1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik #20 on NBA's worst contracts list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BullRider, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

That is precisely Simmons motivation for attacking them at every try, maybe not so much Rondo, but if they do, watch how quickly they become non factors.

2. Raven

Raven Member

There are factors not being mentioned, nor will the media bother mentioning them. One of them is this, a lot of those bad contracts have a similarity, those players could have been acquired for less money, but that wasn't an option with Lin or Assik. It was either back load the contract offers or have the Knicks and Bulls match. There was no middle ground. Based on what Morey knew then, they were both logical (and crafty) moves designed to acquire two young assets, both healthy, not even in their prime. They were both great pick ups. The fact the Rockets now have Dwight and James doesn't mean that Morey screwed up when he landed Assik and Lin, it means simply means he followed up two triples with two home runs.

3. Jt29

Jt29 Member

well said.;)

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Expiring contracts for good players that count only $8mil against the cap are not bad contracts.

Yeah, the cash outflow is a little more, but that's not a big deal in an era when teams try to circumvent the cap all the time.

5. SPBR

SPBR Member

Would rep if I knew how.

6. Mr. Clutch

Hit the rep button.

7. SPBR

SPBR Member

Forgive my ignorance. Where can I find the rep button?

I only see it a +/- feedback button, and only on my replies. :confused:

8. Mr. Clutch

Yeah, that's it.

But I think you may have to be a contributing member (donate to the site).

9. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

whats wrong with you Rox fans...

everyone knows you signed Lin and Asik to 3 year deals because you were looking to 2015... acting like this team was going to go anywhere the way it was comprised...

no Morey was blowing up the team.... and you got Lucky to land Harden and Howard ahead of schedule... lets not pretend it was anything but that

dreaming for a Point Guard who gets multiple picks set for him on his Suns team

while your very own Point Guard gets relegated to the 6th man spot and spot up 3 pointers

yes lets pretend Harden would have let Dragic be the man on this team

10. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

This post needs to be on the front page of CF. Everyone making stuff up, or projecting their dislike for one player, and this is the most sensible one yet.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I think one way to judge a contract as good or bad is the ease with which you can move it around or what value that player has at any time in the market.

Asik despite all his cry-babyness and "injury" and despite having lost some value still has positive value around the league. A double double center and a top 5 defender at his position. I can see a team offering a first round pick for Asik

Lin OTOH has almost neutral value to negative value with that contract meaning we'd in all likelihood have to take up more contracts to get rid of him. I can't see any team willing to give up a first round pick for a middling at best PG.

12. zdrav

zdrav Member

If Lin and Asik are bad contracts at $15 million a year, then they were steals at $5 million a year.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Theres only one year left to their contracts. How is this a bad thing?

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I gotta say, I laugh every time I read someone whining about screens/picks. In all my time following basketball I have never seen a group of fans so obsessed with screens/picks.

Not saying they don't help, but I don't buy into the notion that Lin never gets picks or that they are this big reason he doesn't compare favorably to some other PGs.

15. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

It is difficult to gauge how it affects his performance, but you can pull Synergy data to see that Lin gets way fewer P&R plays than most PGs. In fact, the whole Rockets team does not play P&R as often as other teams.

16. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Yep. These are two of Morey's screw ups, especially the Lin contract. Dragic is so much better than Lin it's ridiculous

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Were you here before 2013? Did you lurk? Did you even read an article written by anyone who covered the Dragic situation? Lin was option B for Morey. Dragic was option A. Secondly, Dragic is 20 and 6 right now. You really think Lin couldn't average that as the first option and primary ball handler? :rolleyes:

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Calling Lin a great pick up is definitely your opinion. Saying "there was no middle ground" in matching that NY offer is kinda misleading given Morey did not have to match that offer. There was nobody forcing us to sign Jeremy Lin. He's already had his starting position taken from him, and he's currently being shopped after one season. One could argue that signing him to that contract was a mistake. He started off last year very poor and ended last year's playoff injured. How exactly was that a crafty signing?

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

No, I don't

20. hamsession

hamsession Member

Having your PG help the team beat expectations and make it into the playoffs after a 3 year drought is a bad pickup?