1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin needs to be the sixth man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iam, Oct 9, 2013.

1. iam

iam Member

I've been running some statistical analysis, and Jeremy Lin is a top 6 PG at finishing at the rim. Nothing new to note but how can we make any sense of this... See image below. Lin has disappointed with his outside range, and maybe he improved it. He's in the bottom half for usage rate, since James Harden controls the ball. And with such a high FG% at the rim, he should be used as the pick-and-roll player and not spot-up shooting.

Just like how Harden was for OKC, make Jeremy the sixth man! He can run the show with Asik off the bench. Potentially get his rhythm going as Harden did in OKC and be set for the 4th quarter.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

The season is starting man...... off season is over

3. keldraco

keldraco Member

jeremy is not going to play a lot of 4Q i guess

4. gefforycook

gefforycook Member

that dose of drug does last over summer. Better start to make hangover IV for folks like you.

5. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

Huh? It's not outlandish to suggest Lim should be sixth man and I'm a Lin guy.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It probably makes sense to make him the 6th man if Howard and Harden are going to dominate the ball in the starting set and what they really need is a spot-up shooter and stout defender. Lin may be good to run pnr with Howard, but Harden also does that well. As a 6th man coming in when Harden sits, he can dominate the ball-handling, run the pnr, create scoring opportunities, etc., and make sure there's no fall-off of offensive pressure. Doesn't mean Beverley is better; Bev doesn't make as good a spark-plug as Lin. Bev is better suited as a cog supporting the stars.

7. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

no............

1)Harden is playing 40+ minutes. You can hardly separate Lin and Harden.
    2)Lin + Harden + Howard's chemistry works well on the first preseason game. Lin made Harden with high efficiency and get Howard easy bucket. Well balanced the team.

8. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

I hope your second post is better.

9. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Lin is getting paid to much to be a 6 man... and his offense is not instant let him run and throw lobs

10. JBar

JBar Rookie

Stagger minutes so attacking guard (either Lin or Harden) is always on court. Three-man guard rotation, with very early substitution of Bev for Lin (and of Asik for D-Mo). That way fresh Bev gets to really go after opposing starting point guard when he's already a little tired.

11. Play07

Play07 Member

THE GOOD
    I like Jlin over bev. but at the same time I will admitt both play great basketball ! I was always for lin starting but now I feel like if asik/lin/casspi (whoever fills delfinos) role come off the bench this could possibly help the rockets make a deeper playoff run and its all about the TEAM. Spurs had ginbolli, heat have Allen, OKC harden, Knicks J.R smith they all still get their minutes and are even ranked higher than plenty starters all over the league. With Bev being in that second lineup yes he has defense but the offense will slow down because of his ability to drive, pass, pnR, and get other teammates involved like LIN can. Bev can also play his same amount minutes but handle the other teams PG on defense straight out the gates. Lin could still get more minutes and close out games and feel comfortable being able to come in and attack.
    The BAD
    Lin (+16) team when player was on the floor
    Bev (-8) team when player was on the floor
    Last game Harden actually didn’t control the ball as much as lin and he was successful and efficient. That worked great for the TEAM! But the offense struggled when lin was not on the floor. Mchale and the coaching staff seemed to have a offense that doesn’t rely on the Harden ISO anymore. With Lin out of starting lineup will Harden go back to the ISO ways? Bev. Usually dribbles up the court and then hands ball to harden and then runs LEFT through the paint to the 3 point line then harden takes over the PG role (I watched every game this always happens). Does Dwight still get his touches? Will the offense suffer from the lack of lins great passing ability and ability to drop passes off in smaller pockets better than anyone on this team?

12. Rox23

Rox23 Member

It's always those who know next-to-nothing about the latest Rockets news and analysis who start these kinds of threads.

Rox coaching staff (namely Chris Fitch) has stated explicitly in recent interviews that this year's offense will be different. They want to take the ball out of Harden's hands to allow for a more "free flowing" offense and for Harden to expend more energy on D. The Rockets do not want the ball in Harden's hands this year. Do you know what that means??? It means that Beverley is not running the point or else we'll suck.

Did you notice in the first scrimmage that Lin ran the point when he was in there, then Bev ran the point when he was in there, but Harden ran the point not at all? Well, touché. Bev's not a playmaker, it was all ISO's when he was in. Won't happen.

Educate yourself before starting threads like this.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

The scrimmage video i posted last night had Bev, Harden. Parsons, Jones, Howard on black team.

Lin, brooks, brewer, casspi, dmo, on white

then its a video someone else posted where mchale was going over play with bev and harden lin was way off to side by the scoring table. This could mean nothing but dont think that it’s just no way possible mchale will ever do it.

14. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

why dont we make Harden six man and he can set the record for # of six man awards ever won. i think he can get 3-4 in a row

15. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

How many top 6th man players do you knoware point guards? Jarrett Jack is the only one I can think of, and that's cause Steph Curry was the point guard. There isn't a point guard in the league that plays 6th man when he is better and clearly better in initiating the offense than the starting point guard.

McHale can stagger minutes with Harden, and Bev can get extended minutes, but Lin is the starter.

The fact of the matter is if Lin is 6th man he'll only get to play about 10 minutes without Harden and as the sole play maker. Staggering minutes with Lin and Harden will almost get you the same result. This has already been discussed several times, yet people keep making threads about this

16. FatChad

FatChad Rookie

I did notice we got some easy buckets since he's a lockdown perimeter defensive player.

17. keldraco

keldraco Member

we dont need "every other games". It the same in the pelicans game. When lin is out, it harden iso.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Believe it or not, but this actually isn't a new topic of discussion here.

However, if I'm McHale I wouldn't be completely opposed to it IF-

A. The team gets off to a slow start
    B. The bench is having trouble scoring
    C. Lin is having to play off the ball too much & not hitting the 3 well enough

If everything goes to plan though, and there isn't much of a drop off in offensive production off the bench... I keep Lin in the starting lineup for good.

The other night, the starters looked great on both end of the court, and Lin was a big part of what they were doing. Right now, you roll with Lin in the starting lineup for the first few weeks of the season, and see what happens from there.

19. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

The biggest problem with Lin not starting or not finishing, is that his self-confidence might go down again. It would just lower his skill and his mindset. Meaning he won't be a good sixth man.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I hope Jeremy Lin's confidence isn't as fragile as some of you are describing it to be.

His confidence goes down if he doesn't get the ball, it goes down if McHale benches him, it goes down if he doesn't shoot, it goes down if his shot isn't going in, it goes down if McHale is harsh on him, it goes down if he comes off the bench.

I'm pretty sure Lin's mindset is stronger than that, but if it's really this weak then he will never become a top PG.

1 person likes this.