecutive years twice in his career (and only once where he wasn't injured for most of it)...so no continuity or real opportunity develop. Again...this is not unique to Lin, but you look at how the Nets have developed Joe Harris and Spencer Dinwiddie...without that development focus, those guys would be G Leaguers or out of the league by now...but now they are solid NBA players. Lin (and many other players) didn't get that chance...luckily for Lin, he has enough talent to contribute and stay in the league.

14. Nook

Nook Member

If you want to make excuses for Jeremy Lin, go ahead. I don't think that Jeremy Lin is a quitter but he is certainly mentally fragile and doubts himself to be counted on in crucial situations. There is a reason that he has played for so many teams.

I'm not buying the idea that Lin didn't get a chance to develop. He certainly did. He consistently got minutes since his second season in the NBA. Hell, he got 30 minutes a night in Houston over two seasons, and that was after getting heavy minutes with the Knicks.

Jeremy Lin is who he is. He is an NBA player, but I don't want him on the floor for my team in a playoff situation.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

You realize you are replying to a poster who has admitted joining MULTIPLE sites for Jeremy Lin including MULTIPLE Lakers site

You have a better chance of convincing Christians to worship the Devil.

The Lin Only Fans need to leave all team sites

Nook likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Lin Only Fans will not allow team fans to organically talk about Lin amongst themselves.
    This is the ONLY REASON they join team sites.

It use to be that you know you were talking amongst Rockets fans not any outsiders here.

There was a Lin discussion before he joined the Rockets, it was pretty normal like every other thread here.'

This shows why you need to remove all player only fans, you think you are getting into a realistic conversation but you are really talking to lunatics.

17. yoeddy

Well, these are not excuses...they are simply the reality that many NBA players face in their careers. Bottom line is that Jeremy Lin did not have the talent to step into the NBA and be a polished player, and he did not have the runway that some players get to work through their mistakes and develop in a way to reach his full potential. As far as doubting himself in critical situations, Linsanity was the prime example of the opposite of that...he was a day or two away from getting cut probably forever from the NBA and he stepped up and delivered. Compare that to Trae Young, who was absolutely awful for the first half of this season...but Atlanta gave him room to make mistakes and told him not to worry, and he has emerged from that much improved. Look at what D’Antoni told Lin with the Knicks, “ don’t worry about the turnovers”...full support from his coach to allow him to play through his mistakes, and Lin played great. “Getting minutes” is only part of development. And to be clear, I’m not saying Lin is the only one to be like this. Rather, the majority of NBA players don’t get good development opportunities.

Anyways, my main point here is that I disagree with the notion that Lin is mentally fragile. He’s just come back from an injury that has ended many other players’ careers, and you can’t do that if you are mentally fragile.

18. yoeddy

Why do you keep writing this different ways? Why not just save some text and cut-paste it when you need it? That would save you a ton of effort.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Clutchfans discussing Lin
    [​IMG]

When a LOF jumps into the discussion
    [​IMG]

20. Ohreally

Ohreally Contributing Member

I'm ready for the excuses. I wonder whose to blame for when Lin plays like doodoo.