1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin Jersey BS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by colts_1994, Jul 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Daryl Morey: &quot;..It's not personal. My job is every day figure out how to win. Sometimes it creates challenging situations.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/484473177087569921">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

You're missing the point, but I think the only real issue is whether or not they notified him.

Lin's a smart guy, he knows if Melo comes he's gone

3. pakattak

pakattak Member

Lol ok mr tough guy.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The fact that this is such a big deal is hilarious to me. Who cares what number he is? If Melo comes Lin is gone. The number is irrelevant.

5. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets GM Daryl Morey on Toyota Center marquee w/ pictures of Carmelo Anthony wearing #7(Jeremy Lin's #): &quot;It's always a challenging(more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/484472328579866625">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Daryl Morey: &quot;situation during free agency.You are always having to recruit players &amp; there might be current players at current(more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/484472421194297344">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Daryl Morey: &quot;..positions, might be people with the current numbers. It's unfortunate that it's often hard to handle. Reality is(more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/484472543063982080">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Daryl Morey: &quot;.. it's standard practice.When we went after Chris Bosh a few years ago,we had him N Luis)Scola's number. When we(more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/484472716842377217">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Daryl Morey: &quot;.. went after Dwight Howard he had (Pat) Beverley's number. I get the sensitivity &amp; I hate that it creates(more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/484472838259085312">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Daryl Morey: &quot;..some hurt feelings.I don't like that,but that's obviously Carmelo Anthony's number, that's the number he wants.(more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/484472966327980032">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Daryl Morey: &quot;..He told us that. Bottomline, if Carmelo comes Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin have to be traded. It's just math.(more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/484473069356855296">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Level of play and talent is what determines how a player is treated in not just the NBA but most sports. Popular players get free plane/limo rides and dinner when being courted. Role players like Lin get passed around like a hot potato and unless they are signing for cheap, rarely get a say in where they go. It's just business.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Just admit the organization made a honest mistake, and move on, instead of trying to cover it up through Woj and get the lie exposed.

All in all, it doesn't matter since Lin is gone anyway, but it did show a bit of true color of the organization.

1 person likes this.
  8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Only Lebron James playing for the mimimum deserves respect

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lol so basically only good players deserve respect? who the hell are you?

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I'm not missing the point. I don't think it was disrespectful, just business. Egos are always bruised during free agency and trades. It comes with the business. The better question should be, why does anyone care that an irrelevant player's number is being used?

11. AvgJoe

That's more like it. Now at least it is open. But I would think Melo wants #15

12. YourSecretLover

with or without melo, lin is gone

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Holy ish! that last part about the Lin and Asik have to be traded. That's harsh.

14. AvgJoe

Obviously Lin's off court influence is much bigger than his on court influence. It shows through media's interest in him. Anywhere there is controversy involve Lin, there will be lots of media discussions.

15. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Trollers gon troll. Well because FTW Rockets FTW is worth a fraction of what Lin is worth than he deserves zero respect as well as a person and a human being.

16. Mr. Space City

lin fans having a meltdown because of the pending departure of jeremy lin from the rockets.

we all knew this day would come.

17. Stats

Stats Member

I think this whole thing is a bit overblown. Like Morey said, they used Bev & Scola's number before.

That being said, it's not just math. Handling player sensitivities is also a GM's role and GM/player relationships are important, too. Houston will need to attract free agent role players on the cheap looking for rings at some point. With a reputation of "it's just math," can role players trust Morey's promises?

I'm not sure if it has a huge impact, since this whole players/contracts as "asset" idea is relatively new on the nba scene.

18. AvgJoe

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Daryl Morey: &quot;..It's not personal. My job is every day figure out how to win. Sometimes it creates challenging situations.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/484473177087569921">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

This is the last part. Trading them part is harsh, but that is understandable. I like how Morey is open about it. If he did do this earlier, there won't be as much as blow up of the Melo poster thing

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Like I said, that's just the media being the media and LoF's being LoF's. They like to raise a stink about everything. The truth of the matter is after a few days, it won't matter nor will it sway the free agents we are recruiting one way or another. Lin is simply irrelevant towards what REALLY matters, basketball and winning.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

1. #7 is Melo's current number
    2. #15 was given to Capella
    3. Lin is likely on his way out if Melo gets here.

It's very simple to get why the Rockets did this. Unless you're a Lin groupie

Like Morey says, he does what is best to WIN and for the Rockets, not to appease or cater to a certain role player or his fans.