1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin is the best backup point guard in the NBA - with poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 9, 2014.

?

Best backup point guard in the NBA?

Poll closed Apr 8, 2014.
  1. Jeremy Lin

51.5%
  2. Reggie Jackson

33.5%
  3. Darren Collison

5.6%
  4. Jarrett Jack

4.5%
  5. Devin Harris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

4.9%
  1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Mo Williams when he went into the game seemed to take his matchup with Lin personally. Got that tunnel vision, initially made all his shots but by the end of the game we were able to use his Lin-hate and turn it on him.

He's not the only one. Miami goes straight at Lin like we all know. No one wants to bring this up, but I feel like there's more than a few NBA players who take it as an affront that Lin is able to play well in the NBA. It's all good right now, because Lin's where he belongs: as the third offensive option on a championship contender. As soon as he realizes that this is the best way to maximize his legacy, rather than as the primary ballhandler on a perennial lotto team, then everything will be peachy. Whenever anyone wants to step up to Lin, he's got the entire Rockets team at his back. To beat Lin you gotta beat Parsons, you gotta beat Dwight and Harden, you gotta beat Patrick MF'in Beverley.

2. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Dont know about backup pg but he's still in the running for 6th man of the year.

3. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

reggie

I disagree with all those posters claiming reggie is a better backup PG than jeremy. If you notice, jeremy's bad patch has coincided with reggie's rough patch as well. Look at all the recent OKC games he has been terrible. In fact, reggie has been much better starting for OKC (without westbrook) than coming off the bench. I consider them rather on par in terms of production.

4. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

I'm a homer

5. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

No it shouldn't, you either are or aren't. If you're better shouldn't you be paid better.

6. tonyteetime

tonyteetime Member

Lin would be a starter on many nba teams. Since we have our best player Harden orchestrating the offense, it makes sense that Lin comes off the bench and run our second unit.

7. downbytheriver

**Oh sheesh**, another kneejerk homer thread. It is great there are so many that want him to succeed but let's be realistic as fans of the nba and not just one team.

Crawford is light years more dangerous.

JR Smith's season last year was more lethal than Lin at his best.

The thing that makes them 6th men is their inconsistency, although Crawford improved upon that later in his career.

Former Rockets PG Mike James had a stretch of games where he was a legit ALl Star and played at a higher level than lin's stretch of games, but he was out of the league soon.

Juan Barea was very effective playing off of Dirk, even won a few playoff games for Dallas, but not so good when he left Dallas.

These are guys that cannot succeed at every level in every situation, but when they find a role on a team without the spotlight on them it suits them best.

Yes, JLin hit a big 3 last game, but he missed many more that killed momentum. 2-7. Let's wait for a consistent run of games before we crown anyone anything, or the backlash will be brutal. DO NOT brand me a LOH, just keep calm and let the results speak for themselves instead of isolated performances.

1 person likes this.
  8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Well, he's definitely the highest paid back up in the league:rolleyes:

9. downbytheriver

THis is a mistake alot of naive fans fall into. You see 1 good play out of 10 possible situations and forget all else.

Actually, backup PG's can be very clutch at times. Luther Head. Juan Barea. Steve Blake. Luke Ridnour. They all have 20+ point games at times. But the consistency, especially once teams adjust, is what determines whether they stay in this league.

Lin is an undersized 2 slasher. That is his strength that Mchale rightfully spotted and what he needs to focus on.

Calderon doesn't put up monstrous numbers but the reason he is a starter on whatever team he goes to is because he is consistent, reliable and intelligent in ALL situations. A true PG.

10. Dei

Dei Member

Seriously, why is this a 2-star thread? Feels like the LOFs 1-starred it since it has "Jeremy Lin" and "back-up" in the title.

11. downbytheriver

Stop picking fights man

I think people are annoyed with the kneejerk reactions crowning Lin anything

They just want some consistency or confidence first.

Life101: You can't crown someone who can't prove themselve!!

12. Dei

Dei Member

^Ah, I see. Was just wondering, is all.

13. FeaR

FeaR Member

He is not but i don't have a problem with that ... he should just be aggressive off the bench.

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

tough call. I think reggie Jackson; there are other worthy of consideration that are not listed: Patty Mills, Mo Williams, Grevis Vasques, ... Nick Calathes did OK, too, when Conley was injured...

15. TheJet

TheJet Member

Total body of work so far I'd have to lean towards Jackson. However if Lin's back is healed up and he keeps (consistently) bringing it like he has recently it could swing in his favor.

16. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

Funny how fickle fans in general are. If Lin has an average game next game, a lot of people who support him now, will start to question.

17. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I'm going to say Reggie because of his playoff performance last year. Hope this year Lin changes that.

18. Honeybager81

Honeybager81 Member

Good observation, I am a Lin fan, I don't think being a 6th man in a team was what jeremy envisioned himself to be. But for this team, he is gradually adjusting to be this role. Lin only played 30+ games as a 6th man, it is too really to judge him or rank him among 6th men. Lin has flaws, but kid is getting better, more importantly, know how to play the game and be a team player complementing his teammates. He will only gets better.

19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

even Les doesn't mind.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Jamal Crawford disagrees